Popular Tags: [View All]
Grant Smith
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So after being in the hobby for about one year now, this weekend I finally felt like my wife, my son, and myself were all ready to graduate up to some heavier games that are out there. So, a trip to the local FLGS saw the purchase of Heroscape (son's choice), Pirate's Cove (wife's choice), and my 2 choices of Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation and Agricola.

I have been aching to get Agricola and try it out for a few months now, but have patiently bided my time until I felt like my wife and son would "get" it. So after bringing it home and setting it up last night, we sat down to play our first game o' the 'gric tonight.

The result? I am thoroughly and hopelessly addicted. Seriously... I didn't really know what to expect from the game once we started playing it, but it really was more than what I thought it would be. And I didn't come to that realization until about Round 7 when I looked up and went "holy crap, we are halfway done and I haven't developed jack!". The whole game just caught me by surprise. It was like I thought I knew the options I had in front of me... but it was not until halfway through the game that I really saw the myriad of choices to be made and strategy that needed to be employed in order to have a good score at the end.

I mean, the game has been over for 3 hours and I have been replaying it in my mind over and over trying to think what I should have done or what can I do next time we play. Wow... that has not ever happened to me after a game. Lord of the Rings was a bit that way for me, as was Pandemic... but nothing to the extent of this.

Agricola, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Summers
United States
Ammon
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice post. So you'll figure everything out in your head about what you should have done and the next game you'll have different occupations and improvements, effectively throwing your plan in the garbage I love this game as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.