Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
As Above, So Below
badge
My books are forgeries. Nobody wrote them. - Philip K. Dick
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming group plays regularly in a coffee shop. Occasionally we get rubberneckers who have never seen a game that is produced in quantities with fewer than 6 zeros. Today, while playing Cosmic Encounter, I heard something I hadn't heard before though. An older man man stepped up to me and asked "Is this game just like Pokémon?" I was struck dumb but Jeff stepped into the breach with "Yes. Yes, this game is exactly like Pokémon." Once I regained my powers of speech I explained that, actually, we were playing a re-issue of a game that was more than thirty years old, much older than Pokémon. I didn't add "and much cooler."

I still have my old Eon set of Cosmic Encounter, but I'm glad I picked up the new one. I didn't have all the old expansions so most of the aliens, the flare cards and the tech cards are all new to me. Plus the bits and artwork are much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
An amazing question for a gamer to hear. But maybe the bystander deserves a little credit too for asking. Maybe he was just trying to relate it to something he knew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Another person getting interesting in board games is always a good thing.

Some people are clueless to other games besides the walmart/toys r us staples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
you have clearly never played a collectible card game in a public place before

(that's the ONLY question I got... and got every single time... when playing Magic, L5R, etc. in a restaurant)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing Dominion on my lunch break and got asked if the game was like Dungeons and Dragons. Then the person told me she use to play D&D all the time. I tried to explain the game in a very general way but I was thinking how could you mistake stacks of cards for an RPG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A T
United States
California
flag msg tools
I used to play mtg at school. People would ask if my friends and I were playing Yu-Gi-Oh or Pokemon.

Cosmic Encounter sounds interesting. More games to add to my wish list
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Carpenter
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and my GF were playing Catan Card Game in a pub on a camping holiday. The landlady came over for a look and asked what the game was about. I tried a simplistic explanation along the lines of "You get resources and spend them to create settlements and cities."
"Oh" she says "It's just like Monopoly then!"

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
how could you mistake stacks of cards for an RPG?

Maybe she didn't. People also ask questions such "are you alright?" and "how was your day?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernesto Cabrera
Mexico
Mexico
D.F.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter-> Magic the Gathering -> Pokémon

Copies of Yugioh! all of them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb

You handled that situation quite effectively.

thumbsup

There is no reason to ridicule a person because they lack knowledge of a board game's pedigree. As another Geek already mentioned, the fact that the question was asked indicates that this person might be interested in games.

A snarky response might seem clever to a witty Geek with a comprehensive understanding of the hobby. It could also drive away a potential game buddy and BGG suppporter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We used to have a regular L5R night in a local pub (good tables, open late, beer, big screen football....). We'd frequently get asked by other drinkers what we were doing and we were usually lubricated enough to field their questions amiably and without embarrassment.

One night I was getting near the end of a tight game with my sad bachelor mate (not that all bachelors are sad, but unfortunately Murray is) and a young lady approached us. After watching for a couple of minutes she asked if we were doing Tarot readings. My mate was absorbed in the game and without even looking up (I said he was sad) said "Yep, something like that."

The young lady then asked "Cool. Would you do me?"

Without skipping a beat and still without looking away from the game my mate said, "Sure thing, lady, but you'll have to wait until I've finished playing cards."

Cringefully un-PC, particularly since my wife was having a drink with us, but still gives us a giggle when we remember it.

Brent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayfield
United States
flag msg tools
did you ask him if he wanted to play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Deniz Bucak
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
As Above, So Below
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:
An amazing question for a gamer to hear. But maybe the bystander deserves a little credit too for asking. Maybe he was just trying to relate it to something he knew.

I think if he actually knew Pokemon, he would realize that that Cosmic Encounter was something different. More likely he was relating it to something he had heard his grandkids talk about about but not actually witnessed himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Deniz Bucak
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
As Above, So Below
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mayfield703 wrote:
did you ask him if he wanted to play?

He was clearly on his way out and we were in the middle of a game, so no. I do ask people to join us though, and we have picked up one member of the group that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.