Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Blackham
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read through the forums here but can't seem to find an official answer, is there official answers to these?

1. If the Selurin Theurge is the only hero in your hand does it get discarded?

2. Goodberries will turn the attack bonus of an edged weapon equipped to said hero into magic attack?

3. If a monster has a battle effect 'destroy a weapon' and Spear is the only weapon in your hand, are you able to destroy the spear for its bonus?

4. When visiting the village, if you use a Village effect on a card are you able to also use its coin value for purchasing (assuming it has a coin value of course)?

I feel like I'm missing something, I'm sure it will spring to mind in a future playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The answers to your questions lie in the most recent version of the rulebook, available here and on the official website. Version 1.4 is what you are looking for, I think.

I am pretty sure they are all covered, and in fact I think a few of them (#2 and #3) are addressed in the original rulebook.

Anyway, check out the updated rules - it goes card by card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Blackham
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the rules before posting. I read them again after reading your incredibly helpful reply, and I am still unsure. This is a very poorly written rule book even at v1.4 in my opinion and that doesn't help at all.

The goodberries question isn't fully answered in the book.... hence my asking here, it does say the hero's final attack value becomes magic attack, but I can't find anywhere that says a weapon adds to the hero's attack value specifically, how do I know the weapons attack bonus isn't kept separate from the hero's attack bonus until the final tally for the 'total' attack value?

Anyways.. still hoping to find answers to these questions. Thank you

HuckmanT wrote:
The answers to your questions lie in the most recent version of the rulebook, available here and on the official website. Version 1.4 is what you are looking for, I think.

I am pretty sure they are all covered, and in fact I think a few of them (#2 and #3) are addressed in the original rulebook.

Anyway, check out the updated rules - it goes card by card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
OtisBFilthy wrote:
I've read through the forums here but can't seem to find an official answer, is there official answers to these?

2. Goodberries will turn the attack bonus of an edged weapon equipped to said hero into magic attack?

3. If a monster has a battle effect 'destroy a weapon' and Spear is the only weapon in your hand, are you able to destroy the spear for its bonus?

4. When visiting the village, if you use a Village effect on a card are you able to also use its coin value for purchasing (assuming it has a coin value of course)?

I feel like I'm missing something, I'm sure it will spring to mind in a future playing.

Well although Tim is correct and some of these questions could be answered using the rulebook and logic, I'll gladly answer them anyhow to clear up some of the questions.

1) There is a minor wording issue on the card. Effects like these cause OTHER players to discard cards, not the player activating the ability. The confusion is the lack of the word OTHER.

2) No, the goodberries ONLY effect the Heroes, not their weapons. Any attack bonus generated by the Hero itself is counted.

3) Yes, the use of Dungeon Abilities clearly takes place before the activation of Battle Effects. Please see rulebook v1.4 page 4 for the appropriate turn order. This clears up nearly all timing issues.

4) The answer is the same as the above. If the card is not destroyed by its effects, it can still be used for gold value. This is again covered by the turn order listing for Visiting the Village, which can be found on page 4 of rulebook version 1.4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hawks
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I'll try to answer your questions.

1. Hmm... At first I read the card as saying other players, so I would say no. However, I just reread my card to make sure and it doesn't have that important word. A strict literal interpretation would be you do have to discard a hero, even if it's the Theurge. You could immediately pick him up again, but then you wouldn't get the benefit of any heroes your opponents discarded.

2. I'm pretty sure weapon bonuses are added to the equipped hero, so Goodberries would turn the entire attack (hero and weapon) magical.

3. Monster's battle effects only apply to what you have at the end of battle, after you use any effects. So if you destroy Spear using it's effect, it doesn't count as being in your hand when resolving Battle effects. So, you can (and probably should) destroy the Spear.

4. This one I'm the most confident about. You can use any coin you have in your hand, even if you're using it's effect. You only don't count coin if the card is destroyed by some effect.

Edit: Dang it, ninja'd. And half wrong. Still, I would say these are pretty confusing issues and need to be looked at in the next revision of the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Blackham
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I was under the impression that there was no particular order to how you resolved your turn and took page 4 stuff as a listing of what you could do. Thanks for the response.

slaqr wrote:
OtisBFilthy wrote:

Well although Tim is correct and some of these questions could be answered using the rulebook and logic, I'll gladly answer them anyhow to clear up some of the questions.

1) There is a minor wording issue on the card. Effects like these cause OTHER players to discard cards, not the player activating the ability. The confusion is the lack of the word OTHER.

2) No, the goodberries ONLY effect the Heroes, not their weapons. Any attack bonus generated by the Hero itself is counted.

3) Yes, the use of Dungeon Abilities clearly takes place before the activation of Battle Effects. Please see rulebook v1.4 page 4 for the appropriate turn order. This clears up nearly all timing issues.

4) The answer is the same as the above. If the card is not destroyed by its effects, it can still be used for gold value. This is again covered by the turn order listing for Visiting the Village, which can be found on page 4 of rulebook version 1.4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
OtisBFilthy wrote:
Ah, I was under the impression that there was no particular order to how you resolved your turn and took page 4 stuff as a listing of what you could do. Thanks for the response.

slaqr wrote:
OtisBFilthy wrote:

Hmm...i'm pretty sure it states "in order" in the rules...too lazy to confirm at the moment but i'm virtually positive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.