Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a big anniversary weekend in Wellington this year with Capcon and Wellycon both running board games, and by all accounts it was a bumper weekend all round. I'll update you on the Wellycon Warmup and hopefully a Capcon rep can put up a quick review to tempt us for next year. Sorry no photo's this year, though I saw a couple of cameras so hopefully someone cna post a shot or two to show off the snazzy new venue.

T’was a cloudy misty day and all was not well in Wellywood. The beaches were empty and the kids were forced inside from the persistent threat of drizzle. All in all a bad state of affairs. Thank goodness for the Wellycon Warmup a 12 hour festival of gaming.

Our good friend Peter was in fine form for this event and had organised a fantastic venue at Thistle hall. It was his first organisational outing and he surpassed anything I've ever done. There was plenty of space and newsprint adorned all the tables to ensure our beautiful games were well protected and well played. There were pads for scoring, markers for recording games, ambient music and tea and coffee was provided. All is all a fantastic logistically effort for which I salute Michael and Peter both. You have my thanks.

Many people brought their favourites and there were, I estimate, more than 200 games in attendance. To say that the crowds flocked to Thistle hall might be a lie, but at least 40 turned out during the day reaching a peak at about 2pm and tapering off to about 20 for the evening session.

The evening session was particularly relaxed and the odd ale was consumed while the quality of game play suffered from fatigue. Still everyone was playing and there was still the odd brain burner coming to the table and the epic four hour game of Cities and Knights. Congradz to those who stuck with that game.

The day also featured a trading session where people brought their swag of tradable games. A copy of Automobile was the headline act, but other top 20 games such as Battlestar, Puerto Rico, Caylus and Memoir were traded. All in all close to twenty games changed hands with everyone feeling like they got a bargain.

Endeavor was the most popular game of the day with five plays, one particular young man learning and playing three games of it. Carl and Jarrett should both be ostracised for not witnessing such an endeavour. It beat out Dominion and a bunch of fillers for most played game of the day. Meanwhile there were plenty of 2009 games for people to learn including Valdora, Automobile and Chicago Express to try out.

SeriouslyBoard once again turned up trumps to sponsor the day and provided copies of Citadels and Colouretto for us to give away and a nice Wellycon special for the gamers. Everyone got a shot at the prize with the Yatzee style competition and two gamers were particularly happy. Thanks to David and ange once again for helping out even if they were gaming further north.

So while others were stuck at home, we were let loose to game till our hearts contentment. We did so with due diligence and everyone came away with a satisfying day of gaming. Be sure not to miss our two day Wellycon 2010 later in the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Freer
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report Andrew,
I'm hopeful to post some photos, possibly this weekend, once I corner Mike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Limited Access - Back 9th Feb 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
Also see this list of Peter's which has quite a few comments:
Wellycon Geeklist

It was a great venue for playing games, and free parking wasn't too far away up the Brooklyn road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.