Hide
5 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Variants

Subject: Best Home-brews series #3 - TENDRIL - Re-Attacks Planets As One rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris O
msg tools
Pixeling ain't easy, but someone's gotta do it...
badge
LION OF JUDAH
mbmbmbmbmb
The 3rd power in the best of my home-brews series. It used to be more complicated, having a miniature Gorgon effect on a planet and also frustrating other player's offensive turns. I have removed all that for the sake of simplicity and have kept it right at its main point: you get to keep your losing ships near a planet you attacked in order to attack a bunch of planets at once later on when you have better cards. It is what I consider the best attempt at a multi-attack power, better imo than Gemini or Double-header or any of those standard "always attack 2 planets" powers. What do you think?:

[_] TENDRIL Re-Attacks Planets As One [_]

You have the power to Orbit. If you lose an encounter as an offensive player or offensive ally, you may use this power to put your ships around the attacked planet instead of the warp.

As offense, after launching ships but before alliances are formed, you may use this power to also encounter any player on one or more of their planets that you are orbiting. These extra encounters have no alliances. A successful turn is based on your main encounter.

If you point the gate at a planet, or are an offensive ally against one, or are a defensive ally with one that you are orbiting, add your ships together.

Technologically advanced with cybernetic enhancements, the agile Tendril have no problem running away to fight another day. True to the swarm mentality, these patient insectoids let their ships aimlessly orbit around target worlds until the moment to relaunch the assault is right. Biding their time, they are willing to wait millennia to conquer new worlds.

Offense Or Offensive Ally Only Optional[/COLOR]
[BGCOLOR=#009999]Start Turn Regroup Destiny
Launch Alliance Planning Reveal Resolution

Wild: If you draw your color in destiny, after placing your ships in the gate you also encounter any player on one or more of your planets that you have no colony on. These extra encounters have no alliances. Any encounter on an empty planet is resolved by simply placing up to 4 of your ships onto it.
Offense Only Launch

Super: At the start of any other player's turn, chose any one player's system. You may move as many of your orbiting ships as you want that reside in that system to orbit any planet(s) within that same system.
Not Offense Start Turn

What's unique about it?: Aside from a few flawed home-brews, there are no powers that allow the attacking of multiple planets and colonies simultaneously. Unlike Gemini, Double-header and the rest, you have to earn you multi-attacks by losing first. This prevents you from gaining 4 colonies off your first turn of 2 successful encounters off the bat. However with some planning and strategy, you can attack and gain 5 colonies all in one shot later on in the game with the right cards.

Why would I want to play it?: Some might shy away from a power that really only activates when you lose, but this power more than makes up for the loss with the opportunity to continually go at planets you lost on all in one shot with better cards, over and over again with no ship loss if you keep them ready by that planet for the next go. Seemingly similar to Zombie but not, the sacrifice necessary to continue the siege is the self-capture of your ships to the planet you want to continue the orbit siege against. At any time you can just let your ships go to the Warp by losing an offensive siege or defensive alliance if you have need of them elsewhere. This is the quintessential comeback power and is a power that only experienced players can master effectively. Ever wanted to smack multiple players in the face at once and go from 2-3 colonies to winning the game all in one shot? You CAN with Tendril!

Useful against: Most powers that rely on allies or are bad on defense come to mind. Observer is made useless, Leviathan, Mite, Barbarian, and many others will have a hard time keeping up with the non-stop aggression. Certain powers are made only slightly weaker, like Anti-Matter for example.

Countered by: Plant decimates this power hard-core if it has a colony in your system. Powers that do nasty things to your ships, such as Void, will eat your soul. Ghoul also counters well as he will gain cards from your losses, and subsequent attacks probably won't get easier with him having more cards. Tendril's advantage of being good against powers with little defensive power or reliance on alliances is also his own weakness when it comes to his forward momentum. On his home-world's everything is normal, but no one but Tick-Tock or Masochist wins by defending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
msg tools
badge
LION OF JUDAH
mbmbmbmbmb
No love for the Tendril?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Withem

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
Interesting Power. Very unique. But makes for complicated gameplay and in-game setup. The fact that ships don't goto the warp makes for very horrible late-game play. Also there is far too much sabotage in this game already. I really do not want to give you a chance to kill my point, and gain your own point, all on the whim of some other player that may or may not already have a grudge with me.

Its interesting, but i dislike laving the fate of my points in the hands of somebody else, and straight up having 2 simultaneous encounters makes it for very very complicated and tough game play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
msg tools
badge
LION OF JUDAH
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not following you completely on that.

What I gather out of it though is that you think you HAVE to place your ships around a planet, but in reality it is optional, it would end up screwing yourself over if you had a forced miniature warp next to all planets your failed at defeating.

Most players who ally on offense would probably place only 1 ship in the cone unless they thought it was a critical play where they needed 4. Even if they did 4, and lose twice, they'd still have 12 ships left, and from there would most likely let the rest hit the warp to be rescued, allowed themselves a possible 3 colony gain in one shot later on.

I agree it is a bit complicated, but maybe because I haven't really tried to "pithy" it up. I will edit it now as I see ways I can save some good amount of word space, maybe it will be more understandable...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
msg tools
badge
LION OF JUDAH
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack if you are out there is there any chance of getting this and the other 2 of this series put into the Warp as an edit over their pre-existing version? These are so much more concise.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.