Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Friday, rather than playing a number of smaller games, I decided to spend the afternoon with one longer game - Descent. Mark and Pat were the adventurers and I was the Overlord. Mark controlled Corbin, one of the expansion characters, and Pat had Nanok of the Blade. Which blade? Well, it would turn up pretty quickly.

Pat has played Descent before, but this was Mark's first game. It's not a particularly hard game and soon he was into the hang of attacking monsters and looting treasure. We were playing with cards from both Well of Darkness and Altar of Despair, neither of which I've played all that much with, and in the first treasure chest, Pat discovered the Shadowblade: a cursed weapon. What did Weapon-Cursed mean? I looked it up - he gained a curse token, and so he was now worth 5 Conquest points if I killed him... something that seemed a distinct likelihood in the early part of the game... and given they only had 5 Conquest tokens, I'd win very, very quickly indeed!

Unfortunately they were just a little too fast for me and, through a second treasure chest and activating some glyphs, were able to gain enough tokens so that they survived after I eliminated Narthak for the first time. Mark's Corbin was also taking things hard: every so often he'd be untouchable, and then the beastmen leader would strike him and he'd go down hard!

More fun came when I put my first Kobolds on the table. Kobolds are weak, but you get a lot of them - and the leaders also reduce the cost of traps. As I was already a trapmaster, this meant I was getting some substantial reductions. To celebrate, I turned Pat's Nanok into a monkey when he opened one of the silver chests. A lone skeleton ran up to his monkey and put it down. Once again, the party was in real danger of losing the adventure!

I'd played the Evil Genius card quite early, so I was running through my deck at a rapid rate. After my first set of kobolds were slain, I played two more Kobold cards in successive turns, and soon I had a great double-line of Kobolds marching through the tunnels and singing - loudly and tunelessly. Pat and Mark hurried towards the final room - they had little time left before Narthak the Giant would win the scenario!

It was time for the final showdown and, at first, Pat took on Narthak on his own, with Mark hiding back in town and (later) being surrounded by kobolds. Pat soon found the problem in his plan: Narthak had Reach, Knockback and Stun. Even if Pat didn't take much damage, after Narthak hit him, he wasn't able to retaliate as he found himself too far away! So, Mark had to step up and do some attacking. If I killed either of the characters, I'd win. The kobolds prevented Mark from attacking Narthak one time - but with Mark's Brawler ability, a couple of strikes saw every kobold around him perishing - he was free to attack Narthak!

And so the two faced off, and at long last, Narthak fell. It'd had been four or five turns of this last struggle: an astonishingly long time in my experience, normally the Big Bad dies the moment the door gets opened, but a 3-player game is a much harder experience for the heroes.

So, the heroes completed their quest, with only three conquest tokens (before the four for defeating the giant). I was only a few cards away from exhausting my deck for the third time as well... this had been a very close game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well at least you got the name right in the subject ^_^

Thanks for posting, fun read. Never had a close game of Quest 1 yet, still hoping!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gawain wrote:
Well at least you got the name right in the subject ^_^

Thanks for posting, fun read. Never had a close game of Quest 1 yet, still hoping!

Sorry about that - got sidetracked by Pat's "Nanok" with the O.

Pat spent a lot of the game shouting "Nanok will smash the kobold!" and suchlike... he tends to get into character a bit much.

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, I love that :D Wish my group would be more into the story/theme/mood/whatever too. I don't even bother with the description anymore since they didn't listen anyway. It will bite them in the bum soon enough (like it did already once with the "heartless brothers", muhaha).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds fun. I want to play with you guys. My first (and only so far) experience with Descent was that quest learning the game with a friend of mine. I was the Overlord as well as the one who had read the rulebook. I spent most of the game saying "No its not D and D so thats why the rules are different." Not a good experience especially when he finally understood that as the OL I wanted him to lose, not have a good challenging romp through the dungeon like D and D. Hoping I can get some guys who like to scream at Kobolds. Sounds great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.