Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawrence Lopez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Thunderstone several times as a two-player game and enjoy it. I wonder, however, if 30 monster cards (standard setup) is too many? The game seems to clutter up and slow down towards the end... I don't know if that's something I'm doing wrong or if anybody else has felt this way. Any thoughts and/or suggestions? Should the dungeon deck be reduced, maybe something like 25 cards with the Thunderstone in the bottom five?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my impression after our first game or two, but after a few more plays I found it goes by really fast even with all 30 monster cards. I don't usually see slowdown - generally once we've got some upgraded heroes and weapons, we tear through the monsters really fast!

That said, I don't think it would hurt to trim down the monster deck for fewer players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Reichenau
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play during our lunch break, so it's sometimes important to keep the game time as low as possible. During our first 2 player game I thought it seemed to drag and we were getting low on time, so we agreed to drop a few monsters off the top of the deck to shorten the game. For the second 2 player game we decided before we started to do exactly as you suggested, 25 monsters with the stone in the last 5. I really didn't see much difference, and I felt like the game still ran a little longer than I'd like. Next time we might try 20 monsters with the stone in the last five, but as we get more used to the cards and start playing faster, I'm sure we'll add them back in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Carter
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, first off let me start this comment stating that myself and the people I play games aren't of the genius type that can play a regular game of Thunderstone in under an hour. With that in mind we try to make the game playable in an hour so we do reduce the amount of monster cards. Typically I remove 6 cards for every person less than maximum of 5. This seems to work well for our group but game still plays to long at lunch for 4. Hopefully, we will get more plays in so that our skill at the game increases, play time decreases, and we can add more of the monster cards back in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bowker
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found 20 monsters to work well for only 2 players, and even 3 if it's someone's first time. I've done both 2 monster types and 3 types removing 10 random, in both cases I shuffle the thunderstone into the bottom 7 cards to maintain a 1/3 setup.

On a tangent, I've been debating shuffling the entire monster pile together and dealing out the 20-30 monsters needed instead of having only the 2-3 types. Some monster types like Humanoid are well, boring to fight but removing the type from a random selection seems too much like simply picking the types you "want" to fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.