Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Stone Age» Forums » Sessions

Subject: How we solved being tied after the tiebreaker -- an Epic game of Stone Age rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's no secret how much I love Stone Age -- yes, I am the madman portrayed in this article -- but while I was setting up all the little bits tonight, it just felt like "the night". You know the feeling -- the play that you can define a game with. The play that you call your friends after, regardless of the hour, adjectives of grandeur spewing. The one where you're sleeping and when you get up to pee at 3 am, you think about it and smile. You get the point.

So I'm setting up a 2-player game of Stone Age with my lovely wife, who has recently become perhaps as addicted to it as I am. Kids are asleep, coast is clear. She had just beaten me (soundly) at Hey! That's my Fish -- so revenge was on the mind. Yes, it pissed me off a bit that she was able to feed her penguin family with leftovers and I came home with below quota. Mumble didn't even look at me.

Right off the bat, I place down on the 2x Shaman card and I'm off. Wife places right where I thought she would. Her turn again, and she places where she should again. "Damnit," I think. "She's got this figured out! I hate it when she figures out my games!" Turns continue at a rapid pace, we're making tools, we're harvesting, we're taking turns in the love shack (and not taking time to clean up). Halfway through, and not only has she been right on the ball, so have I. This is looking like a close one. A turn later, I realize that she has three more cavemen working than I do. "Three?" I say. "What kind of voodoo magic are you using over there?" She shoots me that face of innocence that probably caused me to not notice her workers in the first place. I had to marry cute.

Then I realize that she's been working the huts, too. Near the end of the game, we both have six huts, we both have nine workers, we both have four or five tools. It's the last round, now, and we soak up the cards and the last two huts. Her scoring marker is at least 40 ahead of me. "This is going to be two in a row," I realize. Stone Age has officially jumped the shark. "I'll have to hide this with the stack of other games she beats me at." Zooloretto, you have a new friend.

And then it's time for the scoring. Off we go in what has to be one of the most tense moments in board gaming! Scoring in Stone Age, especially in 2-player mode, shouldn't be this agonizing for me, but it is. I *think* I know what you have, babe. But honestly, I thought I lost it by 20 or 30 points. And then we laid down multipliers, and I realize that it's not that far off after all. She moves her marker to 273, I'm at 252. "You're done?" I ask, hopefully. A nod. A worried look. Joy! What do I have here, a 3x hut multiplier? DIDN'T I HAVE MORE THAN THAT? Moving the cube, and ... no!

It's 273 to 273.

"What's the tiebreaker?" we ask in a flurry. I bust through the box, the other player mats sliding to the floor. Here it is. "Add up the total of production, workers, and tools to find the winner." Adding, adding. 10 production each. 10 workers for me, 9 for her. Giddy! And then the tools -- 5 for her, 4 for me. Yeah, we're tied again. "Oooooh! I wonder what Michael Tummelhofer came up with for a tied tiebreaker!!!" We squeal with glee at the thought. This was already epic. Was it going to come down to the number of resources left?* Food uneaten? Girly giggles?

Nothing.

"There's no tiebreaker to the tiebreaker!" I sigh. "How the heck do we settle this?"

She looks back, a gleam in her eye. "Let's settle this in the love shack."

And that's how my lady won the tiebreaker to the tiebreaker.

I love Stone Age!

*We each had five -- I now know those are worth one point each, so it was actually 278 to 278.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankly, I think both of you won this game...that said, both of you should have received one point for each remaining resource at the end of the game (wood, brick, stone, and gold) before you even look at the tiebreakers. I won one game that way that I thought I'd lost...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garry_rice wrote:
Frankly, I think both of you won this game...that said, both of you should have received one point for each remaining resource at the end of the game (wood, brick, stone, and gold) before you even look at the tiebreakers. I won one game that way that I thought I'd lost...

Hey, you're right! Fortunately the story holds up -- the pieces are still laid out this morning and we both had five each. Thanks for the added info!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S.
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boy, the missus has your number these days. After this write up, I don't know if I'll be able to look at the frog the same again.blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oogie Da Bruce
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
@OogieDaBruce
badge
You can't repel flavor of that magnitude!
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess that beats having to club her over the head.

Truly Epic Tie.

Favorite Line:

SlikkRikk wrote:
"I'll have to hide this with the stack of other games she beats me at." Zooloretto, you have a new friend.

Although I'm curious who would win the girly giggle tiebreaker?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
This site needs a forum where we can put the faux offended so we can ignore them.
mbmbmbmbmb
SlikkRikk wrote:

Who came first then? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sinclair
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Classic! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
"There's no tiebreaker to the tiebreaker!" I sigh. "How the heck do we settle this?"

And that's how my lady won the tiebreaker to the tiebreaker.

I believe you should consult with Rio Grande Games/HIG to see if this is the official ruling or not. I have not seen it used in the tournaments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.