• [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted "I'm a man and my S/O is not a gamer".

Although my wife will play games with me, and sometimes even enjoy the game, sh's not really a gamer. Initiative to ask to play a game will almost always come from my side, and I'll almost always have to beg convince her to play a game...

But on the positive: she plays games with me, so I guess it could be worse...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darren williams
Wales
maesteg
bridgend
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am the geek, I do the buying, trading and reading of the rules and then she wins more often than me! Even happily plays Runebound now though. Arkham next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Lundberg
Sweden
Skoghall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
teufen wrote:
I voted "I'm a man and my S/O is not a gamer".

Although my wife will play games with me, and sometimes even enjoy the game, sh's not really a gamer. Initiative to ask to play a game will almost always come from my side, and I'll almost always have to beg convince her to play a game...

But on the positive: she plays games with me, so I guess it could be worse...

This echoes my situation exactly, except the "wife"-part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is a "S/O"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harlekin wrote:
What is a "S/O"?

Significant Other, a more general word for husband, wife, fiancé, lover,...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, didn't know that acronym.

My soon to be exwife is more a gamer than I am.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bos
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy, read rules etc. But my girlfriend is very willing to try any game, and likes most of them. We play Stronghold, Ubongo, Arkham Horror, Carcassonne, Reef Encounter.

It normally takes her a couple of plays to get the hang of games, but she enjoys a lot of them (but she would never for example go on the internet to look up information about a game).

I love her
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dicorato
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Should have this option on there:

I am a and my S/O is a gamer to a degree but will never admit it to anyone if asked.

No, I'm joking. My fiance probably wouldn't consider herself a gamer, but she enjoys her fair share of games that we play. But if it wasn't for me, she would never have heard of any of these games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CassSoren
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm a woman and my S/O is just as much of a gamer as I am

That describes us nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Ede
Australia
Blacktown
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe another option is required here :

I am a man, my S/O is not a ganer, & she thinks I'm a geek for being a gamer.

The "my S/O is not a gamer" doesn't quite catch the contempt & amusement my S/O can't help but express.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was torn. I chose "I'm a man and my S/O is just as much of a gamer as I am.", but there is just a *slight* degree of seperation. She is up for gaming at any time. We even went and got a hotel room this last weekend, so we could game until the wee hours of Saturday morning, and then go right back to gaming after 5 hours of sleep.
I still can't get her to sign up on the geek, or show interest in researching, or choosing games. That is my role in our geek relationship, and even just showing her videos of games disinterests her. But in all other aspects, she is a board gamer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
My SO is an anti-gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Harlekin wrote:
My soon to be exwife is more a gamer than I am.

Can you introduce us? I can reciprocate: my ex-wife is not a gamer at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Is your S/O a gamer?

Nudge, nudge. Wink Wink. Say no more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I met because of gaming, and we continue to envolve gaming in our relationship by throwing games parties and such on a regular basis and attending board game marathons. When we travel we usually hit up the local game shops and we don't mind dragging the Magic cards out to eat with us.

She's not on the Geek here though, figures it's a little redundant to have us both on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ke7in11
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meat wrote:
Quote:
Is your S/O a gamer?

Nudge, nudge. Wink Wink. Say no more.

Up for a little push your luck, as it were? Say no more. Say no more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife got into gaming because of me, and probably wouldn't game much if left by herself. But lately she has insisted on a round of Race for the Galaxy after lunch, so I'm happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Carpenter
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a woman and my husband is not a gamer. That puts me in the elite 1.1%. I actually didn't think it would even be that high. I was at a big game convention this weekend, and it seemed as if almost all the women except me were there with their S/O.soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Carpenter
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured this referred to RPGing and CCGing as well as BoardGaming, so I ticked the 'I'm a man and my S/O is a gamer but to a lesser degree'.

My S/O is
Sarah Parkin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and she is probably as much of a BGer as I am, but I also do RPGing (been playing D&D on and off of about 25 years) and I play Magic.

I was vote #99 and I was interested to note that only 12 ladies had responded. I thought that gaming was mostly a bloke thing but I was hoping to be proved wrong how big a difference between the sexes there was!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
She is not a gamer. But then again, I don't think half the people on BGG are gamers, so who knows.

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
She is not a gamer. But then again, I don't think half the people on BGG are gamers, so who knows.

Compared to you, from what I've gathered, hardly anybody else is much of a gamer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Patrick Carroll wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

Compared to you, from what I've gathered, hardly anybody else is much of a gamer.

That is true.

Luckily, I have found a large contingency of true gamers around here. The rest of you "dabblers", well, I'm sure your next hobby will be fun too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
In the poll, I said she's less a gamer than I am--but now I'm wondering about that.

I'm the one who has been enthused about games all his life; has bought, sold, and traded lots of games; is addicted to BGG and has subscribed to gaming magazines; and reads books on games. She's not much interested in any of that.

But OTOH, she always enjoys games when we play them. She gets right into the spirit if we have another couple over for a game, or if we're playing with relatives or whatever. She even has a favorite game or two or three that she likes playing just with me. And when she does play, she's much sharper and more thoughtful about it than I am--more competitive.

The reason it's hard to say exactly is that the picture is blurred by other factors:

1. We both end up playing computer games a lot--and we do that separately most every day, which is much more often than we play board or card games (we get around to that only several times a year).

2. She's more enthused about multiplayer games, but she doesn't want to take the initiative and invite people. She wants me to do the inviting. But I'm usually happier with two-player (or even solitaire) games, and I'm introverted myself and disinclined to do any inviting. So, I'll often ask her to play a two-player game, and she'll just shrug--and maybe we'll play, maybe not. She'd love it if I brought friends home from work and started a game she could join in--but I don't like games that involve trading or negotiating; and it's annoying to me to have to arrange such events. (We used to do it pretty often, but a couple different sets of gaming friends moved away, so we're on our own now.)

I should probably find a gaming club in the area and ask if she wants to join it. Not my favorite approach, but she'd probably love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted "I'm a man and my S/O is kind of a gamer but to a lesser degree" but I should quantify that: it only applies to boardgames.

She is much bigger RPGer than I am. We both play video games about equal.

So, maybe I should have selected "I'm a man and my S/O is just as much of a gamer as I am" since everything evens out. But since this is primarily a boardgame site, I stand by my selection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.