Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pat is many things, but one thing that he occasionally demonstrates is this: inattentive.

How anyone could not understand when events take place two turns after being revealed, and there are four turns in a year, I don't know, but Pat managed it. Thus, in the first year, when all our Imps disappeared if they weren't worked that turn... Pat put all of his Imps to work in the turn it was revealed and none of them in the next turn when it took effect. It takes a special sort of mind to make that sort of mistake.

Pat also only attracted ghosts to his dungeon - he took a Imp breeding room, but it only managed to function once before the adventurers came. That it managed to function at all was impressive - he was very lucky and had the food to hire more imps before everything got worse. Of course, having no imps meant little gold - and unpaid taxes as a result.

Rich, Randy and I played more solid games. Randy hired a slime, I hired a troll, Rich hired a Witch and a Troll. Randy and I also bought a lot of traps - and the Poisoned Meal I bought would prove very useful indeed. Unfortunately, Randy had a thief attacking his dungeon - that'll teach him to be least evil regardless of what's coming!

My main glory was getting both the food and gold production rooms - when added to my troll and imps, I was never in trouble for resources.

So, the year ended and we got attacked. The poisoned meal put paid to the first adventurer, and the troll killed the second, leaving just the Cleric to conquer my first tunnel - and then he died before he could conquer another tunnel. I was very happy with that result!

Randy lost two tunnels (although no rooms) - his traps could take out the adventurers, but not as fast as my troll. Rich also put paid to all three of his adventurers for the loss of two tunnels: a pretty impressive achievement and he was looking in great shape for the next year.

And then there was Pat: Pat was able to capture two of the adventurers, but he was the most evil and had the hardest adventurers - and the weakest defenses for some reason! Three tunnels and a room were destroyed - the first year was very bad for Pat, but worse was to come!

Composite picture: Merric green, Randy yellow, Rich red, Pat blue

The trouble was that Pat also hadn't made the link between needing unconquered tunnels and mining gold. So, he took the mine gold action... and could only get one gold. Then he took the mine gold action again... and again didn't dig tunnels first! In addition, he was choosing to take a monster as his first action - which needed gold he didn't have. Pat wasn't having a good game at all; I've no idea where his mind was, but it wasn't on the game.

Randy was running into Gold issues of his own. He'd been buying traps, but when it came time to getting a Golem, he really couldn't afford it. Instead, he took a Dragon and a Demon (who ate a slime) and had a very, very impressive array of monsters to take out the adventurers. A couple of victory point rooms, and he was set, although he really needed some gold to pay for his traps.

Rich became more evil (second most evil for most of the game), and didn't hire any monsters, instead buying one trap and expanding his dungeon impressively. Rich would end up being the uncontested Tunnellord.

For myself, I hired a Vampire and a Golem, and dreaded the Witch Hunt that added three to my evil - luckily for me, Pat only had three ghosts and so had to become more evil (and attracted the Paladin). A high-level Wizard came my way as a result, but I was able to buy my favourite room in the game, the anti-magic room, and negate his potential. Just as well: the first spell was an Aura of Fear that really hurt the battle plans of my fellow apprentice dungeon lords, but not me.

The adventurers came, and they couldn't get out of the anti-magic room. A Cursed Ring stopped them from conquering the first turn, and the Golem and Vampire took out the hp 7 Fighter. The next turn, the golem killed the thief and the Troll almost killed the wizard... who died in the conquering step from fatigue. Hooray! No rooms conquered, and victory was surely mine.

Randy would have done better without the Aura of Fear mucking up his turn one battleplan, but he only lost one tunnel to the adventurers before all three fell to his terrifyingly good monsters. Rich just didn't have the firepower; his very promising start came to naught because he needed better monsters. Two rooms and a tunnel lost, and you could hear the victory points trickling away.

Pat was able to somehow get rid of one adventurer (a thief, three ghosts jumping on it at once!), but the paladin and his cohorts destroyed the rest of his dungeon and then left Pat sitting in the middle of a lot of envelopes demanding gold for taxes he couldn't pay.

Composite picture after second year: Merric green, Randy yellow, Rich red, Pat blue

Final scoring went as follows:

Merric 34 (3 monsters, 6 rooms, 12 adventurers, -2 conquered, 15 titles)
- Lord of Dark Deeds (shared)
- Lord of Halls (shared)
- Lord of Monsters (shared)
- Lord of Imps
- Lord of Riches
- Battlelord

Randy 24 (3 monsters, 6 rooms, 12 adventures, -6 conquered, 5 point rooms, 4 titles)
- Lord of Halls (shared)
- Lord of Monsters (shared)

Rich 9 (2 monsters, 2 rooms, 10 adventurers, -10 conquered, 5 titles)
- Lord of Halls (shared)
- Tunnellord

Pat -27 (6 adventurers, -14 conquered, -21 unpaid tax, 2 titles)
- Lord of Dark Deeds (shared)

So, if you want an example of how to play Dungeon Lords... don't follow Pat's!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The adventurers came, and they couldn't get out of the anti-magic room. A Cursed Ring stopped them from conquering the first turn, and the Golem and Vampire took out the hp 7 Fighter. The next turn, the golem killed the thief and the Troll almost killed the wizard... who died in the conquering step from fatigue. Hooray! No rooms conquered, and victory was surely mine.

Were you no longer in the anti-magic room? Otherwise, doesn't the wizard conquer the room and then die from fatigue? I may not be recalling the rules correctly, but I thought fatigue was subtracted after conquering.

I really enjoy this game and hope to get more plays in when our game group meets again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garry_rice wrote:
Quote:

Were you no longer in the anti-magic room? Otherwise, doesn't the wizard conquer the room and then die from fatigue? I may not be recalling the rules correctly, but I thought fatigue was subtracted after conquering.

I really enjoy this game and hope to get more plays in when our game group meets again...

No, fatigue first then conquering. (See page 20, top of the first column there). "If there is still at least one adventurer left after assigning fatigue damage, the tile is conquered."

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My mistake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlaada Chvatil
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Another great report Merric :)
When reading it, I just had to search your older reports for this image (this is the same Pat, isn't it :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why did Green's Imps abscond with a food?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pat should get a rebuttal post. Perhaps he was in league with the adventurers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vlaada wrote:
Another great report Merric
When reading it, I just had to search your older reports for this image (this is the same Pat, isn't it

That's the one, Vlaada!

Cheers,
Merric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Why did Green's Imps abscond with a food?

The troll brought it as a present. Trolls really like imps.

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.