Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can a colorless/generic cost reduction pay for colored mana costs?

The example I have in mind is that ofTombstalker: "It costs {1} less to cast for each card exiled this way.". Can the cost of Tombstalker go down to zero, even though it costs {6}{B}{B}? i.e., can the colorless/generic cost reduction be applied to offset the {B} cost?

A reference to a paragraph in the Comprehensive Rules would be appreciated too, as usual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
mbmbmbmb
I can't give a Comp. Rules reference, but I'm 100% sure the answer is no. In the case of Tombstalker, it can be reduced down to BB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JockiB wrote:
I can't give a Comp. Rules reference, but I'm 100% sure the answer is no. In the case of Tombstalker, it can be reduced down to BB.
Yeah, you're 100% right. I just found the answer in the Rules Q&A, by using my custom Google search:
Quote:
Q: Can delve reduce the amount of colored mana I pay?
A: No. Delve can only reduce the colorless portion of a card's cost.
I should have checked earlier… blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
cost reduction only reduces colorless costs unless it says otherwise specifically.

edit: looks like i was too slow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Short
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JockiB wrote:
Actually, the relevant portion of the Comp Rules is:
CR 101.3 wrote:
Any part of an instruction that's impossible to perform is ignored. (In many cases the card will specify consequences for this; if it doesn't, there's no effect.)
If you delved 8 cards, then the delve ability would tell you to reduce the spell's cost by 8 colorless mana. The first six of this, you can do, which brings the cost to {B}{B}. After that, there is no more colorless mana to reduce, so you just ignore the rest of the reduction effect.

The rules of Magic are permissive. The game doesn't need a rule to state what can't happen. If there is no rule that says you can do a given thing, then it can't happen. There is no rule that says to convert leftover cost reductions, so they simply are ignored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Similarly, colored mana reduction cannot reduce colorless costs. See the reminder text on Edgewalker, the only card that provides colored cost reduction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Clautice
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago wrote:
Similarly, colored mana reduction cannot reduce colorless costs. See the reminder text on Edgewalker, the only card that provides colored cost reduction.

Cards with Convoke can have their costs reduced by colored mana by tapping creatures of the appropriate color(s). Edgewalker may be the only card that can do it for other cards, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.