6 Posts

The Republic of Rome» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dictator in Solitaire/2 Player game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Foley
Portugal
flag msg tools
RoR was a favourite game of my gaming group some 20 odd years back, so I jumped at the chance to buy the re-issue when I saw it. However the Senate chamber being a bit empty I am having to play the Solitaire version.

I'm managing ok, but I am confused by rule 4.05.34 Crisis Offices.

It seems to indicate that if the conditions of crisis are in affect (seems a continual condition in early game) then the Senator with the highest military (regardless of membership in ruling coalition)automatically becomes dictator.

Surely this is not automatic and there is some sort of rule determining if a dictator is to be appointed or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
If the Crisis condition is met, there will be a Dictator. So that part is automatic. But of those available, you MAY select from among those with the highest Military rating and those that then have a "D/S" immunity. So in some cases, that may be only one Senator, and thus automatic. And in some case it might be a choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Temple
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read this as definitely not an automatic thing:

1.09.31 (appointment) is only IF both consuls agree, or if there's only 1 consul, and it says they MAY appoint a dictator.

1.09.32 (election) says the senate may elect IF the Presiding Magistrate calls for such elections (or proposed via Tribune), and they may be vetoed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Basiliv wrote:
I read this as definitely not an automatic thing:

1.09.31 (appointment) is only IF both consuls agree, or if there's only 1 consul, and it says they MAY appoint a dictator.

1.09.32 (election) says the senate may elect IF the Presiding Magistrate calls for such elections (or proposed via Tribune), and they may be vetoed.

We are talking about the solitaire rules in Section IV of the VG rulebook.

What you reference is correct in the 3+ player game but is not applicable to this discussion as the process is changed for only 1 or 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Foley
Portugal
flag msg tools

Thanks for your clarifications.

I see that if the players(s) are the only members of the ruling faction they may make their own military plans...would that extend to deciding to appoint dictator or not and if they decide, who to appoint?

Also a general rule clarification

If a dictator and master of horse fight a war to a stalemate and survive, what happens next is:
Dictator becomes proconsul and remains prosecuting the war
Master of horse returns to Rome
Ex-Dictator/proconsul is not eligible to be Dictator as he is not in Rome
Another Senator is appointed Dictator

The rules mention that a dictator can be reappointed, but I imagine that is only if he was victorious or was defeated and survived or did not go to war. A recall doesn't seem possible before deciding dictator and anyhow, recalls don't seem possible in the solitaire game (unless it is at the prerogative of the dominant player in the ruling faction -perhaps chosen as a spoil?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, a proconsul (including a failed dictator) is not eligable for any other post, until recalled.

In the solitaire game, the ruling coalition should always have the ability to recall a proconsul - go with the spirit of the rules. In addition, he automatically gets recalled if he has no supporting fleets or no legions, same as the base rules.

Appointing a dictator always follows the rules, whether you are the ruling coalition or not.

Quote:
In a Crisis only the Senator with the highest military rating is eligible for Dictator (regardless of whether he is part of the Ruling Coalition).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.