Subject: Negotiations and Fortresses. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thierry Aradan
France
ASSAS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As it is not specifically forbidden in the rules, I guess that fortresses may change hands as a result of negotiations. Is that allowed ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schwarz
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thierry Aradan wrote:
As it is not specifically forbidden in the rules, I guess that fortresses may change hands as a result of negotiations. Is that allowed ?

The negotiation rules say that you cannot change a core mechanic of the game. The example given is that the players cannot agree to change the protection range of a general. I would consider the conquest mechanism a core rule, and therefore, negotiations do not permit exchanges of fortresses.

More broadly, I think the spirit of the negotiation rules allow players to binding themselves to particular choices, but only among the possible actions they could have done without the negotiation rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard sivel
Germany
berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Quote:

No, this is not allowed. As Tim has pointed out: Conquest and Control of fortresses is an inherent mechanic of the game. It cannot be altered by negotiations. -- All you can do is make a contract that the owner moves far away, so that the fortress is not protected, and so that you can conquer it easily. But you still have to move through the fortress.

(Note that it the rules do not use the term "core mechanic" but "inherent mechanic". So you cannot change any rule or any inherent mechanic by negotiations.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Aradan
France
ASSAS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard and Tim,

Thank you for your quick answer.
Quote:
All you can do is make a contract that the owner moves far away, so that the fortress is not protected, and so that you can conquer it easily. But you still have to move through the fortress.

Yes, of course, but this doesn't apply to allied powers. There's no way for Prussia to offer (transfer) a Prussian controlled fortress to the French.

Example: the Saxon army has captured Eger which now bears a Prussian flag. Saxony becomes neutral and Prussian troops are campaigning far away from Eger. France cannot protect the fortress which is now immune to any French action until it is recaptured by the Austrians.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard sivel
Germany
berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Quote:
Example: the Saxon army has captured Eger which now bears a Prussian flag. Saxony becomes neutral and Prussian troops are campaigning far away from Eger. France cannot protect the fortress which is now immune to any French action until it is recaptured by the Austrians.

Correct. There is no chance to convert a Prussian controlled Eger directly to a French controlled Eger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.