Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: gameboard [+] [View All]
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good map design must be a difficult job. Not only does one have to make it functional but one must make it aesthetically pleasing. For me, a map (and map art) can make or break a game. If a game is good one may be able to overlook a lackluster map, indeed.

BUT, if the map is amazing it can really engender a great feeling and game experience. Some can make you feel like you are really there....

Red Barricades: ASL Historical Module 1

For me, this is the king of all atmospheric maps. I remember seeing it and saying "Where do I get it?". I was just starting ASL but this map and the module tipped me over the top. (Interestingly, there aren't a lot of great shots of the maps on BGG).

Here's a shot from Valor of the Guards: ASL Historical Module Number 7, a more recent ASL module depicting additional fighting in Stalingrad.

Just looks dirty, everything is broken... factories look like shadows of themselves, etc. And once all of the smoke and fire begins it looks even better!

Another map that I really like is Bastogne: Screaming Eagles under Siege. I've always struggled with The Gamer's aesthetics. I'm not an avid fan of them. But, Bastogne looks snowy, cold and windy. Makes me feel like I'm there- columns lined up on frozen roads and foxholes in the woods. Great map.

What are some of the maps out there that have made you feel like you are there? Or maps that look like the actual battlefield in a way?

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NORAD isn't a great game. but he map is sure evocative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Whyman
United States
Danvers
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
from Game Crafter
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Way back in my Napoleonic days I got hooked on the Wargamer/S&T. They certainly published their fair share of ugly maps, but this one from the "Napoleon & the Archduke Charles" series just hit the spot for me.

Here are two sections of it. It seemed to evoke all the struggles that the Chief of Staff faced in getting each Corps to the right place at the right time no matter what terrain lay in their path.

The movement rules were a big part of that feeling too to be sure, but a great map always helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
nwhyman wrote:
The movement rules were a big part of that feeling too to be sure, but a great map always helps.

This is a good point. Rules and their interaction with the map is a huge consideration in how the atmosphere plays out, in my opinion.

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gallo
United States
Miami
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes size does matter:

There is nothing like seeing a game of The Longest Day midway through to make you feel like a theater commander. The wealth of functional information on this map was absolutely incredible for its day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Farrand
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I always thought that Turning Point: Stalingrad was a beauty:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think both A Victory Lost: Crisis in Ukraine 1942-1943 and A Victory Denied: Crisis at Smolensk, July-September, 1941 have fantastic maps. They may not look like much at a distance, but there is a hell of a lot of detail there for this scale of map. The frozen lake at the bottom of the AVL map is superb. I wouldn't expect anything less from Nicolás though

Nicolás also did the map for PQ-17: Arctic Naval Operations 1941-1943 which a lot of people have said they don't like, but I really like the look of the map. The ice flows almost have a schematic look to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always liked Napoleon's Triumph:

While the map itself is understated, it does seem to be to almost be one of those maps you'd see illustrating a battle in a history book. The gaming markings on the map, while perfectly readable, are subtle and don't detract from this. It complements the pieces perfectly, which also look like the illustrations out of a history book!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Most of Rick Barber's maps do a fine job of capturing period feel and possess a little more of an illustrated appearance than most.

My favourites;

Napoleon At Leipzig

Landships

L'armee du Nord
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always very much liked the map for Raid on St. Nazaire: Raid on St. Nazaire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Storm over Arnhem

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
Sniper! (first edition)

The rosy tint of blood matches perfectly the symmetry of polygonal buildings, with the parallelograms being a perfect allegory for symmetrical warfare in the 20th Century upon which the game is based.

Tactics II

As the first mass-produced commercial wargame to hit the market, Tactics and Tactics II are appropriately "blank slates" with stark white backgrounds upon which to do battle.

PBI

Our recollections of World War II are in black and white, and, appropriately, so is this map. How can you not be instantly drawn back to the days of the Second World War by this brilliantly rendered reconstruction of the battlefield by the clever use of stark black and white tones?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.