Subject: Master of the Hunt vs. promos, part 6 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph LaMothe
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Once again we continued our Sea of Blood campaign. As of last session, the heroes had a very frustrating experience with the Burning Sea island level.
The heroes are trying to finish the rumor "the Hard Way" to get some gold for training.

I am playing the Master of the Hunt with the Leviathan plot, one binding broken. I have the Siren and Darkwind LTs, and the hellhound Aura upgrade.
My players have:
Tahlia with Defender and Weapon Mastery
Okaluk and Rakash with Spry, +2 black melee dice
Truthseeker Kel with Alex the Wise and Prodigy
Tobin Farslayer with Lucky and Marksman

The second level of this dungeon is Up and Down from RtL. Basically this is some sort of underground tower with a Razorwing leader who can easily move between levels. The tower turns out to be non euclidean because it loops back upon itself. The heroes made an attempt to block the leader onto one level that didn't work very well, but overall they had a fairly easy time here. I got a couple of kills, Kel and Tobin. The players have learned to ignore my spawns when they can, which is good for them. Although this time they left behind the chest because I stuck a master skeleton on it and they were in a rush to move on.

Spawns are so easy on levels with stairs. I started with over 50 threat so I was able to choke this area up with tons of spawns. The heroes still haven't registered how tough to kill silver apes are- they keep expecting to be able to 1-shot them, then they find out about the nearly 20 wounds. Mwahahaha. Lots of missing on this level, on both sides. Tobin wasted a power potion with a miss. My players are allergic to Aim, it seems.

Then they got to the rumor level. This is a long corridor full of traps. Dart fields, scything blades, and poorly placed kobolds. We had to look up the rules for dart fields, it had been so long since we'd seen them. The static traps in this level were the threat, not the monsters. The long corridor with only one bend makes it hard to spawn, if the players park someone at the bend. The kobolds basically die if they move, because they have no immunity to the traps. So they sat there and got picked off by the ranged characters. this might have been different if I had silver humanoids - they might have survived running up to the heroes.

They finally opened the last room, which has a glyph, a chest, and the diamonds that they need to get out to get the rumor reward. This room is pretty nasty, lots of instant death. Basically, the leader is a master golem with +99(!) wounds per campaign level that if it moves over a hero kills them. Also, the glyph, chest, and treasure piles in the room are destroyed when the diamonds are taken. Also, if the hero carrying the diamonds is killed, flee the dungeon/no reward. Yikes. The party chose Okaluk to be their runner (suprise). The heroes get a one turn head start before the leader wakes up, as well. So the players concocted a good plan, had Okaluk grab the diamonds while everyone else covered for spawns, and she took off down the trap corridor running for 14 spaces a turn. Yeah, my 3 move golem was certainly going to keep up with that. Okaluk emerges with 5 wounds left and 5 daze tokens. Victory! Now to see how much they are worth, the group rolls 5 power dice at 1000 gold per enhancement...3 surges and two blanks.

No reward.

There was some emotional outburst at this point.

Having resolved to hunt down and kill the guy who sent them on this rumor quest, and also to avoid the Burning Sea as the hellhole it was, they return to town to buy some power dice. Everyone buys two black dice for their primary attack, except Okaluk, who buys two silver melee dice. they do have 3 treasure map pieces, so they decide to head overland and go to a dungeon near an X so as to get a treasure.

During the overland movement and training, Shellport stubbornly refuses to fall. The Siren moves over to the Bright Sea and manages to break another binding token. I play second binding broken, which gives me the choice of two location cards for sea encounters. My plot seems to be proceeding apace. I hold off on buying upgrades at this point, I want to save my conquest for a mass monster upgrade at silver, which should be soon.

We end the evening with the heroes at Plains of Red Ice, Heroes 71, Overlord 110 conquest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryric wrote:
The long corridor with only one bend makes it hard to spawn, if the players park someone at the bend.

Sounds like a really good level to save those Gust of Wind cards for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aubert
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryric wrote:
Now to see how much they are worth, the group rolls 5 power dice at 1000 gold per enhancement...3 surges and two blanks.

No reward.

When this happen, it's time for the overlord to point a finger towards heroes and throw his best "AH AH".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McMurray
msg tools
What was the high end of the random roll? I can't picture our group taking on a rumor that could give nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph LaMothe
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The rumor roll could net up to 5000 gold, (which is just as likely as 0); average gain should be 2000-3000 gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.