Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Corzo
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. When the rulebook states :" In non-player turns, Waffen SS and PZ VI King Tiger unit cards advance toward the US Home Row and initiate combat against any US unit card in front of them,..."; is this rule giving the Waffen SS a special ability for this scenario. It can't normally move and fire but are these rules to be taken literally or only fulfill as much as the unit can legally accomplish?

2. Do you really set up everything hidden ( cards face down) even in a solo game? SO, the rules are just like a 2 player game and only when there's contact do you flip the cards over?

I definitely will have to remember who has anti-air fire and the like.

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I think the intent (while not explicitly stated) is that the unit moves if possible, and if blocked from moving attacks the blocking unit. I don't think it's meant to give the units special abilities.

2) No. At least, there's no point in it. You'll know what they are, and the only new units are those that "pop up" in villages and such, when you move adjacent to them with the U.S. units. And since they will be adjacent, you'll put them down face-up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Corzo
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As to the second answer, I think one of the designers answered that you did keep them face down because they affect cards like Air Strike that only affect revealed (flipped ) cards. So, playing with all revealed cards would make those cards too powerful.

I was just confirming because I'm thinking of just using tokens from another game and placing them on the unrevealed cards (non-player or player) and then removing them when they actually reveal. That way I don't have to remember where everything is at all times.

I have a suspicion that the first question actually gives the unit special abilities, kind of like how reinforcement rules supersede the auto-dug in rules of the units drawn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Anderson
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
One of the cool things about the "Bluff" card, is that you can use it to partially reveal a statistic on flipped cards that support your other units, yet don't give away the rest of the card's ability for potential later use. This use is described in the Manual under "Bluff Cards".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Corzo
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How does this help with answering the question???

My main concern is question #1 because I want to know if I'm playing the solo scenario correctly or not.

Does the Waffen SS get to move and attack per the scenario's special instructions or do you fulfill the instructions to the best of the unit's abilities while still maintaining the normal rules for infantry which doesn't allow this?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Anderson
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
Blustar wrote:
How does this help with answering the question???

My main concern is question #1 because I want to know if I'm playing the solo scenario correctly or not.

Does the Waffen SS get to move and attack per the scenario's special instructions or do you fulfill the instructions to the best of the unit's abilities while still maintaining the normal rules for infantry which doesn't allow this?

thanks

It's an excellent question! To generalize the answer a bit to apply to any of these sorts of rule conflicts, the scenario or special instructions on the card, in the scenario, or elsewhere, always takes precedence over the general rules in the manual.

If it states for the scenario specifically, then that is the rule to follow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Kroegel
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Q When the rulebook states :" In non-player turns, Waffen SS and PZ VI King Tiger unit cards advance toward the US Home Row and initiate combat against any US unit card in front of them,..."; is this rule giving the Waffen SS a special ability for this scenario. It can't normally move and fire but are these rules to be taken literally or only fulfill as much as the unit can legally accomplish?

A No special ability is inferred here. It moves if it can move and when blocked from moving it attacks. It may not move and attack unless the card says so.

Q Do you really set up everything hidden ( cards face down) even in a solo game? SO, the rules are just like a 2 player game and only when there's contact do you flip the cards over?

A You should play it as the normal rules since cards may not be attacked unless revealed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omar Germino
United States
Schaumburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ckroegel wrote:
Q Do you really set up everything hidden ( cards face down) even in a solo game? SO, the rules are just like a 2 player game and only when there's contact do you flip the cards over?

A You should play it as the normal rules since cards may not be attacked unless revealed.

A contradictory answer appears in another thread:

ckroegel wrote:
Non-player unit cards are always placed face up on the map tiles intially during set-up or when they come as reinforcements.

Has the official ruling changed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.