Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Running
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have clicked on the link here and downloaded a file called "ghost stories.106" that I then can't do anything with. I am unfamiliar with the whole Vassal thing.

Thanks for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Uitz
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Daniel,

the file you have downloaded is a module for a Java program called "Vassal". It has all the game pieces you need to play a given boardgame except for the rules. Besides, it doesn't "help" you to play the game. You have to move the game pieces, roll the (online) dice and draw cards by clicking on them. The program does not tell you, if you are doing something wrong, so you have to know the rules.

To start with, I would suggest you start by clicking the following link:
http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/doku.php and Klick on "Getting Started"

If you still have questions, just ask...
The most advanced version of the module, however, is 1.17.

Dark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Running
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks. I know the rules and all that. I just want to play. So, I take it you download vassal first and then all the games? I can figure that out. I hope...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Uitz
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly.

Just follow the instructions given in the Getting Started section under "Adding new modules" and "Loading a module/basic controls" and you should be fine.

Dark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Johansen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I started playing, but there are a few things I can't figure out:

1. is there an actual enfeeblement token to use in the VASSAL version? I can't find it.
2. Is the idea of the VASSAL version that essentially you know what you're doing, you do everything yourself and there is no "cheating" monitor from the game?

I get the feeling the answer to 2 is yes. So basically I have to know the game fairly well to play the digital version. I just have to remember whose turn it is (if I'm playing with all 4 monks), I have to remember to draw my ghost at the beginning, or to haunt a tile, and the game simply takes me at my word as to whether or not I've actually exorcised a ghost.

Just checking--most of the online games I've played, like Cities & Knights and Acquire have some automated game play, so this feels very different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Uitz
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Julia,

1) you are right. The enfeeblement mantra isn't on the board when you start a new game. To get it, click "Pieces" in the Top bar (the one with the blue monk on it).
The third tab from the top is called "Enfeeblement Mantra". Klick it and drag and drop the Mantra icon onto the gameboard. From there you can place it wherever you want.

2) Yes, that is the idea behind the program. Vassal just gives you the game pieces, but has no intelligence regarding the game flow or rules logic. Vassal lets you do whatever you want to do and doesn't keep you from missing actions, dice rolls, etc.

Think of it that way: If the program helped you to play the game, many game companies would forbid their games to be converted in fear of selling less copies. (*peeks shyly towards FFG*).

Dark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Johansen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Dark--thank you for answering my questions! I thought that was the case but it never hurts to ask, just in case you're doing something wrong :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.