Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have any of you heard Martin Scorsese has a new movie coming out soon? You would think the studio would give it a bigger marketing push. What gives?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Petricini
United States
Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know what you mean. The first I had seen anything about this movie was last night during the Super Bowl - which was shocking for a movie with a big-time director/star.

From what I saw in the teaser, it looked interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder who his next love child is going to be after Leonardo starts looking too aged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Bigger push? I've been seeing ads for this movie for at least a month now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
erak wrote:
Have any of you heard Martin Scorsese has a new movie coming out soon? You would think the studio would give it a bigger marketing push. What gives?

They don't do it because they don't have to. Good movies will get great gross without a lot of advertising being spent.

It's the awful movies that need a good opening weekend to be profitable that get the full scale advertising treatment. Studios know that they get one shot to break even.

Oh, and it looks really good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Petricini
United States
Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shutter Island does look pretty good.

I also caught the ad for Alice In Wonderland during the SB. I'm pretty excited about Tim Burton's take on this story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:

I think Erik was being sarcastic, but maybe I'm mistaken...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Thommy8 wrote:
KSensei wrote:

Erik is never sarcastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I only liked DiCaprio in Gilbert Grape. That said, I haven't seen Critters 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:

The movie is in an interesting spot. It's based on a 2003 book by Dennis Lehane. The movie has been optioned pretty much since then but had plenty of challenges in getting to the final stages.

Anyone who has read the book knows how the movie is going to go. I am sure that is partially why it's not getting a big push. Anyone who knows the legacy of the book can pretty much find out the "spoiler" which will (likely) ruin the movie for them.

Think of it like The Usual Suspects. If you had read a book version of the story would the movie had quite the same impact on you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L C

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh hey, there's also a new movie by Paul Vervovheheheoven called Black Book. Looks interesting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L C

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jearles wrote:
erak wrote:

The movie is in an interesting spot. It's based on a 2003 book by Dennis Lehane. The movie has been optioned pretty much since then but had plenty of challenges in getting to the final stages.

Anyone who has read the book knows how the movie is going to go. I am sure that is partially why it's not getting a big push. Anyone who knows the legacy of the book can pretty much find out the "spoiler" which will (likely) ruin the movie for them.

Think of it like The Usual Suspects. If you had read a book version of the story would the movie had quite the same impact on you?

The Shutter Island book was like popcorn. I read the whole thing in like, 3 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendrick Martin
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
eggplantia5 wrote:
jearles wrote:
erak wrote:

The Shutter Island book was like popcorn. I read the whole thing in like, 3 hours.

It takes you three hours to read popcorn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eggplantia5 wrote:
Oh hey, there's also a new movie by Paul Vervovheheheoven called Black Book. Looks interesting...

It's been so over-hyped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L C

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:
Thommy8 wrote:
KSensei wrote:

Erik is never sarcastic.

Erik is never sarcastic.

I think we've seen a trailer of it every time we've gone to the movies since July. I've also seen TV commercials for it at least 4 times a day in the last two months. And you know what? It just doesn't look that good. I can take a stab at the "big twist ending" and I'll probably be right.

I know I'll end up seeing it anyway, just not in a theater and long after all the lines from the trailers mercifully leave my brain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
KSensei wrote:
Thommy8 wrote:
KSensei wrote:

Erik is never sarcastic.

Erik is never sarcastic.

I think we've seen a trailer of it every time we've gone to the movies since July. I've also seen TV commercials for it at least 4 times a day in the last two months. And you know what? It just doesn't look that good. I can take a stab at the "big twist ending" and I'll probably be right.

I know I'll end up seeing it anyway, just not in a theater and long after all the lines from the trailers mercifully leave my brain.

Oh good, I was beginning to wonder since there were so many people taking you at face value if I was perhaps mistaken.

But then I remembered, never take Erik at face value
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Thommy8 wrote:
erak wrote:
KSensei wrote:
Thommy8 wrote:
KSensei wrote:

Erik is never sarcastic.

Erik is never sarcastic.

Oh good, I was beginning to wonder since there were so many people taking you at face value if I was perhaps mistaken.

But then I remembered, never take Erik at face value

I'm not gullible at all. Really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:

I'm not gullible at all. Really.

Hey, I'll admit. You "get" a lot more jokes than most people around here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
erak wrote:
KSensei wrote:
Thommy8 wrote:
KSensei wrote:

Erik is never sarcastic.

Erik is never sarcastic.

Hm. Last night's trailer was only the second time I'd noticed it. Maybe NYC is getting the hard sell treatment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
erak wrote:
KSensei wrote:
Thommy8 wrote:
KSensei wrote:

Erik is never sarcastic.

Erik is never sarcastic.

Hm. Last night's trailer was only the second time I'd noticed it. Maybe NYC is getting the hard sell treatment.

The biggest sell in NYC is that wretched looking buddy cop movie, Cop Out. I saw the trailer for it opening for Daybreakers and it actually was a worse experience that sitting through the craptastic feature film. The only thing funny about Cop Out is how Kevin Smith's name is virtually hidden from any of the marketing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Shutter Island,

The first time I saw your trailer I knew what was going to happen kind of like the way you know which baby is going to fall off the table if there's only one baby crawling around on the table.

Better luck next time!

Sincerely,

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendrick Martin
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Let me be the first to say

Shudder Island

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
jearles wrote:
erak wrote:

Read the book a couple of years ago and as Jearles points out, there is a 'twist' in it. While it was enjoyable at the time, it wasn't something that I immediately thought of as making a good movie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.