Dirk DeWester
United States
Columbia Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a good two player game that can also be played with 3 or 4, maybe more players. I'm mostly interested in getting games that play well with just 2 as I don't have many of that type in my small collection.

The main person I'll be playing with loves Memoir 44 but doesn't have much gaming experience beyond that. Has also played Stone Age (4 player) and liked that OK but not as much as Memoir. He loves WWII movies so a WWII themed game would be good but is not a requirement.

Complexity is NOT an issue for me. I like challenging games but don't want to blow my gaming buddy out of the water with ASL level stuff. Deeper, longer games are OK as I can teach him as we play. I love El Grande but also really enjoy Formula DE and Stone Age. Variety is a good thing from my point of view.

I'm going to be buying 3+ games to get to the minimum for free shipping so a variety of suggestions is welcome. Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some Euro's that play well with two and more.

Louis XIV
Goa
Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery
Caylus
Tikal
Vasco da Gama
Vikings
Thurn and Taxis
Arkadia
Agricola
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mb
From my collection I would say:

Citadels: I really enjoy the 2 players game, and it is very good as well with 3-5. then it's a mather of taste, but it can be played up to 8 players.

If you want something heavier: Caylus. Excelent with 2, can be play up to 5.

Dominion 2-6 (personnaly prefer it with 3 or 4, but a lot of player love it with 2)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Houben
Netherlands
Voorburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Storm Over Stalingrad is a good two-player WW2-game. It uses area movement combined with event cards, which could be an interesting new mechanic for the both of you. Storm over Stalingrad has short and easy rules, it's playing time is limited and most of all: it's lots of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Snyder
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion for the quick, fun two player game that can expand beyond. It is easy to teach, and easy for players to grasp. And after a couple of plays, you can almost see the light go on as people start putting strategies togther.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Lords - Has an excellent 2p version included in the rules. Works well with 2-4 players. Excellent brain burner. It is pretty complex, but it's certainly teachable. I highly recommend it.

Kingsburg - A really fun game that uses dice to influence the king's advisers. Building up your town with acquired resources and then making sure it isn't overrun by demons or goblins is a hoot. Great game, that has beautiful components and is very easy to comprehend. Works well with two or more.

Witch of Salem - A Euro version of Arkham Horror. Very easy to explain, but plenty hard to actually win. It scales very well with 2-4. I have really enjoyed this one.

Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game - If you like Memoir and would like something with an "Us vs Them" style...than LNoE is perfect. I find playing with 2 people is just as much fun as playing with 3-4. Great components, excellent theme and plenty of expansions to keep these undead goons smelling fresh for a long time.

Good Luck

~ Bones

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Berndt
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a fan of medium-weight euro games, here are my current favorites for 2 players:
Stone Age
Race for the Galaxy
Pandemic
Dominion
Carcassonne

On my wish list:
Agricola
Tobago
Alhambra
Thebes
Goa

Some others to look at:
Carson City
Small World
Notre Dame
Dungeon Lords
Thunderstone
Vasco da Gama

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
San Juan
Pandemic
Ticket to Ride (Although some people find it has too much slack for 2 players, we like it a lot.)
Ingenious
Thurn & Taxis
Through the Desert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Often, geeklists are mere expressions of taste or opinion. Nothing wrong with that, but some GLs are really useful. This is one of my favourites:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/19346/games-that-are-w...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. 2-4 players, preferrably with combat? How about Neuroshima Hex!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay I
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like you've gotten many good suggestions already. I had a very similar situation to yours. I have a friend who loves Memoir. He did eventually get the hang of some other games (and was an A&A player previously), but I generally had to do all the research and purchasing. Here are some of the ones that we have enjoyed playing most. I will order them by top recommendation based on what you're asking:

Twilight Struggle - This one is purely two player, but it is a great 2 player game. It's not a direct conflict/dice rolling game like Memoir, but I think it could appeal to a Memoir player.

Axis & Allies: Pacific - I'm not a fan of this series, but this is my favorite that I have played because it does have a definitive end.

Tide of Iron - Pretty pricey and more complicated than Memoir. It's so similar that I think it's pretty much the next step from Memoir.

Dominion (Or Dominion: Intrigue)- This is a great game that is essential to everyone's collection. It scales to multiple players easily and it's fairly inexpensive.

Agricola - Another essential that's easily scalable. It's much more complex than most of the others I listed here, but once you play through once, you see that the rules make sense and aren't abstract.

Arkham Horror - It's a dice-fest if your friend likes the randomness. It might seem complicated at first, but it makes sense fairly quickly. Possibly too much for a new player depending on how interested they are in playing.

One of my favorite games is Mordheim. If you get into this, expect to spend about $50 each on miniatures. Also could be too much for a new player depending on their interest.

If I were you ordering three games, they would be Twilight Struggle, Dominion, and Agricola for about $111 total at coolstuffinc.com I think it would give you a good mix of diffirent styles of game, and all are playable with 2 while Dominion and Agricola easily scale up to 4+.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.