Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
Roll The Dice bordspelvereniging Veldhoven - http://www.rollthedice.nl
badge
I like playing Descent: Journeys in the Dark
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing all those mobile Dominion shuffle applications I could not resist to write one for my Android phone. I have put it on the Android market so that other people can also enjoy it. Search for Dominion Shuffle to find it.

Some features are:

* Includes the base set, Intrigue, Seaside and the two promotional cards.
* New expansions will be automatically available because the card data is downloaded from the internet.
* Has a flexible way of specifying the shuffle rules and choosing which chards to use.
* The chosen ten cards will fit on one screen.
* The result screen will stay on for at least three minutes so you have time to get your cards out of the box.
* The group selections and rules will be remembered between application startups.

For more information see: http://sites.google.com/site/dominionshuffle/
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!!! just got my droid a few weeks ago, and hope you keep porting over some of the great iphone and windows mobile apps!
I am going to be digging into android development myself soon, so I can aid in the cause.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Downloading this now for my Droid, which I used to learn about it.

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a very nice app. Can I make a feature request? (It's possible there's an easy way to do this already, but I can't seem to figure it out.)

When we play, it's usually several games in a row. We start with an initial random 10 kingdom cards, but for subsequent games, each player gets to remove one card from the set, and then we fill the empty spaces with 2-4 random cards (depending on how many players we have).

Ideally, the app would allow me to bring up the last set and either select 2-4 cards from that set to be excluded from the next shuffle or select the 6-8 cards that will remain in the next shuffle. As far as I can tell, right now the only way to do that is to go back to the main Select screen and scroll down to exclude/include the specific individual cards. It would be nice I could look at the current shuffle list, long-press on individual cards, and have the option to "include in next shuffle" or "exclude from next shuffle." Or have a menu with "modify current shuffle" and be able to select/deselect individual cards from the current shuffle list.

I have no idea how to program for Android, so I don't know how easy/feasible it is to make those changes. The app is great, and they would make it really REALLY great, but I'll be OK with just plain great if it's a huge project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thompson
Australia
Brisbane
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice!

Added to this geeklist:

Software Tools for Board Games, RPG's and BGG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dart
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
"In the beginning, the Earth was without form, and void."
badge
"O I know justice, it's a birthright if you're born right"
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have an Android device yet, but I hope to soon. This will be one of the first apps I get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joran Jessurun
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I will look at the responses and feature requests for some time, and then decide on what features to add.

One of the design goals was to keep it flexible and simple. That is the reason why currently the 'add a defense card if a attack card is selected' option is not in my application. If I would add that option, it should be something like 'add a minimum of X card of this group if at least Y cards of that other group have been selected'. That one looks a bit too complex.

We will see, but I think I will add some extra features in the future, but not too soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Perhaps a simple solution would be to allow a variable number of card to be s drawn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like the Limits tab to include "prohibit an individual card". I realize the functionality is present via the Select tab, but since Limits is where you go to force-include a particular card, I expect to be able to force-exclude in the same place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Jendreizik
Denmark
Brabrand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, nice and fast. Though compact and extended listing seems to do Them opposite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thanks for making this. Very cool. When I downloaded this for my Droid I noticed there is another one available as well called 'Randominion'. Both seem to work very well. I'll have to play around with both to see which one I prefer.

Thanks though. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bacchus
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic mate. Thanks very much for this effort. I'll give it a go. It's a shame that you haven't received any GG for this effort. We'll have to fix that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bacchus
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are actually three dominion shuffle apps in the market -

Dominion Shuffle (The OPs effort) - http://www.androlib.com/android.application.nl-spellenclubei...

Domino (doesn't include Seaside as of this writing) - http://www.androlib.com/android.application.net-zabuchy-domi...

Ramdominion - http://www.androlib.com/android.application.org-isotropic-ra...

Of these, I think I prefer Dominion Shuffle. I like having the min/max options presented right in front of me. Well done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, after playing with them for a bit I think I like Randominion and Dominion Shuffle almost equally. They both have cool qualities. Randominion is cool because it shows the color/type of the cards, Dominion shuffle is cool because it shows the coin cost.

Now someone make an app where we can view/read all of the cards!

Or better yet, an app to PLAY DOMINION ON OUR DROIDS!! That would be the greatest thing EVER! (aside from the part where Rio Grande Games sues you):D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
The site says that the app wants to "randomly select a balanced set of cards" for the game. What does "balanced" mean? Does it mean that you have some sort of mechanism inside that's influencing the random draw (preferring some cards if others come up, etc) or is it just that you respect the input preferences? I am a huge fan of "all random, all the time" and wouldn't want the app to be biasing my sets...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joran Jessurun
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jsciv wrote:
The site says that the app wants to "randomly select a balanced set of cards" for the game. What does "balanced" mean?

I think the word "balanced" should not be there. I think I added it, because when you enter some rules, it is differently random. Some cards get a bigger chance of being chosen. I try to keep it as random as possible, but especially the minimum rules make it difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joran Jessurun
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I added some more features to the program after using it a few times.

* On the screen where the selected 10 cards are shown you can specify which cards should be excluded or required for the next shuffle.
* You can now load and save the shuffle rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks! I've got it on my Droid so I'll break it out next time we play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Catchpole
Australia
Ashfield
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why does this want all these permissions? Prevent from sleeping is useful, but the rest seem unnecessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I downloaded this yesterday and used it last night. It rocks! Thanks for a great contribution to a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joran Jessurun
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KindredSprites wrote:
Why does this want all these permissions? Prevent from sleeping is useful, but the rest seem unnecessary.

It has the wakelock permission to keep the device on a bit longer on the result screen and the internet permission to download the card and group information. No other permissions are required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Catchpole
Australia
Ashfield
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I guess this was compiled for pre donut. If you try to install the app on later versions of the android it assumes that the permissions to read the phone state and read/write to the sdcard are required. You can avoid this, I believe, by setting the targetSdkVersion parameter in the uses-sdk tag of the manifest.

I realize it may be unattractive to include the card data in the install package but it's not as though the cards change so frequently to warrant downloading them. It would probably be easy enough to just push a new version to the market when new expansions get released. Then you wouldn't have people wonder why a card randomiser needs to connect to the internet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joran Jessurun
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is true, it was made with the 1.5 sdk (3), because I have a HTC Hero, that only supports 1.5. Buy I now changed it to the 1.6 sdk and added the targetSdkVersion (introduced in sdk 1.6) to the manifest. Now testing if everything works well on my phone. If it does, I will put this version on the market and so reducing the number of permissions it asks. Thank you for pointing this out to me.

I think I will keep the download cards and groups option, but I am planning to save a local copy for when you have no internet available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Catchpole
Australia
Ashfield
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. For the moment I am one of those rare people with a smart phone without a data plan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joran Jessurun
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KindredSprites wrote:
Thanks. For the moment I am one of those rare people with a smart phone without a data plan.

I already implemented it, now I need to test it a few days before I publish it.

Another and probably for the time being the last addition will be something I am going to call 'Conditional Limit'. Not sure yet about the name. With this option you can conditionally put a minimum 1 rule or a require card rule on a group or card. The rule will be enforced if at least one card is selected from the target group.

An example could be a conditional rule on the Defense group linked to the Attack group. So that if a attack card is selected also a defense card will be selected. You could also put then a conditional rule on the Deck Reduction group linked to the Add Curses group. So when a card that can generate a curse is chosen also a card that can probably can get rid of those curses will be selected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.