Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Geordies, represent! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
As an exiled native of Geordieland (that's the north east of England for all you transatlantic/european types. I should also point out that Geordieland in NO way encompasses Sunderland), I'm just wondering how many of us lucky enough to have been born in Gods Own Country are here on the geek?

Reply to this post to get some Geordie pride going on the geek, the reasons why you left, if any, where you are now, and whether or not you remember the first Games Workshop (boo-hiss) store in Newcastle, when it wasn't corporate hell, and when it actually used to sell good games. Yes, back in the early 80's, when GW was just getting going, actual, real-life Avalon Hill classics could be bought from their shelves.

Personally, I didn't so much leave, as got kicked out for wearing a coat in the winter and not liking beer. I still need a visa to go and visit me mam every xmas.

Haway the lads...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derren Branson
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shauneroo wrote:
and not liking beer.


I can vouch for that, he drinks that pretend Cider with Ice in it and everything.

Plays a mean game of ASL though, for a Northerner….
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Forbes

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just making sure you all can make it...

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
jforbes wrote:
Just making sure you all can make it...



He's certainly an honourary Geordie. I hear he can neck a bottle of broon in 30 seconds flat.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Borgelin
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I too am a Geordie in exile. Now living in the South West. I remember buying games from Games Workshop too... I remember in 1986/7 buying copies of Imperium Romanum II, Druid, Onslaught and a variety of others that I can't remember now. They had a free standing unit with all sorts of gaming goodness for sale...those were the days. I remember when the Virgin Mega Store in Eldon Square opened and they too sold some great stuff. Picked up Red Storm Rising, Enemy in Sight, A10 Apache Gunship Leader, Hornet Leader and so forth. They even sold copies of 'The General'..I certainly spent some money and a lot of hours there! Good to hear from a fellow Geordie.

Noo hadaway an geet some gamin dunnn wore kid!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a Geordie... but my nana and granddad were. Newcastle-born, but moved to Coventry before the war for work.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Hatricvs wrote:
I too am a Geordie in exile. Now living in the South West. I remember buying games from Games Workshop too... I remember in 1986/7 buying copies of Imperium Romanum II, Druid, Onslaught and a variety of others that I can't remember now. They had a free standing unit with all sorts of gaming goodness for sale...those were the days. I remember when the Virgin Mega Store in Eldon Square opened and they too sold some great stuff. Picked up Red Storm Rising, Enemy in Sight, A10 Apache Gunship Leader, Hornet Leader and so forth. They even sold copies of 'The General'..I certainly spent some money and a lot of hours there! Good to hear from a fellow Geordie.

Noo hadaway an geet some gamin dunnn wore kid!


Aye, the Virgin Megastore got a considerable amount of my paper-round pounds on both music and games.

A store where you could buy the latest Smiths 12" and Squad Leader! Great times indeed.

Apart from the miners strike and Thatcher and that.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
wifwendell wrote:
I'm not a Geordie... but my nana and granddad were. Newcastle-born, but moved to Coventry before the war for work.


Well, you never know just who's out there do you.

Wifwendell has Geordie blood!

Hadaway. (Translated into English means, in this context, 'You don't mean to tell me')
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Born in wallsend, lived in Backworth then we moved to North Shields when i was 2 , I lived there until I was 15.5 then we moved to San Diego ( me dads job at Swan Hunters wasnt looking to good for the future)

Definitely a culture shock! I was back in Newcastle in 1985 for a visit to sell the house etc, and i actually did go to teh GW store , all i knew about GW up until then was a cool wizard combat game ( warlock?) and I saw they had geet lush 2000AD licensed products and some crazy dark future looking stuff " War..hammer forty what?? what the hell is this, it will never catch on........"

So after socal of course we emigrated again, this time to Eastern Canada

Shields to San diego = win
San Diego to Saint John NB= Fail

on a quick sidenote, the last air traffic control license my old manager signed off on was mine, and being from Portsmouth, at the end of the official form, instead of saying something like
"good luck, or congratulations"
it says
" Howay the lads!"

how cool is that?

19 yrs later, im still here doing the ATC gig and I now work with his daughter
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
dude163 wrote:
Born in wallsend, lived in Backworth then we moved to North Shields when i was 2 , I lived there until I was 15.5 then we moved to San Diego ( me dads job at Swan Hunters wasnt looking to good for the future)

Definitely a culture shock! I was back in Newcastle in 1985 for a visit to sell the house etc, and i actually did go to teh GW store , all i knew about GW up until then was a cool wizard combat game ( warlock?) and I saw they had geet lush 2000AD licensed products and some crazy dark future looking stuff " War..hammer forty what?? what the hell is this, it will never catch on........"

So after socal of course we emigrated again, this time to Eastern Canada

Shields to San diego = win
San Diego to Saint John NB= Fail

on a quick sidenote, the last air traffic control license my old manager signed off on was mine, and being from Portsmouth, at the end of the official form, instead of saying something like
"good luck, or congratulations"
it says
" Howay the lads!"

how cool is that?

19 yrs later, im still here doing the ATC gig and I now work with his daughter


Backworth! I'm from Shiremoor. We're practically related.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm an honorary Geordie! I lived there for three years (Sandyford) and worked there for another one.

I'm actually from the South West though, which a Geordie friend reliably informs me is part of France. shake

Cheers,

Jack
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shauneroo wrote:


Backworth! I'm from Shiremoor. We're practically related.


I was incorrect , Me mam said , we didnt live in Backworth we lived

"on South Street in Shiremoor" Her dad was from Backworth and worked at the mines
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Leech
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the great fortune to still live in Newcastle. Was born and bred here before a brief time in the Midlands studying for my degree in Birmingham and getting my first jobs around Staffordshire and Shropshire.

I came back to Newcastle in 1994 and it's still great. I remember queuing for the opening of the infamous GW shop on Clayton Street at some horrible hour of the morning to get a discount and a freebie. It also doesn't seem that long ago that you could stock up on Magic cards and RPGs in Virgin although I can't remember the whereabouts of the store in Eldon Square, I can only remember the Megastore on Northumberland street.

We've still got a Forbidden Planet although their games selection has drastically dropped recently although luckily there is a Travelling Man just down the road where the adorably cute Becca keeps a huge stock of board and card games.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
dude163 wrote:
Shauneroo wrote:


Backworth! I'm from Shiremoor. We're practically related.


I was incorrect , Me mam said , we didnt live in Backworth we lived

"on South Street in Shiremoor" Her dad was from Backworth and worked at the mines


South Street eh? Holy moly. I grew up on Bridge Terrace, about oooh, 1 minute's walk from South Street.

I figured this thread would bring the Geordies out of the closet, but didn't figure on finding one so local!

Gannonkiddagetstuckin.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
jonnyalpha wrote:
I have the great fortune to still live in Newcastle. Was born and bred here before a brief time in the Midlands studying for my degree in Birmingham and getting my first jobs around Staffordshire and Shropshire.

I came back to Newcastle in 1994 and it's still great. I remember queuing for the opening of the infamous GW shop on Clayton Street at some horrible hour of the morning to get a discount and a freebie. It also doesn't seem that long ago that you could stock up on Magic cards and RPGs in Virgin although I can't remember the whereabouts of the store in Eldon Square, I can only remember the Megastore on Northumberland street.

We've still got a Forbidden Planet although their games selection has drastically dropped recently although luckily there is a Travelling Man just down the road where the adorably cute Becca keeps a huge stock of board and card games.


Yes, the one on Clayton Street is the GW store I was reminiscing about in the post, although I think that even earlier than that it was in a different location. You used to be able to get all manner of great stuff in there, and I recall once playing in a Battlecars tournament in store, with spectators and everything.

As for the Virgin in Eldon Square, if memory serves, it was towards the back end of Eldon, near where WH Smith used to be, heading out towards the Monument Metro. It used to be Our Price I think, but then Virgin took it over.

I've never managed to find Travelling Man, but given that's it's run by 'The adorably cute Becca', I may have to redouble my efforts the next time I'm there, which will probably be around Easter time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shauneroo wrote:

I've never managed to find Travelling Man, but given that's it's run by 'The adorably cute Becca',



ooh vicar!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.