Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
ashtonwa wrote:
Any recommendations from those who have some experience with all 3?

I own all three, but haven't played Stone Age yet (received it two days ago).

Carson City does the western theme great justice, and if you enjoy that, you'll love the game. It is also very customizable with all the characters coming with an easier Yellow side, and a harder (and more fun) red side. The board is also double-sided, allowing for even more options. The "luck" element when it comes to shooting is over exaggerated. When you've played the game enough you realize that you mainly use your firepower to bully your way into nobody challenging you for your selected actions, not to knock off other player's cowboys (workers). It truly is a great game.

Vasco da Gama features a great twist to normal worker placement games, given that the resolution order is not always the same. The game is very good, but I have not played it as much as Carson City yet. I am very keen on playing more of Vasco da Gama, and would not like to have to choose one of these titles over the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I have only played Stone Age of the three you mention, I can complement Yokiboy, and add that Stone Age is a classic. I have a feeling it is lighter than the other two, but it is still a good challenge, and it is one of my most played games. It works for non-gamers who are willing to work a bit to get it, and is also a great one hour game for gamers. It works great with two, that is how I have played it the most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher DeFrisco
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Ah, negative. I am a meat popsicle.
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice synopsis Yoki boy!

I haven't played Vasco da Gama (though almost had the chance this past weekend cry )

There is quite a bit more meat to Carson City than Stone Age. My wife hasn't yet played Carson City, but her and I really enjoy Stone Age as a two person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan L
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age: gulp
Carson City:
Vasco da Gama:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only one of the three I've played is Stone Age, and the theme is part of what attracts me. If it doesn't attract you, it might be a bad purchase. Read the reviews and see what you think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the other two, but I can say that Stone Age is an outstanding two-player game, and (after your first learning game) you can probably play it in about an hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sapiro
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played Vasco but have played Stone Age and Carson City a few times and enjoyed them very much. I am torn between them but i like carson city more as it does have aspects of Caylus to it and i really enjoy that too.

Get them all, you can't lose!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.