Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Palmarozzi
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While waiting for all the gamers to arrive in a given night...is there some sort of a short or variable length game that people can jump into midstream?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ricochet Robots would be perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One suggestion is SCATTEGORIES. Each "round" lasts less than 5 minutes, and it can be scored per round instead of adding them all up in the end. It is a very LIGHT game, but it serves as a good ice-breaker game or good "kill-some-time" game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lott
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Egyptian Ratscrew, just need a deck of cards.
Unnamed Object, while not written in the rules, it still works ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Sorel
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is easy to jump into Fluxx at time, since the rules and goals are constantly changing, just sit down grab three cards and you are good to go.

My favorite version is Martian Fluxx.

Chrononauts can work the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Kallen
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Duel of Ages is great for that. Since it plays with two teams, it doesn't matter how many people are playing, just how many characters each team plays with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Lewis
United States
Grosse Pointe Farms
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Fluxx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Daniels
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While not a filler, per se, Canvas Eagles is an awesome 'jump-in-mid-stream' game. It can be as short or as long as you wish and so well-worth any effort to make yourself a copy with 6-10 model planes adapted for the game mechanics. I cannot recommend this game enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hop-Scotch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Frazier
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll 3rd Fluxx

Also some longer games that allow players to jump in:

Munchkin, there's many versions of them my favorite being Super Munchkin

Killer Bunnies REMIX (I'd say get remix if you can since it supposedly has the "best" cards throughout all the expansions

Pit is also a game where you can jump in and play (especially if you have no goal score)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Snyder
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Shouldn't you be playing a game with me instead of wasting time on the Internet?
mbmbmbmbmb
Zendo, SET, and Treehouse work pretty well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tyler
United States
Minnetonka
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boggle, if you like word games. Games last about 3-5 minutes, depending on how fast you go through the scoring lists.

Most party games would work well, including Apples to Apples, the aforementioned Scattergories, Taboo, and Time's Up! (maybe).

For our kind of games, Shadows over Camelot has explicit rules for jumping in mid-game, but is not short. TransAmerica and Trans Europa could work. The new player could just start with the average (or low or high) score of the current players. Race for the Galaxy and Dominion are both short enough that every 2-3 players showing up could start a game. You'd need multiple copies of RftG, but one person's copy of Dominion with expansions (including Dominion: Intrigue) would be sufficient for 2-3 games of Dominion, easily. No Thanks! would work, with the new player getting his starting 11.

With Unnamed Object, try scoring total treasure divided by the number of expeditions, to normalize for participation in different number of expeditions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll also chime in with a reccomendation for Fluxx. And there's now Zombie fluxx, in addition to all the others. If its a religious group, then there's Christian or Jewish fluxx cards you can add.

I much prefer Attribute over Apples to Apples, and you can jump in that one too

Wits & wagers might work, perhaps give the newcomer chips equal to whatever the amount is the lowest of a player currently playing (or just start them out at the starting level if they don't mind perhaps having a disadvantage)

Also, any game that has rounds/play to a certain score can probably be adapted. For instance, crokinole is very fast and you usually play to 100 score if I remember right. You can just stop the game and call it whenever a new guy comes in.
There's another game I'm thinking of... Category 5? You play until someone crosses 100 points and the person with least points is the winner. Well just call the game at the end of a round in which someone came in.

Oh and Mow/Moo is another quicky fun card game you play to a certain score.

Adapting a game so you can call it when someone new walks in is easy, but still, games like Fluxx or Attribute are superior because people can jump in and out at any time without disrupting the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.