Popular Tags: [View All]
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me? I feel like the game has more strategy, etc. Maybe it's just because I played with new people, but I had someone argue with me that it's better for the seer NOT to reveal because they'd rather be lynched then night killed!

wow

I mean, I won both times (In the first game, the whole evil team including the sorc made it to the end.)

It was still a lot of fun, though. Apparently, I'm much more persuasive in person then online. I was never even close to being the lynch target either game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Morphine
msg tools
mb
For those of us who have tremendous difficulties lying in RL (I can't stop laughing for example), forum WW is ideal! I am still laughing out loud while writing every single post as evil, but no one can hear me. Suckers! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RIOT
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidenkinderen wrote:
For those of us who have tremendous difficulties lying in RL (I can't stop laughing for example), forum WW is ideal! I am still laughing out loud while writing every single post as evil, but no one can hear me. Suckers! devil

Yeah, you don't have to have a poker face for online WW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawn
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Hi! I'm SelenA. Please don't kill me.
mbmbmbmbmb
RL WW is better when you've had a few drinks though. No one can dig up slurred posts where you outed yourself accidentally. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
Enter Text Here
badge
[b][Vote :goo:][/b]
mbmbmbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:
Is it just me? I feel like the game has more strategy, etc.
It is kinda funny, I played F2F first, and enjoyed it. Then a friend (Bluelise where are you?!?) tried to talk me into playing online... I thought it would be silly because you couldn't watch for small mistakes like smiling or what not. I was wrong. Online Werewolf has 2 HUGE advantages over F2F WW.

1: Logs - The ability to go back over previous days posts and find inconsistencies makes for a MUCH deeper game.
2: Time - Taking 24 hours to do a day makes for much more talking and a much deeper game.

Online WW also has a few other lesser, but still nice advantages...

1: Chat Rooms - The ability for the Wolves in particular, and other Masons to have private chats is very significant.
2: no role cards - The fact that it is obvious when you are looking at your role card in F2F is a disadvantage as it prevents anything but the simplest of roles. Private chat with the mod further enables more complex games and roles.
3: And others...

Really the two games are different and use some very different skills. Both are fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action
United States
Hickory
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
mbmbmbmbmb
_SelenA_ wrote:
RL WW is better when you've had a few drinks though. No one can dig up slurred posts where you outed yourself accidentally. whistle

I'm almost positive that Cindy once outed herself in a very slurred drunken post online once.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawn
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Hi! I'm SelenA. Please don't kill me.
mbmbmbmbmb
woodjh wrote:

I'm almost positive that Cindy once outed herself in a very slurred drunken post online once.....

Only once?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
_SelenA_ wrote:
woodjh wrote:

Only once?

Only once she'd admit to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer in-person online WW.

We all sit in a circle with laptops and post in the game forum.

Good fun. And you can do other stuff while you play. If you laugh you can just blame it on a funny youtube video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Merced
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Webcams. C'mon let's take it to the next level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Melriken wrote:
2: no role cards - The fact that it is obvious when you are looking at your role card in F2F is a disadvantage as it prevents anything but the simplest of roles.

You can also have the BSG issue where the villagers just glance at their card and put them aside, but the more complex ones take a little while to read and digest. Possibilities:

(a) Put in the BSG rule where everyone has to look at their card for a set amount of time.

(b) Put a poem or some flavour text on the simpler cards so that people spend some time reading those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val K
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
mbmbmbmbmb
_SelenA_ wrote:

I agree with David. Sometimes it's freaking hard to lie in person when people ask you point blank if you are a wolf..

Of course *I* don't have that problem.. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrimJester wrote:

Actually, why haven't we tried this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val K
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
mbmbmbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:
GrimJester wrote:

My guess would be because you can't find good/free software that lets you talk to multiple people at once that doesn't slow down [to the point of extreme choppyness & irritation] to the speed of the slowest user. At least that's why my attempts to get online RPGing with my old college crew failed about a year ago.. Skype doesn't do it. We tried a trail version of ooVoo but no satisfaction. Why don't you see what you can come up with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
davidenkinderen wrote:

This is my experience too. When I try to be evil in person I just blow it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Valkerie32 wrote:
jageroxorz wrote:
GrimJester wrote:

My guess would be because you can't find good/free software that lets you talk to multiple people at once that doesn't slow down [to the point of extreme choppyness & irritation] to the speed of the slowest user. At least that's why my attempts to get online RPGing with my old college crew failed about a year ago.. Skype doesn't do it. We tried a trail version of ooVoo but no satisfaction. Why don't you see what you can come up with?

I was going to suggest Skype until I read the rest of your paragraph. So in your experience it doesn't scale well with more participants?

Would it cut down on bandwidth if we could somehow connect via picture only, and do the talking in a chat room?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh Captain! My Captain!
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:

Would it cut down on bandwidth if we could somehow connect via picture only, and do the talking in a chat room?

How is that different from, say, msn group convo?

Edit: Unless you don't mean a static picture; but then I do not understand you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Era
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
A friend in need is a friend indeed
badge
An enemy in need is hilarious
mbmbmbmbmb
We could just run a mashed up game is Cassandra group chat. Or Cassandra Communications chat, for that matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Dekal wrote:
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:

I don't mean a static picture, I mean just using webcams only, no microphones. MSN would do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
Enter Text Here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
Dekal wrote:
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:

I don't mean a static picture, I mean just using webcams only, no microphones. MSN would do it.
That would be like going on a diet, so you go to McDonald's and order a Big Mac, Large Fries.... and a Diet Coke.

Yes it is less calories, no it isn't going to even come close to fixing your problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Fabulous
United States
Hillsborough/Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Melriken wrote:
That would be like going on a diet, so you go to McDonald's and order a Big Mac, Large Fries.... and a Diet Coke.

Yes it is less calories, no it isn't going to even come close to fixing your problems.

hmm.. what about chicken nuggets? I quit fast food some time ago, but I am having MAD chicken nugget cravings today... I can totally order those, right? perfectly healthy?

whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
Enter Text Here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuchick wrote:
Melriken wrote:

hmm.. what about chicken nuggets? I quit fast food some time ago, but I am having MAD chicken nugget cravings today... I can totally order those, right? perfectly healthy?

whistle
Sure, perfectly healthy... there is absolutely no fried chicken in those (not being sarcastic... there isn't any )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Urza, PhD of Dungeon Crawl
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also find online WW superiour to F2F. I like the voting, the more complex rules/roles, the longer timespan, the private anonymous chats. Take Doom, for instance; no way can you do that F2F.

I do miss the in-person feel, though. Maybe that's because I can lie convincingly in person. (and I'm a good poker player, too) Also, there's a few "gamey" tactics that I don't really care for: sniping, hard cryptography, etc. Fortunately, those can be legislated away in the rules, via random lynch times and such. (Except in 24, sniping seems to fit the theme in that game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did like parts of in-person WW, but I too can lie convincingly in person.

I think I just prefer online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Mendenhall
United States
Mt Pleasant,
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like them both... and will never forget the best F2F game I played once.

I was at my sister's apartment, and we were playing with some friends and family. Anyways, my sister's brother-in-law (Isaac) and I (Dwight) were wolves. Now no offense to Isaac, but he isn't the most convincing and most well liked person ever. Anyways, someone comes out as seer and claims Isaac as wolf. Isaac says "You can't be the seer, I'm the seer and (long pause here)... Dwight is a wolf!"

Everyone could tell that is was a bogus claim with the pause and everything. So my friend Zac (he actually played an online game here once) was completely convinced that I couldn't be a wolf because of that claim. So of course, I left Zac alive for the final three, lynched the other player and made Zac never trust me again! The best part was is Isaac didn't even mean to make it that amazing of a play. It was perfect!

That is one of the reasons why I like F2F. That being said, I will play both when time allows, though I do thoroughly enjoy F2F... it's just not long enough

(I'm really tired and have no idea if this post makes any sense, but who cares?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.