Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So as people have begun to discuss, the Demographics strategy can be an alternative way to win states. Demographics are higher variance. At times they can be dead, and at other times they can threaten several states at once. So what is the best way to play this strategy?

The big difference:
The primary difference between the demographic strategy and standard support strategies is that demographics cards give support on both issues. This often puts the player in a position to win on either side of an issue with the addition of a small amount of support on that side.

The opponent cant defend against a demographic strategy by changing the issue. They have to defend by playing support!

As a result, a demographic strategy cares a lot about having support cards in both issues, and not nearly as much about changing the issue.

Essentially, the demographic strategy should play cards that care about issue movement, and to fit in the demographic and demographic effecting cards.

'No defense':
One key about the demographic cards is that they dont play defense AT ALL. Switching an undecided voter to your side does not increase the difficulty of your opponent winning that state at all! It might help you race by winning first, but it doesnt defend.

When you play a lot of support (in your strong area) and issue movement cards, the issue movement cards are playing defense. But if an opponent puts down support in their strong issue somehwere and shifts the issue ot their side, and you play a demographic card to claim the undecided voters, the opponent doesnt care! They play another support card and are close to winning, and your control of undecided voters does nothing.

I feel that with a demographic strategy, you need to focus a lot on getting your 'weak' issue cards, so that you can fight over the side of the issue that the opponent will move it towards. These play defense and offesne for you. You still want some of your strong issue support, to finish off states you played a demographic for that the opponent didnt contest much, but these tend to come easily.

With a demographic strategy, since you dont care as much about issue modification, you're going to want a lot of support + draw cards, along with support + demographic modification. You also will want at least one way, probalby two, to discard a dead card for effect, as demographic cards are sometimes dead.

Your goal in the demographic deck is to make up for the lack of efficiency of some of your plays (dead cards, dead demographics), with some spectacular plays, and then to attack on either issue without caring what the issue status is, because you have strnegth on both sides.

Sample Obama demographic deck (where it worked out well):

2 Fundraisers (Draw3 / Draw2Play1)
2 Media Control.
2 Demographics support cards.
1 Switch demographic + Support Economy.
1 Switch demographic + Support Defense.
1 Support Defense + Draw.
2 Support Economy + Draw.

1 Audactiy of Hope special.
1 No more Politics as Usual special.

1 '2 Support in Defense / Discard 2' Attack card
1 '1 Support in both Issues' Attack card

Pick priority:
(Top)
Fundraiser card
Obama Specials
Media Control
Support + Draw in your weak issue.
Switch Demographic + Support in your weak issue.
Support + Draw in strong issue (there are more of them).
Switch Demographic + Draw in strong issue.
Attack / Discard cards.
Demographics (You only really need a couple out of the 10 of them. Clearly this goes up near the end if you didnt get them yet).
(Bottom)

Any thoughts on this? Where am I right/wrong? Is there a better form of this demographic deck? Are these priorities out of order?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are my demographic strategy results so far:

Its been really bad with 4 demographic support cards inthe deck.
Its worked decently with 2 demographic cards in the deck, less dead cards, just focus on making a couple big plays during the game with those cards.

The demographic strategy would often get a lead when the big play occurred, but then lose ground throughout the other 2/3rds of the game, lacking the tools to compete effectively over those other times.

I find that with the demographic strategy I could often pick up an additional small state in addition to the medium-largish state I wouldve won already if the demograhic focused cards I played had been some other support cards. But then those states would be gone and the demographic cards would suck the rest of the game.

I tried the Women demographic as one of mine multiple times, as it has many states and is often the key demographic to start. (I like the picture of 'The View', with McCain sitting there with four women, and all 5 of them have their legs crossed)
I could leave little states like Montana with the Women demographic out there at first, then pull out a bigger one and hit them all. The opponent wouldnt waste time with Montana first.

This could usually pick up a couple extra small states, before sucking. Your opponent is probably not going to play out a state of their with a demographic that you have thats already in play, unless you luck into it at the start. They'll play it out solo later on and then they might try to win it quick.

I havent tried the opposite demographic strategy yet - using big state Demos like Jewish Coservatives to win one big state. But I feel like the attack cards do a good job of this. SOmetimes they only net like 1 support in that big state on each side anyway, at which point, why not play a support + benefit card, and have it be strong all game?

Perhaps there are certain demographics that work much better for one candidate or the other? I havent figured this out yet. It seems likely, but takes a lot of analysis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is interesting.

How does McCain keep 'Dont Blame Me' in play? Obama can quickly Audacity into his media control, especially if he has multiple.

Of course, I find that Obama has the easy out of discarding dead demographic cards to Audacity. Is it really easier for McCain?

I definitely think this is something to explore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
houjix wrote:
Edit: Just tried this deck against Obama recursive draw and it got slaughtered horrifically.

Yeah....

Demographic strategy seems very hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
One potential with McCain ... get the Game Changer, and after you've used your best demographic card once or twice, chuck it. I did that last night with Lieberman ... He got Florida on the first time through the deck, so the second time through he was whisked away to an undisclosed location (to bring in the straight talk express).

I won, but it was against a new player. Still, an idea to consider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dolan
United States
Highland Lakes
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that you should take a couple of cards that change the demographics is a necesity. It allows you to manipulate the demographics to where youneed thme to be for those states that aren't the key demographics.

I played the other day as Obamawith three demographic cards (Jewish Conservitives, Women and College Grads.) It worked pretty well but I had to scramble at the finish as my opponent started to play against the known demographics. That's where the discard 2 cards for support came in handy. Once the dempgraphics have been played to death you need to have cards that make them useful even if they are negative.

Making a good demographic deck is a challenge and requires good support cards to make them work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.