Small World» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Skeletons Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Brachson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Howdy,

I have played few games recently and I have found Skeletons one of the best race. Last game I've played with my Wife I got Dragonmaster-Skeletons and it was total overrun.

After 5th turn I had all Skeleton tokens from the tray and my Wife gave up the game.

I have not played many Small World games but is it normal that some races tend to be overpowered and some seems to be useless?

What would you do against the Dragonmaster-Skeletons?

And last question:
When Skeleton dies he goes to tray, but when I got new one I take it from the tray again - some basically they are infinitely many?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
You do know you only get a new skeleton token for every *two* *occupied* regions you conquer, yes? It's usually pretty tough to get more than one/turn. That said, they are usually pretty good. Best defense is probably to not leave single units in spots where you can get to them and then to pounce on you to start whittling down units (and yes you can pull eliminated skellies back out of the box).

brachson wrote:
Howdy,

I have played few games recently and I have found Skeletons one of the best race. Last game I've played with my Wife I got Dragonmaster-Skeletons and it was total overrun.

After 5th turn I had all Skeleton tokens from the tray and my Wife gave up the game.

I have not played many Small World games but is it normal that some races tend to be overpowered and some seems to be useless?

And last question:
When Skeleton dies he goes to tray, but when I got new one I take it from the tray again - some basically they are infinitely many?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
You do know you only get a new skeleton token for every *two* *occupied* regions you conquer, yes? It's usually pretty tough to get more than one/turn. That said, they are usually pretty good. Best defense is probably to not leave single units in spots where you can get to them and then to pounce on you to start whittling down units (and yes you can pull eliminated skellies back out of the box).

That being said, yes, DM-Skellies are one of the nastier combinations you can have with Skeletons. (See also "Commando Skeletons," "Berserker Skeletons" and "Marauding Skeletons" from the "Cursed!" expansion.)

brachson wrote:

Attack them. Attack them a *lot*. Make them lose more tokens than they can get back even by using the Dragon to get the almost-free one. Either that, or remove yourself from near them and relocate to a different area of the board so that the Skeleton player has to either come chasing after you, or up and relocate himself, which limits at least the number of regions he will have. (The "relocate yourself" option is doubly great if you happen to be playing the Gypsies from the "Grand Dames" expansion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first game I played, someone got DM Skeletons. I closed off the top end of the board from them with some sort of really tough defensive race (fortified halflings, or something like that).

The Pillaging Elves in the same game were also pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First: I don't really like the 2 player game, there's too much focus on being aggressive, where in say 4-player games, some aggression is good, but you really need to be looking to maximize your own score rather than stomp face. You can also use the rest of the group to curb one overly powerful combo. As such, after the couple of 2 player games I played (and won), I decided to avoid 2 player Small World. 4 player games are much more interesting, IMO.

I didn't do much when I got Berserk Skeletons - I think it was only my last and final turn with them did I get to conquer 4 territories (rather than 3.)

Commando Kobolds on the other hand, were pretty nasty, the player would just keep abandoning all regions and stomping on any player who spread themselves out. We were new, so we kept spreading ourselves thin rather than keep our regions well defended and sticking to the mountains. We also began whittling down his kobolds... and one player got to enjoy the Troll's racial advantage.

If we had played defensively sooner, or some other aggressive combo had come up sooner (Dragon Master - Elves had already come up, taken earlier by the Commando Kobolds player), then the combo would have been less devastating. The Commando Kobolds player ended up getting 2nd or 3rd I think anyways. Player with the trolls (who wisely stuck to the mountains) won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Superfly Snuka
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are playing 2 player right? To be honest, without the help of another player, I think you have to tip your king and play another game. If the Skeleton players plays them right, he will get at least 1 Skeleton extra a turn. If the Skeleton players plays like a fool and spreads out to get the extra Skeleton, then you could beat them. Just attack them as often as you can. The only race that I could think of that could make it interesting would be merchant elves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.