Pandemic» Forums » Rules

Subject: Medic and cured disease rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dom
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a question just arose in my gaming community...

The rules for the french version (apparently, i've not seen them) state that whenever the medic moves into a city where there are cubes of a disease for which the cure has been found (not yet eradicated), he removes ALL CUBES from the ENTIRE board.

This is not how I read it in the z-man english rules, though I may be wrong in my interpretation...

It seems illogic as it would defeat the entire purpose of eradication if all you had to do is reach one infected city of the cured color to destroy everything off the board..

anyway, I'd like an official answer..anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you ever get sick, hope that a French doctor somewhere meets somebody with the same disease.

The English rules (which AFAIK were written by the designer) definitely do NOT read the way you describe the French rules. They say that only the cubes in the city the medic visits are cleared. This happens automatically if a cure for the disease is known; otherwise, it will cost one of the medic's actions to clear out the cubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
If you ever get sick, hope that a French doctor somewhere meets somebody with the same disease.

The English rules (which AFAIK were written by the designer) definitely do NOT read the way you describe the French rules. They say that only the cubes in the city the medic visits are cleared. This happens automatically if a cure for the disease is known; otherwise, it will cost one of the medic's actions to clear out the cubes.

I concur that accessment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
If the French rules read that way, they are surely a misprint. If the medic worked like that, he would be the most powerful role by a mile and would come close to trivializing any game someone picked him. The medic must remove all cubes of a cured disease from a city he visits for 0 actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuel B
France
Paris
flag msg tools
I'm just a villager! Believe me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Medic and cured disease (in French edition)
I can shed a light as I have the French edition.

The rules certainly not say plainly that the Medic eradicates a virus upon encountering it after it is cured.

BUT the translation is definitely ambiguous ; let me re-translate back from French : "...Furthermore, if the Medic is at any time in a city containing cubes of a cured disease, he can immediately remove all these cubes."
In French, that sentence can legitimately be interpreted either as "remove all the cubes from the city" or "remove all the cubes from the cured disease". The latter interpretation is slightly more immediate, since "these" (ces) generally means "the latter ones".

Actually, we played with the wrong rule for our first few games (and still managed to lose fairly frequently...), until the boosted ability appeared as unbalanced as it is to a new player, at which time I checked on BGG and found the right rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.