United States
Staten Island
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you receive 'change' for shields?

Ex: Lose 1 Shield; Discard a '3' and receive a '2' back?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fer moros
South Korea
Kwang-Ju
Gwangju
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Si!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lilian
France
Eaubonne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oui!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio
Spain
Granada y Oviedo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ja!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aye!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Kamiński
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tak
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Swan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hai!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slade
South Korea
Busan
Busan
flag msg tools
mercom wrote:

i'm going to necro this because i have a similar question but this thread doesn't quite answer it.

does this apply to all things? for example, let's say i have to pay a cost of 1 fighting symbol for something. can i discard, for instance, the legendary gimli card from rivendell, who has 2 fighting symbols, and get another shield card back?

would i just search the quest deck for another shield card? or would i just have to sacrifice my 2 symbol card and c'est la vie?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
robotco wrote:
mercom wrote:

i'm going to necro this because i have a similar question but this thread doesn't quite answer it.

does this apply to all things? for example, let's say i have to pay a cost of 1 fighting symbol for something. can i discard, for instance, the legendary gimli card from rivendell, who has 2 fighting symbols, and get another shield card back?

would i just search the quest deck for another shield card? or would i just have to sacrifice my 2 symbol card and c'est la vie?

You don't get change for cards played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Randor20 wrote:
You don't get change for cards played.

Yep.

The reason this applies to shields is simply because a number 3 shield represents 3 number 1 shields, so when you spend it you get change. The rules say you may use shields of higher value to replace multiple shields of lower value, so it makes sense that the converse applies too. Cards are "indivisible" so you don't get change for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slade
South Korea
Busan
Busan
flag msg tools
ok, i'm really confused now. why are shields given treatment like that over travelling, fighting, or friendship cards? why are the hiding cards given this weird rule when the others aren't?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robotco wrote:
...does this apply to all things? for example, let's say i have to pay a cost of 1 fighting symbol for something. can i discard, for instance, the legendary gimli card from rivendell, who has 2 fighting symbols, and get another shield card back?

This misunderstanding may be due to the shift in terminology from the older editions to the newer Silver Line edition. Just to be clear, the shields referred to here are the Gandalf Rune tokens, not the shield symbol depicting Hiding on the Quest cards (formerly Hobbit cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
rhinoceros wrote:
robotco wrote:
...does this apply to all things? for example, let's say i have to pay a cost of 1 fighting symbol for something. can i discard, for instance, the legendary gimli card from rivendell, who has 2 fighting symbols, and get another shield card back?

This misunderstanding may be due to the shift in terminology from the older editions to the newer Silver Line edition. Just to be clear, the shields referred to here are the Gandalf Rune tokens, not the shield symbol depicting Hiding on the Quest cards (formerly Hobbit cards).

(lightbulb goes on) Aha! Suddenly everything is clear!

Yes, I'd forgotten terms like this had changed in the Silver Line edition. How to sow confusion, by Fantasy Flight...

shake sauron (and of course the Silver Line doesn't even have that cool Sauron piece, so you won't recognise the last emoticon there...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slade
South Korea
Busan
Busan
flag msg tools
rhinoceros wrote:
robotco wrote:

this makes everything much clearer thanks. yeah, i have the new edition apparently. thanks for the reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.