Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would it be worth it? Since it's a game that requires long term commitment but can be done at a pretty sedate pace anyway, I'm thinking it can actually be played by two teams, not necessarily just between two players.

The advantage in playing it as teams is that people could join in or drop off at their convenience. I am of course thinking of the galactic game. But the province games might be played to work out the kinks of hosting a PBF game. I'm not really sure a star system game would be worth it, those could be posted as gaming sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Escobedo
United States
Rockville
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like fun to me.

Jesse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok that's one vote. Right now I like very much the Cyberboard version, that can be used to maintain the board sitrep and manage the card draws.

Though I'm not overly fond of the dice in Cyberboard, maybe it's just me, but I frequently see lots of 6s and 1s overall, or very streaky results of the same numbers, like three 2s in a row and then three 5s in a row, that kind of thing.

I need to check, but I'm sure Cyberboard creates a moderator game file, a rebel game file and an imperial player game file. That's one way each team can view what they're supposed to see (mostly this would be for the rebel player so he can't see what imperial military units are around, though in theory it also applies to the imperial player since he's not supposed to be sure what possessions the rebels are moving around).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill McKinley
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd be interested in signing up as well.

Cheers
Sir Harrok
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe A. Redjac
China
Beijing
Beijing
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Which rules are you going to use?

I bet not mine (as they are not finished) but I guess you want to include Nick Palmer's fix at least. Anything else though? Any clarifications you'd like to propose (e.g.: only ENEMY PDBs can be bombarded ... which excludes those of planets in rebellion as no one controls those PDBs). Just asking now already as you eventually will have to address those issues anyhow.

In case you get a game together, I might be sightly interested to play the Empire ... but only to reconfirm to myself again that the game is indeed badly broken. Oh - and of course (goes with out saying) that in that 'team' of mine, no one but me will be the imperial head honcho supreme and the rest of my 'team' be nothing more but slavering minions to do as told.

Thinking of it: Who needs minions anyhow. I am actually confident (deluded?) enough to put down all of you rebel scum singlehandedly like the rabid dogs you are!

Signed: Uwe A. Redjac, Ruler of the Galaxy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe A. Redjac
China
Beijing
Beijing
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
And before I forget it: Move this thread to the "Sessions" section.

There will be order in my galaxy.

UPDATE: Seems we are not allowed to post in the Sessions section until we have a session to report. Damn liberals!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
uweareuter wrote:
Thinking of it: Who needs minions anyhow. I am actually confident (deluded?) enough to put down all of you rebel scum singlehandedly like the rabid dogs you are!

Signed: Uwe A. Redjac, Ruler of the Galaxy

In a remote corner of the BGG cosmos, a small band of intrepid souls sit huddled around a portable communications device, reading this post from the Ruler of the Galaxy. His scorn is a painful barb to all assembled.

"There will be order in the galaxy huh?" says Derban, as he gazes across the huddled group at Zina Adora. "So it would seem" comments Zina. "Oh there will be order in the galaxy right enough," adds Derban, "only it will be our order not his; order based on fairness, justice and freedom.". The group all look at him with questioning eyes.

"How can we go against the mighty Redjac?" Kogus asks. "We have only played the full campaign game once, and that was moons ago. We are all much older now."

"We must use his own arrogance against him." said Dr. Sontag into the grave quiet.

"Hey guys," Adam Starlight chimes in, "I have a Freedom In The Galaxy Reference DVD I picked up from e-Bay. I could easily print out several copies of the rules."

Kogus looks into the distant night and sighs "But we don't have a copy of the game that is servicable."

Adam counters, "There's bound to be a copy floating about somewhere in the cosmos ... "

Zina stands and looks solemnly round the group. "Redjac is all powerful and his Imperials control everything and everyone. Can we hope to stand against him?"

Derban stands to join her. He takes her hand in his. "Hope springs eternal Princess," he states, "and it is time we stopped cowering and deal with this meglomaniac once and for all."

Derban clenches his fist and thrusts it skywards. "Redjac, wherever you are, we are coming for you!"

"We will need time to prepare ... there is much to learn and to playtest our strategy is essential" Dr Sontag counselled Derban. "We must find a few souls brave enough to help us prepare for this showdown."

"Agreed." Zina nodded.

"Agreed." Derban said flatly. "It will take some time and we will need some help, some friends somewhere in the BGG cosmos."

Derban picked up the PCD and looked around the group. "Let us post our own reply to Redjac."

With that the group sat together, huddled over the PCD as they prepared to post their challenge to the Ruler of the Galaxy.

Amid the viscious flashes of lightning and the ominous clap of thunder that announced the coming storm, our intrepid bunch of freedom lovers began to compose their challenge to the despicable Redjac, the all powerful Ruler of the galaxy.

Would they find a few like-minded souls to help them prepare for the conflict? Would the Imperial tongue turn out to be mere empty words? Would any of the Imperials out there, skulking in the cosmos, actually have the stomach for the fight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe A. Redjac
China
Beijing
Beijing
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Deep within the vaults of the Ministry of Eternal Justice ...
dougposkitt wrote:
"Hey guys," Adam Starlight chimes in, "I have a Freedom In The Galaxy Reference DVD I picked up from e-Bay. I could easily print out several copies of the rules."

Kogus looks into the distant night and sighs "But we don't have a copy of the game that is servicable." Adam counters, "There's bound to be a copy floating about somewhere in the cosmos ... "

Governor Kidu: "Let the rebel vessel escape. We can reconstruct the rules with our txt backup copies. They do not know yet that we also have already found the Cyberbox and the Galactic Guide. All that now stands between us and victory is a copy of the Mission Cards!!!"

Rules including Nick Palmer's Fix (word doc, PM me)
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/5a4ko0ce9j/FitG_R...
FitG Cyberbox v.2.1 (by Fritz Biggs)
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/5au6oakskk/FitG-C...
Galactic Guide (by Jay Richardson):
http://files.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/1c6kcwomrx/Gala...?

Updated March 8th 2010

(P.S.: Seen the latest Imperial Flyer Imperial Flyer over at the pbem section? Heard CSW has one too.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
uweareuter wrote:
Governor Kidu: "Intercept the rebel vessel. Secure a copy of the rules. They do not know yet that we have already found the Cyberbox and the Galactic Guide. Once we have all three pieces in our hands, our rule will be ... unchallenged!!!"

Derban finished reading the latest inter-galactic post, aimed the PCD at the rock-face and projected the message onto it so that all could see.

"Ooohhh!" Zina took a sharp intake of breath. "They must already have read our post challenging Redjac."

"Good." Derban smiled, tight lipped. His eyes were steely with determination. "Their rule will be challenged ... once and for all!"

Into the hushed silence of the group he added "Redjac wants to deal with Rebel scum? Let it be known ... he can deal with us!"

The storm lashed the night mercilessly as the small group posted their message across the wide open expanse of the BGG cosmos.

"To all freedom loving souls! To all those who would oppose the arrogance and tryanny of the Imperials! It matters not whether we will join with you, or you will join with us. What matters is that we find enough men and women with courage to take up arms in the name of freedom and a cause that is just; to join togther and wage a struggle against Redjac and his Imperial cronies until they, and Redjac himself, lay before us begging for mercy."

"As for mercy, we will show them the same mercy they have dished out to countless billions of souls who have fallen foul of the Empire since Redjac wrested the reins of power from that drug-fuelled dupe Coreguya."

"If anyone has already got a team togther then I offer our services in whatever way is asked of us. If no such group exists yet, then let us join together, work out the mechanics of how we will fight this war, and then proceed to rid the cosmos of this hideous scourge."

The small group stood as one and echoed Derban's challenge in unison.

Zina Adora stepped forth and swore an oath to the stars. "Be in no doubt, Thysa Kimbo, you are mine!"

Adam looked at her with mischief in his eyes. "I rather hoped I'd get to say that line."

The stern gaze of reproach from all present were aimed at him. He lowered his head and sheepishly whispered "I was only joking."

As so it was that this small group offered their service in the coming war against the Empire. In exile on an anonymous planet in the outer reaches of the BGG cosmos, they settled down to sit and wait, hoping that their call to arms would be heard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe A. Redjac
China
Beijing
Beijing
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Okay, actually I only wanted to ask for an electronic version of the rules. My battered hard copy is back in Germany and will remain there for the foreseeable future. I do have a txt scan of the rules, but I suspect it to be full of typos due to the direct hard-copy-to-txt-file scanning process.

As nice as these in-character filler texts are, let's not get them out of hand too much. Ideally this thread would be setting up a pbem game, not just writing fiction about one. There are better places for fan fiction (session reporting would be the one I am thinking of).

So where are we at?

COMPONENTS

We got the mapboard, counters and cards in the cyberbox:
http://loakes.game-host.org/limeyyankgames/games/gameboxes/F...

We got the player aids and galactic guide all combined neatly in Jay Richardson's pdf file:
http://files.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/1c6kcwomrx/Gala...?

By now we also got rules up on BGG, including Nick Palmer's fix and the Mission Cards:
www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/53461

Still lack the Mission Cars though.

PLAYERS & SIDES

If people put up with the fact that I do not tend to run the Imperials as a committee, then I will play the Empire.

Evil Main Imperial Player:
Uwe A. Redjac
China
Beijing
Beijing
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I can include any newbies in my 'team' as minions and hanger ons, but I am actually serious that they better not interfere with me winning this. At first this may sound off putting and boring, but actually I think it is a very good place for people who are interested to learn a bit about the game, but who do not really like to commit to it.

Anyone else who really likes to be seriously involved should join the Rebels. I highly doubt it, but maybe your combined effort can come up with a winning strategy. As said, I consider the game still broken, but it does not hurt to check.

Off the cuff I like to nominate Francisco as the main rebel player. With that I mean the guy who in the end will be responsible for the rebel side and play on even if no one else is there to keep things moving from that side. As much as run-by-committee sounds fun and very 'rebel', once it bogs down the game to a crawl it stops being fun.

Heroic Main Rebel Player:
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Remaining Players:

So far we then also have dougpostkitt, Sirharrok and if I got it right LordJesse (when you wrote "sounds like fun" you actually meant "want to play", correct?).

Which sides do you two rather tend to? Imperial (do as told by me, more of a bystander role) or Rebel (help Francisco to find a winning strategy)? Time zone wise LordJesse would fit Francisco better, Sirharrok with me and dougpostkitt falls in between, but more important than time zone I think is how much of an impact you want to have on the game.

EXPOSURE

I put out feelers on the pbem forum as well as over on csw to draw in a bit more attention.

Could you dougpostkitt come up with a good rebel teaser text for the pbem forum? I think your style will go over well there, just make sure your fiction also transports a message i.e. what kind of people should apply. You may want to confer with Francisco on what his requirements are. I’d say something about half the size of your posts here to get the point across.

Edit: No clue why, but I somehow forgot to include dougpostkitt in my reply. I blame the rebels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there Guys! Fan Fiction post looks awesome. You're right, for Play By Forum that would be quite good. I would say play with all the latest and greatest:

Avalon Hill included all rules errata (but they forgot to add the card errata!)

Nick Palmer's fixes.

Clarification: Only ENEMY controlled PDBs can be attacked. An up PDB in Rebellion or Rebellion Stopped doesn't count as enemy (However with Nick's fix this is less of an issue since the PDB is irrelevant to planetary control). I'm quite positive this is what the Rule book actually says, but a LOT of folks over at Consim played for years allowing the imperials to bombard uncontrolled PDBs effectively neutering a rebellion from orbit. At least with Nick's fixes the imperial player will need to put troops on the surface to stop a planet from going to Rebel Control.

I am under no illusions that toppling Emperor Palpatine Uwe will be easy. In fact it will likely be extremely difficult. But hey, you joined the rebellion and swallowed the whole shtick about adventure in far away lands and employment benefits. In any event my main objective will be fun. Uwe may take it seriously, but by playing fast & loose and having fun I hope we bore him to death and complacency, so he'll start making mistakes.

I would recommend for all die rolls to use an online server. I really dislike the cyberboard die. Don't trust it at all.

EDIT: I need a cool sounding Freedom in the Galaxy type name. In the great tradition of SPI I will use the following moniker as one of the rebel leaders:

Captain Arez Cisco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe A. Redjac
China
Beijing
Beijing
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rules & Dice
My minions at the Ministry of Crypto-Analysis haven’t been idle and reconstructed the rules from backup txt files the rebels forgot to delete when they stole the Reference DVD.

Well, actually I went thru my old files and apparently I must already have formatted my txt scans into a neat word document of the rules. I will probably have missed a few typos, but I think it will do. It is only 1.4 MB big ... over a hundred times smaller than doug kitt’s pdf file and I also incorporated Nick Palmer’s fix right into the rules just now.

While doing so I noticed Nick’s amendment of 23.2: the Domino Effect of putting planets into Rebellion may now put other Planets into Rebellion too! (OMG!) No idea why, but I never noticed that change before. That’s definitely a big advantage for the rebels and I now wonder if my victory is as sure as I thought it is. But I definitely want to try it out.

The same amendment of 23.2 btw also allows the Imperial player to put planets "out of Rebellion" as a Domino Effect from stopping a Rebellion. It is a bit hazy on the details though, but I did my best to incorporate this in my word doc nevertheless. Would be nice though if Francisco could have a look over it. I’ll try to upload it in the files section.

I am still lacking the Mission Cards though. They are not included in the Cyberbox and neither in Jay Richardson’s Galactic Guide but they include vital information about the rules. If someone could send me what the cards say would be much appreciated.

About the dice, do we actually need any online tools for that? As the Representative of Imperial Order my honour is naturally beyond any doubt and I surely can be trusted to not manipulate any dice results. Nothing even remotely the same can be said about you rebel ruff of course, but - Ha-ha! - it does not matter as your demise is immanent either way.

Admiral Barca:"I say we just roll dice the old fashioned way: With blood and steel!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha! Our evil overlord is now quaking in his imperial boots now that he's realized the Rebel propaganda machine isn't as wimpy as he thought it was. Our intrepid band believes in democracy and elections, we KNOW how to spread the word.

The Cyberboard box actually does have the action cards, BUT you need to hover over each card to read the text. I've played with the v2.1 in the files. I'll give the rules a revision and compare to the AH rules I have and let you know if I spot differences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe A. Redjac
China
Beijing
Beijing
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Muddle the words much, huh? :D
colmenarez wrote:
The Cyberboard box actually does have the action cards.
Fine, but I need the MISSION CARDS not the Action Cards. That you don't know the difference makes me again a lot more optimistic about my victory.
laugh

Sent you my rules scan just now. No need to go thru it all, I just need 23.2 and 23.4 checked and approved as I had to wing it a bit with Nick's fix there about the Domino Effect of Rebellions Stopped.

Governor Kidu: "Find me the Mission Cards now!!!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
uweareuter wrote:
Could you dougpostkitt come up with a good rebel teaser text for the pbem forum? I think your style will go over well there, just make sure your fiction also transports a message i.e. what kind of people should apply. You may want to confer with Francisco on what his requirements are. I’d say something about half the size of your posts here to get the point across.

Glad to do so ... I am clearly in receipt of the type of players you are looking for on your side ... would "obsequious, subservient lackeys with an interest in learning the game" be a good summing up? devil

I'll drop our esteemed rebel leader a line and get his requirements this evening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe A. Redjac
China
Beijing
Beijing
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dougposkitt wrote:
I am clearly in receipt of the type of players you are looking for on your side ... would "obsequious, subservient lackeys with an interest in learning the game" be a good summing up?
No need to be interested in learning anything. Ignorance is strongly preferred.

For further details check: http://rss.boardgamegeek.com/thread/500106/freedom-in-the-ga...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Escobedo
United States
Rockville
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe I would benefit from the wisdom of the glorious imperial leader. I would be happy to serve him.

Jesse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
uweareuter wrote:
colmenarez wrote:
The Cyberboard box actually does have the action cards.
Fine, but I need the MISSION CARDS not the Action Cards. That you don't know the difference makes me again a lot more optimistic about my victory.
laugh

Yeah, let that be a lesson children: Read thoroughly twice to understand a text. I'll send a doc with the Mission Cards shortly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe A. Redjac
China
Beijing
Beijing
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cast call
I tidied up a bit on the PbEM thread and clarified who is who there.

Does anyone have any news from Sirharrok?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill McKinley
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
All hail Emperor Redjac!
Given my relative lack of experience with Freedom in the Galaxy, I would like to sign up to be a minion of Emperor Redjac!

(and I do recognise that a galactic empire cannot be run by committee. My plan is to fawningly endorse all my leader's policies and ask intelligent, but still bootlicking, questions).

Regards
Sir Harrok
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The number of fawning, boot-licking lackey's signing up for the Empire will not dismay those true souls that will take up the rebel cause ... I too am inexperienced through a 20-year lay off, but would never consider laying down before the arrogance of Redjac and the shameful subservience of those who would join him ... so I urge those out there who have an interest in playing this game and opposing Redjac and his minions to quell their uncertainty and pledge their allegiance to that which is right!

The call to freedom echoes across the BGG cosmos ... which brave souls among you will hear it and respond?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so current tally is Emperor Reuter-er Redjack & his two lackeys, vs Doug and Me... no offense, but more imperial players than rebel players seems wrong

Hopefully the cry for freedom will be heard and more freedom fighters will join the flock!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe A. Redjac
China
Beijing
Beijing
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
colmenarez wrote:
... more imperial players than rebel players seems wrong.

They are not players. They are minions.

Ask them. Ask them if they want to be players. Ask them if they want your 'freedom'.

Imperial Knight Redjac: "The people do not want freedom Rayner. They want leadership. Leadership and safety in these unsteady times."
- to Rayner Derban, less than a year before the Lonica Conferences

Now enough of this pointless banter and back to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe A. Redjac
China
Beijing
Beijing
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Setting up the game

I finally compiled the rules (including Nick's Fix and the Mission Cards) into one word document and uploaded them in the files section. With all game materials now put into place and the main players appointed, I think we slowly should get the ball rolling.

We still may have to think about how to pace the game (some phases can be done pretty solitair, while others are pretty interactive) but while we figure this out we can as well already work on setting up the game.

The first step would be to deal the Planet Secrets and declare this to be a duty of Jesse Escobedo, Oraclo-Analyst of the Empire.

Emperor Coreguya: "What do Our oracles say?"

Signed: Uwe A. Redjac
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, the Empire decides to start the game while the rebel forces are still to muster huh?

What else can be expected of the cowardly Redjac? No matter ... I'm sure our esteemed rebel leader will go with what we've got!

I will volunteer to chronicle the game if everyone is OK with that ... if so, where's the best place to post the material?

I'm quite happy to chronicle it from both sides ... and will attempt to be true to the spirit and character of the Empire (if it has any of either) and the rebels (plenty of both, you can rest assured).

If the Empire would rather put forth their own propaganda chronicle then that's OK by me.

Could someone give me the link to the version of CB that the rest are using to play the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.