Subject: Mage Spawn Reference Sheet rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clifton Furr
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured it would be better to start a new thread instead of taking the other one off topic.

Here is the first complete Mage Spawn reference sheet. Once all are created in a set, I plan to compile them in a PDF form like ScottE did for the Hero Reference sheet.

Thoughts, or any changes that could/should be made?

This project will not happen over night, but I do plan to work on this as time allows.

I'm still learning how to work my way through Gimp, but I do find it to be rather fun to play with.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. I approve wholeheartedly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent!

My only suggestion would be to consolidate the header and the name, since having both (saying the same thing) is a little redundant. Both appear on the Hero sheet because that's how they originally looked when they were in the MKRealms database, but there's no need to retain that now.

Which one you keep will depend on how you lay out the rest of the document - the larger header text is easier to see at a glance, but the smaller text by the "name" box will take up less space in a list. Either way, make sure to keep the weak/medium/strong/unique (or *, **, ***) designation in the info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clifton Furr
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see your point, that is a bit redundant.

How about I leave the header, but remove the designation. Then rename the smaller Name field, and call that Unit Type:, designating Weak, Standard, Tough, Unique?

Would that work better?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clifton Furr
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is round 2. I also made this a Standard Unit, and added the change discussed before with removing the extra unit name, and adding a rank instead.

Lastly, what are your thoughts on the picture of the figure? I do not have pictures of the various ranks, but only one picture per figure. Most seem to be Yellow (weak).

Do you like the paintbrush to make his armor blue to signify the Standard unit, or is it too cheesy. I may not make the change if the color location of the figure is on the back, or difficult to make out to begin with.

Here is the new card:

Again, feel free to give me any feedback.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you need to bother with modifying the pictures for each rank. One generic image for all three levels should be fine, since the difference is just cosmetic and in many cases is extremely subtle (and/or not visible from the front). The stats on the dial are the important part, and you've got that covered.

If you still wanted to add a little rank-based color, the best place for that would be to color-code the text where rank is listed. You may even want to add the asterisks after the text as a secondary reference, since that's how it is indicated on the bases.

You may have to play with the yellow a little to get it to look right - even if you have to cheat it to a non-yellow color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clifton Furr
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the updated Gnoll Hunters in all 3 ranks. I changed the Ranks to show color and the Asterisk

As you were saying the Yellow for Weak does not show up as well as the others. I attempted to fill the back ground, but that washed it out even more. So actually on White it's not as bad as I thought. I am open to any other ideas to make the Yellow work, or a different color to show a Weak unit. I'll probably just use black for Unique.

Let me know if you have any other ideas or changes that could be made.

Thanks again for your suggestions and help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great!

For the yellow, try some of the other colors that are close to yellow - even if it ends up being a dark yellow or even more of a bronze-ish or tan color, people should know what it means.

Another thing to try, depending on the program you're using for the text, is to try playing with some of the font effects. MS Word has options to add a "shadow" or "embossed" effect, which basically just gives it a slight gray edge - it's not much, but is usually just enough to make it stand out from the white background. Most other text editors should have something comparable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clifton Furr
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried both options. First is the darker yellow, second is Yellow font with a Black outline. Let me know which you prefer. I like the idea of the black outline, but it wasn't as "clean" as I'd hoped.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaze100 wrote:
I tried both options. First is the darker yellow, second is Yellow font with a Black outline. Let me know which you prefer. I like the idea of the black outline, but it wasn't as "clean" as I'd hoped.

I like the first one better, but the outlined version might be worth saving for Uniques to make them stand out a little more if you can't find a good color for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clifton Furr
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished the the entire set of Mage spawn in the Dungeons set. Now my next step is to compile them in the same manner as the Hero Reference sheets. Any ideas as the best way to do this? Should I just import the JPG files into Word, re-size, position, and print to PDF?

ScottE, what did you do for the Hero Refs PDF?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clifton Furr
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The PDF file has been created, and Uploaded. Now just waiting for an admin to approve.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I see its now up. I just checked it out and very nice work. That must of taken quite a long time! There's so many Mage Spawn both in Dungeons and the original game its going to take forever to get it all done though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clifton Furr
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the compliments! I have seen so many resources that I've personally used, I wanted to give something back. I know it's going to take a long time to get everything created, but I'm just taking one set at a time. I am pretty close to finishing Pyramid and will upload it as soon as I finish. Dragon's Gate will come next to finish the Dungeon based sets. Then I may move on to other sets of Mage Knight as time allows.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clifton Furr
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just uploaded the Pyramid set. Just waiting on it to be approved.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see the Pyramid PDF is up. These are really great. Thanks again for making the ref cards. They will be extremely handy! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clifton Furr
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome, I'm so glad to hear that you like them.

I have just uploaded Dragon's Gate, it be available as soon as it's approved.

I am looking into what I should do next. I'm wondering if I should create reference sheets for the remaining Mage Spawn figures in the 1.0 line, or if I should just do all figures in a complete set? Maybe create a set of remaining Mage spawn for this group, then later create full sets and upload to the Mage Knight files area? (not the MK Dungeons File area) Just fishing to see where the interest lies.

For remaining Mage spawn, I think that there are 31 ranked units, 5 Unique, and 4 ranked Mounted units from Whirlwind, by my count. This does not include any LEs. Maybe even a set for the Shyft faction?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaze100 wrote:
You're welcome, I'm so glad to hear that you like them.

I have just uploaded Dragon's Gate, it be available as soon as it's approved.
Excellent work! I'm looking forward to the DG version too.

Quote:
I am looking into what I should do next. I'm wondering if I should create reference sheets for the remaining Mage Spawn figures in the 1.0 line, or if I should just do all figures in a complete set? Maybe create a set of remaining Mage spawn for this group, then later create full sets and upload to the Mage Knight files area? (not the MK Dungeons File area) Just fishing to see where the interest lies.

For remaining Mage spawn, I think that there are 31 ranked units, 5 Unique, and 4 ranked Mounted units from Whirlwind, by my count. This does not include any LEs. Maybe even a set for the Shyft faction?
The Mage Spawn in earlier non-dungeons sets are scattered all over the place, so you could probably combine them all into a single document assuming the filesize doesn't get too huge.

If you also planned to cover the MS from 2.0, that might be better as a seperate document because most of those use one or more of the newer abilities that were added in those later sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clifton Furr
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just submitted the remaining PDF file for the combined sets of Rebellion, Lancers, Unlimited, Whirlwind, Sinister, Minions, and Uprising.

Sorry this one took so long, but time was not on my side.

I cannot make promises yet, but I am looking at doing a set for the Shyft Faction if there is interest, and maybe a set for 2.0 Mage Spawn. I am not familiar at all with the stats/figures of 2.0 and do not own any 2.0 figures, so it is up in the air at this time.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic! Glad to hear you did the Mage Spawn from the other sets. For me I was mostly intersted in just the Mage Spawn but do own some Shyft, Orcs, Undead, and Solonavi for more interesting adventures. But I'm happy with just the Mage Spawn. As for 2.0, I have none and don't plan to buy any since they aren't really compatible with MKD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.