Popular Tags: [View All]
Sylvain Martel
Canada
Stoneham
Qc
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw that the rulebook linked on GMT website has 44 pages! How long is it to learn this game? Sucessors wasn't too bad, we managed to get non wargamers to read it, but 44 pages I guess I'll have to do an oral presentation instead.

Is it difficult to learn/teach the game?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In our first game, six people, it took us ten hours to do 3 turns. And we had all read the rules.

The basic rules are not complicated, but there are a lot of special cases. This forum has lots and lots of information regarding very special situations. Also, each power has its own targets and its own rules. You don't need to master them all, but they will appear during the game.

After some games, we can play six-seven turns in ten hours so usually the game is over, but most of it we play it using ACTS some time does not matter.

My advice would be:
1. have everyone read the rules before the first game. At least take a peek.
2. every player should read the special rules about his power.
3. solve special situations rolling a die. Check the forums another day, or you will just kill the game.
4. don't put too much time on diplomacy. No player will really know what to expect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kinwolf wrote:

Is it difficult to learn/teach the game?

thanks

Ed wrote up the 15 minute intro-to-the-rules presentation and published it in a GMT magazine a while back. I think you can also find his basic tips on his website: http://home.comcast.net/~ebeach/

As Marti mentioned, pre-decide who is playing what powers and have people just read their relevant sections. That really helps. For example I didn't bother learning the religious stuff until after my sixth game or so. I didn't need it playing England, France or the Ottomans. Also, just play the tournament scenario for your first play. That speeds up things big time. All of the early religious stuff has already been taken care of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bentley
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, 44 pages looks daunting, but there are a few things you can do to ease the pain.
1)Read only the initial paragraphs on your first go through to get the basic idea first.
2)Skip the Diplomacy section 'til the end. Rules are presented more or less in turn order, not necessarily in ease of comprehension.
3)All the other tips that Ed gives here on his helpful website.
http://home.comcast.net/~ebeach/tips.htm
4)Forums on this game are excellent, responsive and thankfully hospitable.
5)Enjoy, This game is well worth the time invested. I'm still reaping the dividends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bentley
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cathan wrote:
Ed wrote up the 15 minute intro-to-the-rules presentation and published it in a GMT magazine a while back.

Has that been posted anywhere? I'd like to look it over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That's not my name.
msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, people need to read the rules first. Everyone needs to read their specific sections, and to understand basically how the game works as far as movement and combat goes.

Somebody should have read the entire rulebook, but I second the notion of quickly resolving rules issues instead of going diving in the book or forums. Save that for later.

Also, something that helped me immensely while learning the games was reading ACTS logs, and trying to follow along with what happened (and why). It was like having a whole book of example games, all by people who know the rules. Even if you don't plan to play on ACTS, at least read some of the game openings to get a feel for how it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
44 pages is puny... try ASL. whistle

The rules are pretty straight forward. There is a bit of a learning curve at the beginning. I agree with each player learning their own special bit. Hapsburgs has the most fingers in different pies.

After learning the mechanics (which should be the first time you play), there's another learning curve on the strategy. That's where the fun really begins!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Derrick
United Kingdom
Coventry
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played this game 16 times and there are STILL the odd situation that arises where I am not entirely sure. And that goes for many other players considering the plethora of questions on BGG. The suggestion that you follow an ACTS game is an excellent idea.
The game is absolutely worth the time and effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Martel
Canada
Stoneham
Qc
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for the good tips.

I found a store that still had a copy, it should be on it's way soon, in the meantime I'll check the links and ACTS to get a good understanding of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.