Popular Tags: Trade_offer_ignored [+] [View All]
Ian Noble
United States
El Dorado Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've submitted multiple trade requests where users don't even respond, even though I see their last logged in date is during the trade time frame.

And then when someone accepts a trade, I don't hear anything from that user. This is getting frustrating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get a lot. I have to think about them. I forget about them. They expire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:

Ditto. I hate when that happens, yet it continues to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noble
United States
El Dorado Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Should I set the expire time to longer than 3 or 4 days, then?

What about not responding to messages after you accept a trade? That is probably more annoying that the trade expiring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Always send a GeekMail first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it might be better to start a trade conversation via GeekMail and then submit a trade request if your e-mail conversation seems to be going somewhere.

b
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get used to it. A little more than half of my trade offers simply expire out... most of the rest are declined. I have about a 10% success rate with my trades.

Frankly, I think if you aren't willing or able to respond to trade offers you shouldn't use the feature. It's very discouraging to people who put in the effort to find an equitabel deal.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
bwingrave wrote:
I think it might be better to start a trade conversation via GeekMail and then submit a trade request if your e-mail conversation seems to be going somewhere.

b

I read that a lot. Yet I don't see how declining a trade is any more effort than responding to a geekmail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rose
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that this is a problem that everyone deals with here on the geek. I know I have multiple times. However I seriously try my hardest to reply to any trade offers because I hate how others treat me by not responding.

I would recommend that you also send the person a geekmail and see if they reply that way first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Foster
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
I read that a lot. Yet I don't see how declining a trade is any more effort than responding to a geekmail.

I completely agree. My conclusion: some people have good social skills and some don't. Far too often, many players have not responded to either my geekmail OR trade proposal.

I have traded with many players who are friendly and provide good communication skills. I have a list of the other kind, those who can't be bothered to respond, and I won't contact them again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this has been discussed many times before, but speaking for myself, Geekmail is best. Also, I put things on trade not because I necessarily *want* to trade right away. More like I'm thinking about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
jaysachs wrote:

If they're the same amount of effort, and some people prefer a geekmail, then why not send a geekmail?

Here's why I prefer geekmail for the first part of it:

1. I can make several alternative offers / counter-offers in one transaction
2. I can include images
3. Offer doesn't expire
4. I can just click on the envelope above your avatar rather than going through the tedious trade system
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Crappy trade?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
whistler
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Knob Creek Manhattan
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ianoble wrote:
I've submitted multiple trade requests where users don't even respond, even though I see their last logged in date is during the trade time frame.

And then when someone accepts a trade, I don't hear anything from that user. This is getting frustrating.

Yeah, join the club: Expired Trades Rant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:

Fair enough. Maybe there should be a "hmm, maybe, let's extend this offer a week" option on a trade response. Some status like "under consideration".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:
Crappy trade?

No kidding. I was offered a copy of Modern Art, an in print game selling for under twenty bucks online, for Union Pacific, an out of print game selling for $75 to $100 at the time in the Geek Marktetplace.

The person making that offer was an idiot. I don't bother replying to idiots.

I am not suggesting that the original poster is making idiotic trade offers, simply pointing out what I consider a valid reason why someone would not respond to a trade request.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wink
United States
Eagleville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adamw wrote:
I think this has been discussed many times before, but speaking for myself, Geekmail is best. Also, I put things on trade not because I necessarily *want* to trade right away. More like I'm thinking about it.

I think this is the biggest issue . . . people post a trade listing merely to see if they'll get an offer that bowls them over. They're just fishing to see what kind of offers they'll get and what other games pop into their trade match search when they post a specific game for trade.

There really isn’t anything wrong with that, but how hard can it be to hit the decline button? To me, this feature makes the whole process easier than responding to a geekmail. Not only are people not responding to offers, but there posting reviews, geeklists, or otherwise being very active on the Geek. I've gotten to the point where I actually use geekmail to thank people for a swift decline.

So while it is frustrating, however the overwhelming majority of my trading experiences on the geek have been super-positive. There are some really great, conscientious and considerate gamers out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wink
United States
Eagleville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dannysland wrote:
Nobody is obligated to respond to unsolicited offers. Ever.

Otherwise, I would spend my days sending polite emails declining all those great deals on "\/I/\GR/\!!!"

If you are putting an item up for trade, than an offer to you is not unsolicited and going beyond that to compare it to spam is absurd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I Now?
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before you launch a trade request, do you:

Review the target's trade rating; not just look at the number, but read the feedback? Review the target's profile?

If you do, how would you react to my profile, where I specifically request geekmail contact first?

Given my profile request, when I receive trade proposals, I think to myself: this user either didn't perform (what I consider to be) some basic due diligence, or didn't care about what I preferred. In either case: not a particularly desirable trade partner, in my opinion.

I'm just one of an (apparently) great number here who prefer that first contact regarding a trade not be in the form of an "official" trade proposal. I can't say why others feel this way, but I find negotiation by geekmail "friendlier".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Foster
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Nobody is obligated to respond to unsolicited offers. Ever.

Otherwise, I would spend my days sending polite emails declining all those great deals on "\/I/\GR/\!!!"

If there is the slightest bit of logic in this I fail to see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
whistler
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Knob Creek Manhattan
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dannysland wrote:
BadLT wrote:
If you are putting an item up for trade, than an offer to you is not unsolicited...

I suggest you look up that word.

The act of listing an item for trade IS a request (solicitation) for trade offers from arbitrary users, just like putting leaflets on windshields, doorknobs, and mailboxes is a solicitation for business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
Something to look for: When did the user last login?

I've gone to propose a trade only to notice the user has not logged in since 2005.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
whistler
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Knob Creek Manhattan
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dannysland wrote:
Because I am no more obliged to respond to an unsolicited trade offer than I am an unsolicited French kiss on the street from a stranger. I am free to walk on without replying to such an offer, no matter how enticing it may seem to the person offering it.

Listing an item for trade is like wearing a sign requesting offers of a French kiss. If you wear the sign around your neck, you ARE soliciting. You are making a request/entreaty through your sign or listing. If you don't intend to solicit/request/entreat then take down your damn trade listing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
whistler
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Knob Creek Manhattan
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
overtheboard wrote:

I've gone to propose a trade only to notice the user has not logged in since 2005.

Yeah, have a look at Expired Trades Rant. That suggestion got me accused of "trade stalking". There are some real morons here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
native_son wrote:
overtheboard wrote:

Yeah, have a look at Expired Trades Rant. That suggestion got me accused of "trade stalking". There are some real morons here.

Your first mistake was taking Jarred seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.