Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspired by this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/491096/deck-building-101 I thought I would go through the thought processes of building my own deck and see if I can get some feedback from some of the brilliant minds here on the Geek. The first three cards:

OBAMA

1) HILLARY CLINTON - All Undecided voters in states where Clinton Democrats are the key demographic become Blue Voters. [NEVADA (5), NEW JERSEY (15), PENNSYLVANIA (21), WEST VIRGINIA (5)]

2) CRANK AND BANK - Discard any number of cards from your hand, gaining 1 Support in Economy in a different state for each card discarded.

3) "JUDGMENT TO LEAD" - Gain 1 Support in the minority issue in a single state and shift that state 1 space toward its minority issue.

Here we have three very different cards to choose from, which is hard because we don't know how our later draws are going to come out.

Hillary is one of the better demographic support cards, affecting two high value states. However, I hesitate to go the demographic route this early in my deck-building process.

Crank and Bank I just don't see as very useful, as the cost is so high. It is very situational, suited for when you are 1 support away from winning several states, and requires good card flow to offset its high cost.

I think I would pick "Judgment to Lead" as it can be a nice surprise play to suddenly not only shift the issue but also gain support in that issue at the same time.

McCAIN

1) "I KNOW HOW TO DO THAT, MY FRIENDS" - Gain 1 Support in the majority issue in a single state and shift that state 1 space toward its majority issue.

2) STAY ACCESSIBLE - Place this card in front of you. While it remains in play, you may choose which state is affected by each Breaking News event.

3) CHANGING THE SUBJECT - Shift a single state 2 spaces toward its minority issue.

McCain's choice is more clear-cut. I would not pass up a good media support card if I don't already have one, especially as McCain. Obama's special card can be used to remove a media support card from my deck, so ideally I want two. I would pick Stay Accessible here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Judgement to Lead, its awesome.

I'd take the Media control card for McCain. (I really like taking two media cards overall!). I like both the other cards though, so its a bit sad to lose them, especially Changing the Subject.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Round 2

OBAMA

Cards in deck: "JUDGMENT TO LEAD"

1) OPRAH-PALOOZA - Draw 2 cards and play one of them immediately, adding the other to your hand.

2) STAYING ON MESSAGE - Gain 1 Support in the majority issue in a single state and shift that state 1 space toward its majority issue.

3) MEET THE PRESS - Shift a single state 1 space toward either issue, then draw a card.

I like any card that allows you to draw more cards, as they essentially give you an extra turn. I'm either going to take Oprah-Palooza or Meet the Press here. Oprah-Palooza gives us 3 actions: 2 draws and a play. Meet the Press gives us two: shifting the issue and drawing a card. On the other hand, Oprah-Palooza only allows us to choose from two cards to play--the two we draw--so it is a little more restrictive. Still, I think the extra efficiency of actions is worth it.

McCAIN

Cards in deck: STAY ACCESSIBLE

1) P.U.M.A. - All Undecided Voters in states where Clinton Democrats are the key demographic become Red Voters. [NEVADA (5), NEW JERSEY (15), PENNSYLVANIA (21), WEST VIRGINIA (5)]

2) NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF EVANGELICALS - All Undecided Voters in states where Moderate Evangelicals are the key demographic become Red Voters [INDIANA (11), IOWA (7), MISSOURI (11), NORTH CAROLINA (15), WEST VIRGINIA (5)]

3) DON'T BLAME ME - Place this card in front of you. While it is in play, you do not need to roll the die for Going Negative.

None of these cards wow me. I know I said I like having two media support cards as McCain but Don't Blame Me is not my favourite one. Even though McCain has a lot of going negative cards, I think he often has better choices of cards to actually play. This leaves us with the two demographic cards. Of the two, P.U.M.A. affects the higher value states so I would choose it. I prefer to have cards that affect fewer states of higher value than more states of lower value, since it's hard to get all the states you want in play at the same time. After our states have been resolved, we can use the demographic cards as fodder for cards that require discards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Round 3

OBAMA

Cards in deck: "JUDGMENT TO LEAD", OPRAH-PALOOZA

1) AFL-CIO - All Undecided Voters in states where Reagan Democrats are the key demographic become Blue Voters. [MINNESOTA (10), MISSOURI (11), MONTANA (3), PENNSYLVANIA (21)]

2) ONLINE FUNDRAISING - Draw 3 cards.

3) COLIN POWELL - Gain 1 support in Defense in a single state, then draw a card.

I think it's safe to say Online Fundraising has to be our choice here. This is a card that belongs in every Obama deck, as it provides super flexibility and is very action-efficient.

McCAIN

Cards in deck: STAY ACCESSIBLE, P.U.M.A.

1) JOE LIEBERMAN - All Undecided Voters in states where Jewish Conservatives are the key demographic become Red Voters. [FLORIDA (27), NEW JERSEY (15)]

2) "A LEADER YOU CAN BELIEVE IN" - Gain 1 Support in Defense in a single state, then draw a card.

3) THE RIGHT TO LIFE - All Undecided Voters in states where Catholics are the key demographic become Red Voters. [MICHIGAN (17), NEW HAMPSHIRE (4), NEW MEXICO (5), OHIO (20)]

It seems McCain is being pushed down a very demographic-heavy path, unless we choose "A Leader..." here. Joe Lieberman is weak, only applying to 2 states. The Right to Life might be a reasonable choice, as it affects 2 valuable states, one of which starts with the appropriate demographic alignment. Honestly it is very tempting to build a demographic-based deck but I think the strongest and most versatile card here is "A Leader You Can Believe In"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Round 4

OBAMA

Cards in deck: "JUDGMENT TO LEAD," OPRAH-PALOOZA, ONLINE FUNDRAISING

1) RICK WARREN - All Undecided Voters in states where Moderate Evangelicals are the key demographic become Blue voters [INDIANA (11), IOWA (7), MISSOURI (11), NORTH CAROLINA (15), WEST VIRGINIA (5)]

2) ECONOMIC ROUNDTABLE - Gain 1 Support in Economy in a single state, then draw a card.

3) VISITING THE TROOPS - Gain 1 Support in Defense in a single state, then draw a card.

It seems we are starting to build a very draw-heavy deck for Obama, so I see no reason not to continue that trend. Since most of Obama's Campaigning cards affect the Economy, I am inclined to take Visiting the Troops here, especially with Colin Powell already in the discard pile.

McCAIN

Cards in deck: STAY ACCESSIBLE, P.U.M.A., "A LEADER YOU CAN BELIEVE IN"

1) "DRILL, BABY, DRILL" - Gain 1 Support in Economy in a single state, then draw a card.

2) A LIFETIME OF SERVICE - Gain 1 Support in Defense in a single state, then draw a card.

3) VIVA McCAIN! - All Undecided Voters in states where Latinos are the key demographic become Red Voters [COLORADO (9), FLORIDA (27), NEVADA (5), NEW MEXICO (5)]

Here I think I would take "Drill..." to complement "A Leader..." and to keep card flow. Viva McCain! is interesting, as it affects the highest value state in the game (Florida) but it seems too limited, especially as we haven't yet added any cards that allow us to change the key demographic.

Aside: I have just noticed that McCain's cards all feature larger font size than Obama's. I wonder if this was intentional?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you prefer to stick to your favoured issue then? It seems to me it would be useful to be able to attack your opponent's issue when you don't have the means to switch the issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My picks so far:

Obama:

1) Judgement to Lead (Minority support + Issue move)
2) Oprah (Awesomeness)
3) Online Fundraising (Awesomeness)
4) Visiting the Troops (Defense+Draw)

McCain:

1) Stay Accessible (Media)
2) Dont Blame Me (Media*)
3) A Leader you can Believe in (Defense+Draw)
4) Drill Baby Drill (Economy+Draw)

Analysis so far:

Obama has 3 awesome cards and I would be very happy with this. He has been drawing great cards in sets without anything else really necessary.

For McCain I would be gettign worried that I'm going to see Fundraisers come together or to come with a good Support+Issue shift card later.But I am happy to have 2 Media already without having given up anything great for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
QBert80 wrote:
Aside: I have just noticed that McCain's cards all feature larger font size than Obama's. I wonder if this was intentional?

He's older, so he needs bigger print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Round 5

OBAMA

Cards in deck: 'JUDGMENT TO LEAD," OPRAH-PALOOZA, ONLINE FUNDRAISING, VISITING THE TROOPS

1) "YES WE CAN" - Discard any number of cards from your hand, shifting a different state 1 space toward Economy for each card discarded.

2) "VOTE FOR CHANGE" - Gain 1 Support in Economy in a single state and alter the key demographic in that state.

3) "THE CHANGE WE NEED" - Shift a single state 2 spaces toward its minority issue.

It seems like this is the round for sound bytes for Obama. We don't yet have any Economy Campaigning cards, so "Yes We Can" is out. I'd probably pick "Vote for Change" here, as it seems the most versatile and could help us if we pick up some demographic cards later (we have only seen 3 thus far).

McCAIN

Cards in deck: STAY ACCESSIBLE, P.U.M.A., "A LEADER YOU CAN BELIEVE IN," "DRILL, BABY, DRILL"

1) PRIVATE FUNDRAISER - Draw 3 cards.

2) "RAISING TAXES ISN'T PATRIOTIC" - Discard 2 cards from your hand to gain 2 Support in Economy in a single state (then roll the Going Negative die).

3) BACK TO BAGHDAD - Gain 1 Support in Defense in a single state, then draw a card.

This one is easy. I think I'd need a very good reason to ever skip a fundraising card. Private Fundraiser it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Obama:

1) Judgement to Lead (Minority support + Issue move)
2) Oprah (Awesomeness)
3) Online Fundraising (Awesomeness)
4) Visiting the Troops (Defense+Draw)
5) The Change We Need (Issue shift x2)

McCain:

1) Stay Accessible (Media)
2) Dont Blame Me (Media*)
3) A Leader you can Believe in (Defense+Draw)
4) Drill Baby Drill (Economy+Draw)
5) Private Fundraiser (Awesomeness)

I love the 2xIssue shift cards, took that for Obama.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Round 6

OBAMA

Cards in deck: "JUDGMENT TO LEAD," OPRAH-PALOOZA, ONLINE FUNDRAISING, VISITING THE TROOPS, "VOTE FOR CHANGE"

1) ROCK THE VOTE - All Undecided Voters in states where Under-30 Voters are the key demographic become Blue Voters [INDIANA (11), OREGON (7), VIRGINIA (13), WASHINGTON (11)]

2) "McCAIN: OUT OF TOUCH, OUT OF IDEAS" - Discard 2 cards from your hand to gain 2 Support in Economy in a single state (then roll the Going Negative die).

3) WEEKEND AD BLITZ - Gain 1 Support in Economy in a single state and shift that state 1 space toward Economy.

Here we see our first Going Negative card for Obama. With good card flow the forced discard cards can be good but here I prefer the synergy of Weekend Ad Blitz.

McCAIN

Cards in deck: STAY ACCESSIBLE, P.U.M.A., "A LEADER YOU CAN BELIEVE IN," "DRILL, BABY, DRILL," PRIVATE FUNDRAISER

1) "LET'S NOT RAISE ANYBODY'S TAXES" - Gain 1 Support in Economy in a single state and alter the key demographic in that state.

2) JOE THE PLUMBER - Shift a single state 1 space toward either issue and alter the key demographic in that state.

3) STAY THE COURSE - Discard 1 card from your hand, then select any card from your discard pile and add it to your hand.

Given that neither of the other 2 cards are particularly strong nor fit with our deck, I'm inclined to go with McCain's special card here, Stay the Course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Round 7

OBAMA

Cards in Deck: "JUDGMENT TO LEAD," OPRAH-PALOOZA, ONLINE FUNDRAISING, VISITING THE TROOPS, "VOTE FOR CHANGE," WEEKEND AD BLITZ

1) THE AUDACITY OF HOPE - Discard any number of cards from your hand, then draw the same number of new cards, playing one of them immediately and adding the others to your hand.

2) MY.BARACKOBAMA.COM - Alter the key demographic in a single state, then draw a card.

3) NEIGHBORHOOD TEAM LEADERS - Alter the key demographic in a single state, then draw a card.

I think we need to pick Audacity of Hope here. This is such a good card for cycling through Obama's deck and getting to the cards that help us right now. The fact that we can play one of the new cards drawn immediately is just awesome. Besides, we don't have any demographic cards yet for the other choices to affect.

McCAIN

Cards in Deck: STAY ACCESSIBLE, P.U.M.A., "A LEADER YOU CAN BELIEVE IN," "DRILL, BABY, DRILL," PRIVATE FUNDRAISER, STAY THE COURSE

1) THE REAGAN ERA - All Undecided Voters in states where Reagan Democrats are the key demographic become Red Voters [MINNESOTA (10), MISSOURI (11), MONTANA (3), PENNSYLVANIA (21)]

2) TEACH FOR AMERICA - All Undecided Voters in states where College Graduates are the key demographic become Red Voters [MICHIGAN (17), NORTH CAROLINA (15), VIRGINIA (13)]

3) "WE DON'T HAVE TIME FOR ON-THE-JOB TRAINING" - Discard 2 cards from your hand to gain 2 Support in Defense in a single state (then roll the Going Negative die).

The Reagan Era seems useful, as it could help us win the second biggest state, Pennsylvania, and also applies to two mid-sized states. However, I like taking the Negative card here since we don't have one yet and it may allow us to scoop a big state with one card, which can be a very strong play. We can use P.U.M.A. as one of the discards once it has outlived its usefulness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Round 8

OBAMA

Cards in Deck: "JUDGMENT TO LEAD," OPRAH-PALOOZA, ONLINE FUNDRAISING, VISITING THE TROOPS, "VOTE FOR CHANGE," WEEKEND AD BLITZ, THE AUDACITY OF HOPE

1) "THE IRAQ WAR HAS MADE US LESS SAFE" - Gain 1 Support in Defense in a single state and alter the key demographic in that state.

2) "BOMB, BOMB IRAN" - Gain 1 Support in both Defense and Economy in a single state (then roll the Going Negative die).

3) WOMEN FOR OBAMA - All Undecided Voters in states where Women are the key demographic become Blue Voters [IOWA (7), MONTANA (3), OHIO (20), OREGON (7), WISCONSIN (10)]

I actually like Women for Obama here. I don't like "Bomb, Bomb Iran" because usually it is inefficient to try to win both Defense and Economy in a state--Obama will often be trying to win Economy and using his cards to push the issue indictators toward it. What's more, it's a Negative card, so it may undo its own work before McCain's next turn. "The Iraq War..." gives support in Defense. We already have a Defense support card, but most of Obama's cards help Economy. The way I see it, it's nice to have one Defense card in case of emergencies, but the majority of Obama's cards should affect Economy. Women for Obama affects 5 states--more than any other demographic card (I think)--and includes a big state, Ohio, and 4 states that start with Women as their key demographic. I am always happy to please the ladies, so Women for Obama it is.

McCAIN

Cards in Deck: STAY ACCESSIBLE, P.U.M.A., "A LEADER YOU CAN BELIEVE IN," "DRILL, BABY, DRILL," PRIVATE FUNDRAISER, STAY THE COURSE, "WE DON'T HAVE TIME FOR ON-THE-JOB TRAINING"

1) VOTER VAULT - Shift a single state 1 space toward either issue and alter the key demographic in that state.

2) DIRECT MAILING - Alter the key demographic in a single state, then draw a card.

3) "REFORM, PROSPERITY, PEACE." - Gain 1 Support in Economy in a single state and shift that state 1 space toward Economy.

I don't like "Reform..." here, we should be trying to shift the issues to Defense, not Economy. The other two are not terribly impressive either but I think I would go with Voter Vault for the issue shift ability, which can be key in the right situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Round 9

OBAMA

Cards in Deck: "JUDGMENT TO LEAD," OPRAH-PALOOZA, ONLINE FUNDRAISING, VISITING THE TROOPS, "VOTE FOR CHANGE," WEEKEND AD BLITZ, THE AUDACITY OF HOPE, WOMEN FOR OBAMA

1) "WELFARE TO WORK" - Gain 1 Support in Economy in a single state and shift that state 1 space toward Economy.

2) SI SE PUEDE! - All Undecided Voters in states where Latinos are the key demographic become Blue Voters. [COLORADO (9), FLORIDA (27), NEVADA (5), NEW MEXICO (5)]

3) RUNNING A CLEAN CAMPAIGN - Place this card in front of you. While it is in play, anyone Going Negative must roll the die twice and suffer the effect of both rolls. Discard any other Media Support cards which are already in play when this card is played.

This is a tough choice. We are nearly two thirds through our deck and only have 3 issue support cards, so I'm tempted to take "Welfare to Work." On the other hand, we have no Going Negative cards so Running a Clean Campaign would seem perfect. There will be more opportunity to take issue support cards, so I pick Running a Clean Campaign here.

McCAIN

Cards in Deck: STAY ACCESSIBLE, P.U.M.A., "A LEADER YOU CAN BELIEVE IN," "DRILL, BABY, DRILL," PRIVATE FUNDRAISER, STAY THE COURSE, "WE DON'T HAVE TIME FOR ON-THE-JOB TRAINING," VOTER VAULT

1) "JOIN OUR TEAM" - Gain 1 Support in Defense in a single state and shift that state 1 space toward Defense.

2) START KNOCKING ON DOORS - Alter the key demographic in a single state, then draw a card.

3) CBS EVENING NEWS - Shift a single state 1 space toward either issue, then draw a card.

I would pick "Join Our Team" here as McCain only has one other card that provides issue support in Defense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.