Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Young
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can an army retreat across a boarder when not at war.

Would the scouts combat card be an exception (if such a thing exsits)

We have been playing that you cant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
Ideas are bulletproof
badge
I think, therefore I am, I think
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a dumb question, and yes you can retreat across another nation's border while not at war.
However you can't move that army any further inside that nation's borders while not at war. If you move the unit again on your turn, it has to go back across the border, or otherwise stay where it is. It's in the rulebook on page 16.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They can retreat if they are attacked, but they must go through one round of battle first, then retreat.

The Scouts card can be used so they DO NOT have to do one round of battle (Before normal combat begins). Although, you cannot use the Scouts card if your defending in a Stronghold at Siege.

(Hopefully I have that right) IF not, someone will correct me.

Make sure you download the WotR FAQ for it too.

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Young
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answer

Interestingly enough the fact that we thought you could not has resulted in some interesting FP tactics in defending the DEW line.

I have a question about advancement on the political track questions.

If an army is attacked when does the political track get advanced

a before choosing to play cards or after the first round of combat is over or after the combat at all.

My current military strategy regarding the north is to retreat dale to the space behind it north of the woodland realm Making the shadow commit many more troops to securing the Dew than he normally would.

Ive actually retaken one of the DEW strongholds by recruiting in Carrak and combining with the retreating Dale forces. This allowed me enough time to dunk the ring in that game.

My rearward retreat strategy has been frustrating for my opponent on occasion and has even led to a FPMV when the forces took Mt Gundabad.

But I dont think these would have evolved if I had known I could retreat to the adjacent strongholds even though I wasnt at war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aammondd wrote:

I have a question about advancement on the political track questions.

If an army is attacked when does the political track get advanced

a before choosing to play cards or after the first round of combat is over or after the combat at all.

Since you can retreat across national boundries, what difference does it make when the political track gets moved up? I would say because the track get moved up due to an attack, it should be moved immediately upon the declaration of the attack. If a settlement is subsequently captured, it would then move up after this capture.

One other thing to note, an army can only retreat if the attacking army continues the attack. Don't let the defender retreat before you've said you're continuing the attack. Thus if you're afraid the army is going to retreat, simply don't continue the attack. This means that you have to use another die, but it's one way to keep Dale from retreating and maybe getting a free move. Of course, Scouts still works.

edit: speaking good english!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
Ideas are bulletproof
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
One other thing to note, an army can only retreat if the attacking army continues the attack. Don't let the defender retreat before you've said your continuing the attack. Thus if you're afraid the army is going to retreat, simply don't continue the attack. This means that you have to use another die, but it's one way to keep Dale from retreating and maybe getting a free move. Of course, Scouts still works.

Attacking only once per turn can indeed be quite useful for the Shadow Player at times. Somehow I had never thought of this option until last game I played, while baiting the SP to attack me in order to retreat into an empty Orthanc. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dagobal wrote:
while baiting the SP to attack me in order to retreat into an empty Orthanc. blush

Was the empty Orthanc still in SP control? Because if it was then you can't retreat there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
Ideas are bulletproof
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point. Actually I was in Westemnet, and SP attacked from Helm's Deep. I then retreated to Fords of Isen and used my last army die to move to Orthanc. But not sure if I would have remembered that rule. I obviously need to play more often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Tait
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Hipsu wrote:
dagobal wrote:
while baiting the SP to attack me in order to retreat into an empty Orthanc. :blush:

Was the empty Orthanc still in SP control? Because if it was then you can't retreat there.

My group also thought you could do this if there were no troops. Actually my wife has used this tactic on me a couple of times--it's been particularly annoying when I wanted to keep my Gondor army in Osgiliath and she was trying to move behind me from Pelargir to MT. She moves into Lossarnach--I attack--she retreats into MT with a single orc (this led to my besieging--and recapturing--MT, but it wasted precious dice). But I guess we should have known that wasn't possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.