United States
Whitehall
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mr. Axle can do all for you.
badge
Apologize again!
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night, in a 3-player game, we ran into an ambiguous situation. A player with the Hostess and Patio Seating got his 6th customer (which he seated at the bar). Time to adjust Word of Mouth, right? But another player argued that the hostess opens up another seat in the Dining Room, meaning that the Dining Room was not full. Since all of us were one customer away from filling up and it was the last round of a super-tight game, the Word of Mouth sequence was key.

Arguments heard:

1. The Hostess' station and bar are both clearly "inside" the restaurant, therefore they both count for as being part of the Dining Room.

2. Patio Seating is not considered the Dining Room and provides the exact same benefit as the Hostess, only double. Patio Seating is not considered part of the Dining Room, so Hostess seating does not count as part of the Dining Room. The bar only counts because it is necessary to have another table for the 3-player game.

I won't say which one I voted for, but I would like to hear what other BGGers think.

One other related issue:

The rules say, "Word of Mouth - As soon as the first restaurant has filled its dining room (or at the end of the round if none are full), the Word of Mouth indicator is adjusted based on the types of patrons present at that restaurant."

The problem: If none are full, which restaurant's patrons adjust the Word of Mouth? The one who got the last customer? The most popular - with ties going to whom?

We ended up going with the Hostess player getting the Word of Mouth modification. The game ended up being a tie, with the victory going to the top dog in Profit (the highest chit on Word of Mouth).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lam
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
The Hostess shouldn't affect the dining room being "full" in my view. The dining room filling is a measure of popularity. At least that was the intention. The restaurant which first fills up drives the neighborhood's Word of Mouth ratings. The fact that a Hostess can squeeze in an extra patron shouldn't mean the dining room is less full.

If no restaurant is full by the end of a day, then the most full restaurant is used for Word of Mouth adjustments. If there is a tie, then the restaurant that first got their last customer should be judged the most popular. (They were busier for a longer period of time.)

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
I explain the Hostess seating as adding a "Kitchen Table", as some restaurants have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Horne
United States
Whitehall
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mr. Axle can do all for you.
badge
Apologize again!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. Thanks for the clarification, Greg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.