Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the Fellowship player moves into a hex with a Nazgul and is spotted, can the Nazgul initiate combat then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tweakston
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
If the fellowship characters stop in that hex, then yes; otherwise no.

Individual Combat is initiated at the end of movement. Fellowship characters remain spotted if they stay in the same province in which they were spotted. If they cross a boundary, they become not spotted. So on Sauron's turn, if the spotted characters are still in the same province, the Nazgul can move to the characters' hex and initiate Individual Combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Fredericks
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hum, this is confusing. Under F.6 MOVEMENT INTERRUPTIONS of the WOTR rules version 2, the following is stated:
Quote:
Similarly, whenever a Character is
moved into a hex containing one or more Nazgûl, his movement is
interrupted while the Dark Power Player conducts a Search (if he
elects to do so, see Section J.2, Search Procedure During the
Fellowship Player-Turn). After any searches and combats are
completed the unit may complete its movement

This seems to imply that the Nazgûl could initiate combat! What do you think?

It would also contredict the following posted by an other user:
Quote:
Another question, I know that there's no combat during the search phase. But when the Fellowship turn begins, if there was a succesful search by the Nazgul, and there are 3 of them in the same hex as (some of) the Fellowship members, can the Nazgul DECLARE combat immediately before movement ad then resolve it after the movement? The rules on combat say "WHENEVER two enemy characters are in the same hex, at the option of either player, Individual combat can be initiated at the end of all movement"... something like that, I don't have the rules with me right now.

Otherwise, the Fellowship members would exit the hex (and almost all the time exit the province, thus hiding again), making the Nazgul search during the Search phase a total waste of Shadow points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tweakston
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
F.6
I agree, it is confusing.

Here is more of F.6:

F.6 Movement "Interruptions": Servants of Sauron and the Nazgul
Whenever a Character is moved into a hex containing a Servant of Sauron symbol (an Eye), his movement may be interrupted while the Fellowship Player determines whether or not a Servant of Sauron is Present and if so, while Individual Combat is resolved...Similarly, whenever a Character is moved in to a hex containing one or more Nazgul, his movement is interrupted while the Dark Power Player conducts a Search....

Our versions differ at this point, mine says:

He can then move on.

yours says:

After any searches and combats are completed the unit may complete its movement.

I believe both versions are consistent. If Frodo moves through Moria and finds a Balrog, he must fight it before moving on. If he then moves through a Nazgul he stops for a search. Whether or not Frodo is spotted by the searching Nazgul, he may complete his move. Only when it is Dark's turn, the Nazgul can move to the spotted Frodo and initiate combat. A more precise rule sentence would be:

After any searches by Nazgul or Armies and any combats with Servants of Sauron are completed, the unit may complete its movement.

Here is rule G:

G. Individual Combat
Whenever Characters controlled by opposing Players are present in the same hex during a Player-Turn, at the option of either Player, Individual Combat may be initiated after all movement of Characters has been completed.

Its screwy. It first says "whenever during a turn" then says "after all movement completed".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tweakston
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
G. Individual Combat
G should be interpretted this way:

IF
opposing characters are in the same hex
AND
its during a player turn
AND
all characters movement is completed
THEN
either player can initiate individual combat.

There is the exception for Fellowship characters must be spotted for Dark to initiate. Further down there are two exceptions: combat with Servants of Sauron and Attempts to seize the Ring. There is no exception for Nazgul after a successful search.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Fredericks
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ronald,

There rules are very confusing. I reread them three times and I think your interpretation is accurate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Johnson
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, I'll second Ron's interpretation. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland NICOLAS
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello,

there is a little problem in your answer.

Richard Berg wrote in Moves 40 the following :

I . The results of a Search (that. is, being
Spotted) remain in effect until the end of
the Game-Turn in which the Search occurred.
(Thus, no more hiding in the next
county.)

Hope it will help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.