Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Gaming theme nights? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M R
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was thinking it would be fun to host a monthly theme night, where I invite my friends over to watch a DVD, eat dinner, drink some booze, and play a game, all of which follow a certain theme.

For instance, we could watch "A Chinese Ghost Story," eat Chinese food, drink rice wine, and play Ghost Stories.

What else would work for this? Most of the games I'm thinking of are missing one element; one can drink mead when playing Lord of the Rings, but what gets served for dinner and snacks?

I'd love to hear more suggestions for board games, dinner and snacks, drinks, and movies that are thematically linked.
2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fury of Dracula (second edition), Bram Stoker's Dracula, blood soup for The Count and pizza with LOTS of garlic topping for the hunters.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a couple here:
http://cocktailsofcatan.com/

Which is a website of which I am a theoretical contributor though i have not yet contributed...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M R
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gruumsh wrote:
Fury of Dracula (second edition), Bram Stoker's Dracula, blood soup for The Count and pizza with LOTS of garlic topping for the hunters.


And sangria to drink!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mister_Matthew wrote:
I was thinking it would be fun to host a monthly theme night, where I invite my friends over to watch a DVD, eat dinner, drink some booze, and play a game, all of which follow a certain theme.

For instance, we could watch "A Chinese Ghost Story," eat Chinese food, drink rice wine, and play Ghost Stories.

What else would work for this? Most of the games I'm thinking of are missing one element; one can drink mead when playing Lord of the Rings, but what gets served for dinner and snacks?

I'd love to hear more suggestions for board games, dinner and snacks, drinks, and movies that are thematically linked.


Italian/Roman themed is easy...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M R
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rvinyard wrote:
Italian/Roman themed is easy...


Which Italian dishes and movies would you match with which games? I'd love to hear it!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mister_Matthew wrote:
rvinyard wrote:
Italian/Roman themed is easy...


Which Italian dishes and movies would you match with which games? I'd love to hear it!


We've done Italian, Japanese, Horror, et. al. We generally make a whole day of it. We've never done a Medieval... but we should.

In the latest Italian day (weekend after Labor Day) everyone brought various dishes. The two dishes we brought were meatballs in a rosemary red sauce and roasted peppers. I cooked some ground Italian sausage and mixed it with garlic, onions and cream cheese. Then stuffed the mix into small red, orange and yellow peppers (about the size of jalapenos) with the mixed and wrapped them in thinly sliced bacon. Then we grilled them while we were playing.

As for the games, we mostly played lighter ones. Colosseum was a hit, but many years ago we actually managed a game of The Republic of Rome (at the time it was the original Avalon Hill version, but Valley Games has recently made a beautiful reprint).

Another hit was Arena Maximus. We also played Mare Nostrum but it wasn't very popular... I think the food + alcohol was starting to kick in and it was too heavy at that point in the evening.

We didn't do movies with the Italian day, but HBO's Rome wouldn't be bad... especially if you did decide to play The Republic of Rome or Conquest of the Empire.

Of course there are a plethora of Roman themed movies out there but thematically Gladiator and Rome would probably be at the top of my lists. I've also heard the 2002 movie Julius Caesar with Richard Harris is pretty good.

As for alcohol... lots of choices... especially in wine...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T R

Utah
msg tools
mb
You could get all gussied up in 20's attire. Watch the semi-new Call of Cthulhu movie. It's done as an old silent movie in black and white.

Once the movie is over you could bust out the sugar cubes and prepare some absinthe. While cocktails are being prepared setup Arkham Horror. And say hello to madness
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Arabian Night!

Tales of the Arabian Nights for the game. The choice of arabian themed movies should be good (I'm thinking any of the Sinbad movies). Food selection should be easy to do as well.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.