Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Catan Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: A very stupid question(s) about buying stuff and discarding action cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Olli Hietanen
Finland
flag msg tools
Hi,

I just played my first game of the Catan Card game, and I found the rulebook rather confusing. Here's a few questions that came up:

a) How many "things" can you buy in your turn? The rulebook does not mention whether you can buy only 1 "thing" or as many as you can afford (roads, villages, monasteries etc.). Especially later in the game you could afford more than just one "thing" at a time.

b) Similarly, how many action cards can you play in your turn (if you happen to have many of them)?

c) What happens to the used action cards (black knights etc.)? The rulebook does not mention this either. Do they go back to the one of the five piles?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doobermite
United States
Chester County
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can build as much as you want.
You can play as many action cards as you want.
All played action cards (knights, etc.) are discarded.

This is one of the best card games ever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
Specifically, action cards are put into the discard pile. They're usually the only thing in the discard pile, since surplus cards in hand due to Arsonist etc are buried at the bottom of an expansion pile.

There can occasionally be other cards in the discard pile if they specifically say to discard them (such as Robber Baron's Castle once the opponent gets 4+ strength), if they use themselves up (such as the Knight who can act as a Merchant for 1 gold), or if you sacrifice a building to make room for another one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Hietanen
Finland
flag msg tools
Ok, thanks for the advice! I'm looking forward to my next session of the Catan Card game this weekend

The rulebook was a Finnish version, I think they may have lost something in the translation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Tea
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
It may have been overlooked I certainly overlooked many of the rules on my first game and still read over it just in case I missed anything else!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomas Lesonen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have one more question about discarding the action cards: The Year End card says the discard pile and chance card pile should be reshuffled. How should I do this with the discard pile? Do I split the discard pile into five decks and shuffle them with the five development card piles or what?

Excuse me for my english, not my mother-tongue! Hopefully I made myself clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Weber
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jalmardo wrote:
The Year End card says the discard pile and chance card pile should be reshuffled.

Not true. The Year End card tells you only to reshuffle the event deck (chance card pile). Just take all event cards (used and unused) and shuffle them together into a new event deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Frazier
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My edition says that used events are placed at the bottom of the event deck, because of this I treat all "discards" in a similar fashion and we place them at the bottom of whichever deck we choose. I did not see "discard deck" anywhere in the rules...but I should probably look again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.