Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ender
Estonia
Tallinn
Estonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I come to think about it, I don't even know why I bought this game. I'm not a big fan of adventure games and usually I buy games that I like. I suppose I thought about "expanding my collection" or something else that leads to suffering and much toil. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

I cannot say I'm a big fan of Munchkin, although I do appreciate it for what it is (and on some level find it fun to play with the right kind of people and the right kind of mood (drunk)).
But the Quest... Oh, the quest. I honestly cannot say that I've ever felt this bored throughout my entire gaming life. And the worst thing is - I dont' even know, why that is.

It looks decent - check.
It has good components - check.
It is a dungeon crawl - check, check.
It has resemblances to cliche humour - check, check, CHECK.

So where the hell is the problem? I mean, we are talking about the game for which people by 10 bucks worth of dice to count levels, so it must be good.

But it's not.

1) The moves take excrutiatingly long time. Or, not even that - there is just so much downtime that it hurts.
2) No rules, only exceptions. It seems to me that the game is made of small "nuances", so the already long turns take even more time.
3) Why can't we just count our weapons/armor? Why do we need to roll and calculate and look for icons and colours and sacrifice a goat to see which way its horns turn at twilight to determine whether I beat that Potted Plant or not? It's boring, boring and annoying.
4) Did I mention downtime?

And to dot the i...

5) It is not the complete game. In order to make it remotely playable, you much purchase the expansion, which altogether makes the game worth an FFG heavyweight. Which it most certainly is not.
The main fun in Munchkin is screwing other players (and if it for you is not, then please try to explain why the hell do you play this at all). Only all the cool Curses and other interactive cards are cleverly located in the expansion box. So basically what you do is stroll randomly through the dungeon, picking up your +2s and +3s which don't determine anything since you get to roll the die anyhow and the epic final battle is nothing but epic, since everybody let's you win in order to get something else on the table.

It was a huge disappointment and unless you're ready to spend yet more money to get the expansion (which, I'm not saying, necessarily makes anything better), don't get it at all. Sure it's nice to have on your shelf since all the guests will ask about it (somehow Munchkin theme attracts attention), but there are loads of other things to do with that money.

Or, waste the expansion money on beer. Works better than the actual expansion, if you wish to make the game playable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Starkweather-Jones
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game does take a while, I admit. It is quite pretty though

I have enjoyed playing it with my wife and 7 year boy. We enjoy playing regular Munchkin Blender better, but this was a nice change.

Back to the Cards. . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chapman
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
siretsch wrote:
5) It is not the complete game. In order to make it remotely playable, you much purchase the expansion, which altogether makes the game worth an FFG heavyweight. Which it most certainly is not.
The main fun in Munchkin is screwing other players (and if it for you is not, then please try to explain why the hell do you play this at all). Only all the cool Curses and other interactive cards are cleverly located in the expansion box. So basically what you do is stroll randomly through the dungeon, picking up your +2s and +3s which don't determine anything since you get to roll the die anyhow and the epic final battle is nothing but epic, since everybody let's you win in order to get something else on the table.

While you're certainly welcome to your opinion, I must call out this point on a factual basis. The core Munchkin Quest does include a variety of curses and "screw your buddy" cards. Nearly 1 in 5 cards in the Deus Ex Munchkin deck are curses, and another 1 in 5 are cards to power up, power down, or otherwise mess with a monster in combat.

Munchkin -- and by extension, Munchkin Quest -- is not for everyone, and that's fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 and 4 applied to my first game. the game took like 4 hours, long for a game of this calibur/type, and I must say I was immensely bored while it wasnt my turn

1 and 4 can be reduced with more play through / better knowledge of the rules though ...BUT

2 destroys that. So many exceptions. Okay that's fine because its in the spirit of the game, and it works for its target audience.

3 annoys me greatly though. Reeks of inefficient/inelegant design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.