Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Corey
United States
Cedar City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I know this is probably a terrible choice for a first wargame but I've been sold on the epic reviews and all the help files BGG members have made. I m studying hard and learning all the ins and outs and have played with it a little but I still have a long way to go. Just wanted to say thanks to all the people out there supporting us newbies.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hmm...I was going to say tough choice for a first wargame...however...
It might actually work out better to not have a wargame background.

Will be interested to see how you like it.
Don't get frustrated and feel free to ask questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good grief, if you decide to take up mountain climbing, I'd suggest you not start with Mt. Everest!

Seriously, if you end up not liking the game or finding it is too much, you have a lot of company. There are many other great games that would be better suited to new gamers than this one, but to each his own. I could come up with half a dozen other recommendations but I'm also interested in hearing your experience with this one.

You won't know til you try! Good luck, godspeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a tough choice for a first wargame, since in addition to the usual tactics/strategy knowledge that would come in handy, you really need to know about how an army company goes about its business, which is something that even a lot of seasoned wargamers lack, like myself. I would *highly* recommend heading over to the GMT site and check out the vassal/ventrilo sessions that are available for download.

And to Steve-Garryowen!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hull
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the quick start guide, and the illustrated example of play. It is a learning experience and relax and enjoy playing, do not get too wrapped up if you make a mistake, everyone does regardless of wargaming experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Corey
United States
Cedar City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The quick start guide has helped out the most in understanding the mechanics of the game. I've also studied the examples of play and the re-worked rule books which have also made understanding it a bit easier. I am excited about delving in to all of this and hope to get some time within the week to start out the first mission. As for beginner games I did look into some of those but I wanted a solitaire game with a great narrative and something that wasn't just moving guys around and rolling dice (although I am sure some of the suggestions you guys would make go above and beyond that). I'll keep posting updates on how it is going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have time and patience? I'm not being as smart-assed as that sounds. FoF seems to be a game that requires long periods of gaming to fully grasp. Between work, child, workouts, and other commitments, it has been hard for me to devote the time to it. When I was younger and had fewer commitments, I think FoF would have been a great challenge. As they say, war is really for younger men.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madDdog67 wrote:
This is a tough choice for a first wargame, since in addition to the usual tactics/strategy knowledge that would come in handy, you really need to know about how an army company goes about its business, which is something that even a lot of seasoned wargamers lack, like myself. I would *highly* recommend heading over to the GMT site and check out the vassal/ventrilo sessions that are available for download.

And to Steve-Garryowen!

I have no idea how an army company goes about its business. And I even had to learn the English terms. My wargame experience was Empires in Arms and maybe you can count some computer games, all of which is quite different and tells you nothing about command hierarchies and procedures in the US army. But it was not hard to learn FoF. Yes, I have made some rules mistakes, but the game went quite well, although it was slow.

Go to the files section and check out the quick start guide!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bacchus
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted in a recommendation thread here soliciting help on choosing my "next" solo wargame.

Technically, my first wargame was WTID (I've played Twilight Struggle but I'm not willing to open up that can of worms). How does FoF compare?

Sorry if this appears to be a threadjack, but I didn't thing my question would be so off-topic to justify a new thread on it.

EDIT - BGG editor doesn't like me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.