Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ender
Estonia
Tallinn
Estonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let it be said that I almost always refuse to play co-op games (except for Pandemic, perhaps, in small doses).
Let it also be said that after the many tries that I gave Arkham Horror, I was so traumatized that I thought I would thereon never even peek towards a game that has either "cooperation", "fantasy theme" or, well, creatures of the night.

That said - I absolutely love Fury of Dracula. I have not once refused to play it and I have enjoyed it each time.

The idea of the game is quite simple - the year is 1898 and Dracula is tripping around Europe, wreaking havoc and spawning evil vampire minions. The four hunters (who can be controlled by 1-4 players, works equally well with all combinations) try to catch him and, well, kill him.
The four Hunters work together for a common cause - they move their miniatures around on the map of Europe, trying to find the monster's trail and carefully plan the best way of catching him. Dracula's trail is hidden as he places location cards on an assigned track on the board and laughs ominously as he listens to the Lead Dick present his solid theory on his location (which, obviously, is completely false).

The game is so very elegantly produced - everything from the map to the tokens to the cards - that it's an experience on its own. The gameplay heavily supports the theme - the phases are divided into turns based on the time of day, Dracula being considerably stronger at night. It is extremely easy to teach it to new players, as most of the play happens as a metagame, having little or nothing to do with the actual mechanics.

Some of the most notable elements of the game include:
- the drawing of Event cards. Namely, there is only one Event Deck with both Hunter and Dracula cards. Dracula doesn't draw cards to his hand (with exceptions), instead, every time a Hunter decides to draw an Event card, he won't know whether it will be his or Dracula's since the cards are being drawn from the bottom of the deck. This adds a great element to gameplay, also tickles group mechanics extremely well.

-the combat tactics. In my opinion, the combat tactics are one of the best I have seen in a boardgame. In principle, it works like this: both sides secretly pick an action they wish to perform. Let's say I'm Dracula and I think I'll try to bite Van Helsing with my Fangs. He wishes to shoot me with a Rifle. So, we both roll a die to determine which one of us manages to be swifter and more successful in their action. Let's say I won by rolling a 5 - then the combat card will be checked for what happens if he fails at shooting me and I manage to Fang him. Pretty realistic, in my opinion.

-Dracula's "traps". Every location he has been in gets a special "trap" on it, so when a Hunter gets to a city he has been in, the Location card will be revealed on Dracula's trail and whichever encounter token was on the card shall be resolved. There are three encounters which "ripen" in case it takes too long for the Hunters to find the location - in which case Dracula is awarded victory points, free encounters or event cards.

There is high player interaction, great aesthetic pleasure and a lot of strategic planning which makes the game one of my favourites, one I'll never turn down.
I've been Dracula with only one blood drop left and the Hunters on my trail, managing to escape through an excessive use of my special powers and mere faith;
I've been a Hunter, destroying Dracula within the first 20 minutes;
I've seen the Lead Dick perform a speech on how Dracula is definitely in Milan since it's the only possible location for him, while I was safely tucked in a harbour on the coast of the Black Sea.

If that game would define coops, I'd play them.

Oh and all of you who compare Fury of Dracula to Arkham Horror - don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony D.
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Nothing like family, friends and games...and music and beer...and pizza and bean dip...and actually having time to play games...
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review of one of my favorite games. Makes me want to play again, and soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob McMurray
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely agree (in our world we say "Fury never disappoints") in all ways but one. We don't have the "Lead Dick" problem; I know since I would be the Lead Dick if we had one. Instead, since we are all strong players, each player is expected to play their character themselves and is responsible for their own decisions. It forces the teamwork to a higher level, more like working together "in real life", and makes this game even better.

Regardless, I appreciate the timing of such a positive review when it seems, even in our world of almost 100 plays of Fury, that Fury is losing some of its prominence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Williams
United States
Middle River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the original version put out by Games Workshop back in the 80's. You remember GW in the 80's? Back when they published a ton more than just crap, oops, I mean 40k. Sorry about that- subject for another rant...

Anyway, this version seems very much like the original and I agree that your review is right on. It's a very well done game, with great mechanics and feel. The only other co-op game I've enjoyed such is Scotland Yard.

Great review of (still) a great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
william mcneil
Canada
flag msg tools
sadly i disagree i hate this game its my least fav of all time, why you ask well first dracula never wins i have played this 4 times and he never wins
after visiting 10-20 cites i have gone through all the items and get two stakes and dracula takes some damage for any move he makes vs stake so there is no way you can lose but that isnt really my biggest problem with the game
my biggest problem is that when ever we play this game one of the ppl playing has a very strong personality so he becomes the leader of the group of hunters and tells everyone what to do and so the game becomes very boring with some one just telling you what to do every turn so i avoid this game whenever i can glad to hear you like it tho :P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Serebryakov
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iamgenestarwind wrote:
sadly i disagree i hate this game its my least fav of all time, why you ask well first dracula never wins i have played this 4 times and he never wins
after visiting 10-20 cites i have gone through all the items and get two stakes and dracula takes some damage for any move he makes vs stake so there is no way you can lose but that isnt really my biggest problem with the game
my biggest problem is that when ever we play this game one of the ppl playing has a very strong personality so he becomes the leader of the group of hunters and tells everyone what to do and so the game becomes very boring with some one just telling you what to do every turn so i avoid this game whenever i can glad to hear you like it tho

Jesus... Have you ever heard of the things called punctuation marks? It feels like you just ranting away...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryan wills
United States
Wonder Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iamgenestarwind wrote:

4 whole times huh? And 4 extrapolates to never!

Game 1 is usually a run through to help understand how the components and game play together.

Game 2 is normally a rules fixer

Game 3 is your first real thought about strategy and winning the game so game 4 should be your first game where everything makes sense together and you have a solid idea of what is happening. Making a value judgment at this stage is just too early. IMHO.

Bryan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender
Estonia
Tallinn
Estonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is especially true regarding playing Dracula. If Dracula is being played by a skilled player, it is trully enjoyable both for the hunters and the mighty vampire lord himself. Whenever I have played Dracula, the most enjoyable moments have been escaping the hunters by overplaying them at a tight spot, having only two drops of blood left. And I don't mean by that infamous card, no. The juiciest bits of the game occur when everybody knows (at least on some level) where you are and you manage to conjure up a plan so good you will actually get away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Would
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YankeeGrunt wrote:
I have the original version put out by Games Workshop back in the 80's. You remember GW in the 80's? Back when they published a ton more than just crap, oops, I mean 40k. Sorry about that- subject for another rant...

Anyway, this version seems very much like the original and I agree that your review is right on. It's a very well done game, with great mechanics and feel. The only other co-op game I've enjoyed such is Scotland Yard.

Great review of (still) a great game!

Up until the release of the new one I was still playing the original quite regularly.

We played the new one, liked it, but was not convinced it was much better than the old one.

Then my friend came round, and I had lent the new one to someone to try so we dug out the old game. And boy, was it slooooow. We realised what a fantastic job FFG had done of bringing the game up to date with fresh mechanisms.

So I would say get it, even if you have the old one. It is an excellent update of an excellent game.

And William, if that player takes over the sessions so much it would suggest he is the problem rather than the games you play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rwould wrote:

Up until the release of the new one I was still playing the original quite regularly.

We played the new one, liked it, but was not convinced it was much better than the old one.

Then my friend came round, and I had lent the new one to someone to try so we dug out the old game. And boy, was it slooooow. We realised what a fantastic job FFG had done of bringing the game up to date with fresh mechanisms.

My buddy and I had the dead opposite experience. We tried very hard to give the new one a fair shot, but after four sessions decided we'd had our fill, and returned to the original. What a difference! We'll never play the FFG version again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.