Recommend
166 
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Diary of a Newbie rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Y
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
July 2008: Purchased Carcasonne H&G after visiting a friend’s gameroom .
Played same and enjoyed it.

August 2008: Purchased Settlers of Catan. “Shut UP! This is the coolest game ever!”

August – December 2008: Played SoC about 1000 times. Ok, it was actually only 24 times, but it began to seem like 1000.
Introduced lots of family and friends to SoC. "Everyone loves it."

January 2009: “Starting to get tired of SoC. I hear there’s an expansion….”

February 2009: Purchased SoC Seafarers. “Ahhh, the variety! “

February 2009: “Beginning to tire of SoC Seafarers.”

March 2009: Discoved website www.boardgamegeek.com. “Wow, look at all of these games! And Settlers is barely ranked in the top 50??”

March 2009: Purchased Puerto Rico. “Love it.”

April 2009: Purchased Power Grid. “Awesome.”

May 2009: Purchased Caylus. “Ummm….. need to study up on this one a little more”.

June 2009: Purchased Carcasonne Big Box and El Grande. “Ridiculous. These games rock.”

July 2009: Purchased Dragonland at half price. Learned that some games are half price for a reason.

July 2009: Purchased Ticket to Ride: Europe. “A great hit with the family.”

August 2009: Brought Caylus to the game table again. “Ummm….”

September 2009: Began to explore boardgamegeek a bit more. “ There’s more here than just a list of games!”

Started to read the forums. “There’s lot of strange abbreviations here… FFG, FLGS, OLGS, CCG, WTF… I don’t understand.”

September 2009: Found the BGG Glossary which defines most of the unknown terms. “Cool”.

“I still can’t find WTF…”

November 2009: Purchased Lost Cities and Pandemic. “Great!”

November 2009: Emailed a technically savvy friend, “Dude what is WTF?”.

He responded “Uh, vulgar slang for ‘Are you serious?’.”

“Cool. That’s useful.”

November 2009: Read several lengthy forum debates about buying from a FLGS versus OLGS.
Felt guilty for my past online transgressions and hoped FLGS would stay open long enough for me to visit again.

Visited FLGS. Spent $114 to ease my guilt which caused my normally mild-tempered wife to become slightly irate. “It’s almost Christmas time and your blowing money on more games for yourself!?”.
“Well”, I replied “they’re not just for me, they're for all of us”.

Right...that worked. WTF?

December 2009: Got Agricola for Christmas (now I understand why she got mad). “A blast, but I can’t pronounce it right to save my life. Keep on hearing the Ricola cough drop commercial in my mind... AG-RI-CO-LAAA!” (Thanks www.boardgameswithscott.com for that.)

December 2009: Emailed Pastor of church to ask if I can have a game night on the premises for New Years Eve.
He emailed back, “I need a bit more information. What type of games?”

I responded “WTF? They're just harmless board games. “

New Years Eve game night was a big success. Pastor has been acting strangely towards me.

January 2010: Registered account with BGG. Began spending way too much time on said site.

February 2010: Purchased Roll Through the Ages and Axis & Allies. “Excellent.”

Present Day: Planning to bring Caylus out this weekend. This time we’ll actually play it.

Pastor has a requested a face-to-face this Friday though.

Don’t know what that’s about, but it conflicts with game night. WTF??
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Sachan
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LMAO!!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


thumbsup

bag
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ROFLMAO. This means "very funny". whistle

Welcome to the Geek, David. Looking forward to more uniquely funny posts from you.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:


thumbsup

bag


ditto
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
WTF is this about?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great read, welcome to the family!

d bro wrote:
Started to read the forums. “There’s lot of strange abbreviations here… FFG, FLGS, OLGS, CCG, WTF… I don’t understand.”


As for abbreviations, don't confuse SoC with SOC.

The true abbreviation horror begins if/when (hopefully the later!) you ever dabble in wargaming.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the fold. I also started with Carcassonne Hunters & Gatherers.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Best timeline ever
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
awesome post lol ... and good luck with caylus surprise
and yeah i always hear scott yodeling in my head too when i bring out the gric too!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of Caylus's multiple appearances on this timeline. I can relate.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LJ
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
.
badge
Do or do not, there is no try.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

AWESOME!!

Definately worth a tip!

bag
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MystElden wrote:

AWESOME!!

Definately worth a tip!

bag


QFT!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FTW!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
I'm a big fan of Caylus's multiple appearances on this timeline. I can relate.


Same here. Mine would've gone:

- Read the rulebook. Confused.
- 2 months pass. Read the rulebook again. Still confused.
- 2 more months. Rulebook again. Still confused.
- 2 more months. Set the game up and read the rulebook while simulating a game. Oh, now I get it!

Entertaining post!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Nuts wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:
I'm a big fan of Caylus's multiple appearances on this timeline. I can relate.
Same here. Mine would've gone:
- Read the rulebook. Confused.
- 2 months pass. Read the rulebook again. Still confused.
- 2 more months. Rulebook again. Still confused.
- 2 more months. Set the game up and read the rulebook while simulating a game. Oh, now I get it!
Entertaining post!
Mine would've gone:
- Read the rulebook. Confused.
- 2 months pass. Read the rulebook again. Still confused.
- 2 more months. Rulebook again. Still confused.
- 2 more months. Set the game up and read the rulebook while simulating a game.
- Played with someone else who taught me. Oh, now I get it!
- Sold it!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


Ah, now that's what I like to see, and all aggregated from small tips!

Well done, team BGG.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh and thumbsup
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
d bro wrote:

Present Day: Planning to bring Caylus out this weekend. This time we’ll actually play it.

Pastor has a requested a face-to-face this Friday though.

Don’t know what that’s about, but it conflicts with game night. WTF??


Oh - we WILL expect an update!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Y
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to you all for the kind words, thumbs and tips.

I guess I don't have any excuses now to keep me from getting an avatar...better choose something cool.

Really, thanks again.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Verbeeck
Belgium
Mol
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought Caylus was easier to learn than Puerto rico.

Now for your next trip to the FLGS have you found out what sort of games and mechanisms you particulary like?

Oh and you mention gaming with the family. How young is the youngest member? You got to try turning him/her into your gaming buddy.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Y
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KrisVerbeeck wrote:
I thought Caylus was easier to learn than Puerto rico.

Now for your next trip to the FLGS have you found out what sort of games and mechanisms you particulary like?

Oh and you mention gaming with the family. How young is the youngest member? You got to try turning him/her into your gaming buddy.



Still enjoying the new games we have acquired and really not tiring of any of them yet. I guess my favorite is PR right now because of the turn mechanism. I wont give up on Caylus.

My boys are 8 and 10 and have been playing chess for several years so they do pretty well with many of the new games. They both seem to enjoy Memoir 44 most, although we wish it played with 3 people!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
d bro wrote:
KrisVerbeeck wrote:
I thought Caylus was easier to learn than Puerto rico.

Now for your next trip to the FLGS have you found out what sort of games and mechanisms you particulary like?

Oh and you mention gaming with the family. How young is the youngest member? You got to try turning him/her into your gaming buddy.



Still enjoying the new games we have acquired and really not tiring of any of them yet. I guess my favorite is PR right now because of the turn mechanism. I wont give up on Caylus.

My boys are 8 and 10 and have been playing chess for several years so they do pretty well with many of the new games. They both seem to enjoy Memoir 44 most, although we wish it played with 3 people!


Curiosity, what did the pastor have to say?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gilbert
United States
Salisbury
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dare we say 'genius'? Seriously dude... that be's some brilliant writing.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Derrick
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
d bro wrote:
My boys are 8 and 10 and have been playing chess for several years so they do pretty well with many of the new games. They both seem to enjoy Memoir 44 most, although we wish it played with 3 people!

For playing with two boys 8 and 10, and growin', I'd recommend Axis'n'Allies D-Day. The rules are basically programmed into a deck of cards that spell out the steps of each turn, including the exceptions, and it plays 3 people perfectly, and two boys can gang up as the allies against their dad. It doesn't get any better.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.