Hide
11 Posts

Thunderstone» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules changes I would like to see rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Zan
msg tools
1. I think monster effects that happen in the battle step should affect the outcome of the battle. Currently only stuff that happens in the prep step effects the battle, so things like: battle: -2 strength do not matter since you have your weapons equip already. I think it would be better if battle effects that destroy, remove or reduce cards will cause the cards to get destroy/ unequiped therefore changing the attack total of the party. Yes, it makes the monsters harder, but usually after the first 4-5 turns of the game, I find the monsters too easy anyways. Example: If a battle effect gives you -3 str, then after applying it, all heroes if less str than require for their weapon will have the weapon unequip,, also if a hero is destroyed by a battle effect it will not added its ATK value to the party total since it is destroyed.

2. Monster that say battle: destroy 1 hero, only destroy non militia hero cards, so you can't used them to thin your deck. The battle effect should be a penalty, seems kind of stupid to attack a monster kill it, gain exp and the benefit of removing a junk card like militia out of your deck, its like a mini sphlinx. Usually the monsters with destroy a hero are the stronger, higher vp points than the ones that say destroy 1 militia so I think this seems justified.

AM I crazy? Discuss!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The monsters that give your heroes negatives to their strength DO cause your heroes to drop weapons they no longer have the strength to equip as the rules currently stand. As far as other monster effects go, I've got no problem with them as is. Some of the nastier ones kill the hero with highest strength. You won't likely be tossing out a militia on that one. If you reduce the ways to get rid of useless cards, decks will be full of them and no on will be able to get kills. This will prolong the game and in my opinion, make it a bit frustrating and possibly boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
All glory to the Hypnotoad!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphinx was also identified as errata. The deck thinning ability should be marked as spoils.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eagle-Eyed Superhawk
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Oh, America, what have you done.
mbmbmb
technomage2 wrote:
2. Monster that say battle: destroy 1 hero, only destroy non militia hero cards, so you can't used them to thin your deck.

Militia ARE heros. "Destroy one Hero" can be used to destroy a Militia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zedsdead wrote:
technomage2 wrote:
2. Monster that say battle: destroy 1 hero, only destroy non militia hero cards, so you can't used them to thin your deck.

Yeah, and the OP was suggesting a change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eagle-Eyed Superhawk
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Oh, America, what have you done.
mbmbmb
Gyges wrote:
Zedsdead wrote:
technomage2 wrote:

Yeah, and the OP was suggesting a change.

Ah, got it. I read that as a complaint about a misunderstood rule rather than a rule he'd like to see implemented. Apologies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Vessenes
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is generally this odd situation where if you normally want to rest but you can face a monster that destroys a militia, it's almost always better to fight it and fail. These monsters generally give 2 XP and are worth a non-trivial amount of points. So at the very least, it denies your opponent the chance of both the benefits of killing the monster and the benefits of the destroy effect.

The more I look at the monsters, the more I think the destroy effects were costed as if they were detriments, when the vast majority of them are benefits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that it can become pretty easy to kill monsters near the end.

Here is a variant I was pondering:
How about a 5 or 6 slot dungeon? It gives you a reason to keep upgrading heroes and buying Lightstone Gems and the like. The last game that I played each of us were usually able to kill the new monster that came off the deck, so it felt a but luck-based for who got what.

With a potential -12 attack penalty it might protect the deeper monsters from sniping and set up some pretty EPIC deep dungeon runs. You could even put some 1 VP treasure tokens at the deepest level of the dungeon and add a victory point bounty for actually defeating the monster at the deepest level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jayne s
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
i'd like to see disease cards effect you in the end. in dominion, curse cards effect your final outcome...i'd like to see that aspect brought over to thunderstone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Zan
msg tools
tedv wrote:
There is generally this odd situation where if you normally want to rest but you can face a monster that destroys a militia, it's almost always better to fight it and fail. These monsters generally give 2 XP and are worth a non-trivial amount of points. So at the very least, it denies your opponent the chance of both the benefits of killing the monster and the benefits of the destroy effect.

The more I look at the monsters, the more I think the destroy effects were costed as if they were detriments, when the vast majority of them are benefits.

That is what I believe too. It seems a lot of the destroy a hero effects are more of a benefit than a penalty. I am always looking for ways to get milita out of my deck more so than any other card. SO getting 3 xp and vp for killing a monster and removing a milita too? Seems like a lesser pwoerful splinx but still a benefit. Why bother resting when you can get the same benefit as rest and get xp and vp at the sametime? That is why I think the ones did specifically say Hero, you should have to kill a non militia hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Gaamessz... need more Gaammesz...
mbmbmbmbmb
quite often after I've trimmed my deck the destroying of a "good" hero causes me to avoid the monster. So it does work both ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.