Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Smalley
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This came up a LOT in my first game. I know I, and my wife, can be trying to put a rule in where there shouldn't be one. However, I would like to know; when a clue card says "within site of _____" would that include counting across an ocean hex?

There is a good example in the instructions of what the situation would look like. At the bottom of page 2; would those black cubes be "within site of" that palm tree?

We played it as though oceans can't obstruct the view if freaking mountains and jungles can't but I still want to see it in black and white if I can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you cannot "see" across ocean.

In my version of the rulebook on the front page of the 1-page setup sheet it states:
Quote:
The ocean does not belong to the island and there are no ocean spaces.

The new updated rulebook can be found here on this site:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/50459/tobago-rules-upd...

The revision re-worded this particular sentence because I think a lot of people had the same confusion you have. It now says something about "foggy ocean spaces" or somesuch...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Goldstein
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"In Sight of the landmark" just means exactly ONE or TWO spaces away. Nothing to do with vision. And since the ocean has no spaces....there you have it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smalley
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RAWK!

That's pretty black and white to me. Thanks ya'll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drbsgold wrote:
"In Sight of the landmark" just means exactly ONE or TWO spaces away. Nothing to do with vision. And since the ocean has no spaces....there you have it.

I think you've misunderstood the question. In the example the OP cites on page two of the rulebook, there are land hexes that are within two spaces of the palm tree, but wouldn't be considered to be "in sight of" the palm tree because they can only be "seen" across the ocean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.