Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I need a PTO game, especially with the new HBO series on the horizon. EotS and AE are both on my radar. Here are a few thoughts:

1. Most of my gaming is solo, but I've developed the "solo wargamer duality" to the degree that I can play most games solo. C & C: Ancients, for example, presents no problem.

2. Complexity is OK, but I hate feeling like I'm spending most of my time looking at charts and making die rolls that are fairly meaningless. Limited bookkeeping is good.

3. I slightly prefer counters over blocks and hexes over areas, but that is a minor consideration.

4. The decisions and outcomes need to be reasonably historical. (The Allied player cannot win by having the Soviets crush the Japanese in China in 1943.)

5. Lots of fun in 3 - 6 hours is a huge plus.

I'm open to other suggestions. Monster games are out because of time and space restrictions. Thanks for any thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am pretty sure neither one of those can be played in 3-6, campaign games anyways. There are some one year scenarios for EotS but I have not tried them yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well of the two EotS is both more complex and more historical. It gives a real feel of strategic operations. AE is more operational-tactical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play fast, I think you can probably get through a good portion of the campaign game in EOTS in 6 hours. There are scenarios for each year that you can get through in a shorter session. I really like the game, but I think it does take some getting used to and several plays to master. I can't comment on solitaire because I don't play that way.

I haven't played Asia Engulfed, but it looks cool. I think the blocks could create some interesting fog of war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce X
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree completely with Joel. If one game is "lighter," it is AE, but it is not truely a light game. The strategy in EotS is much deeper; I think that it simulates the Japanese situation best and gives them realistic victory conditions.
I enjoy both games immensely
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon thornton
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither ! I think Fire in the Sky: The Great Pacific War 1941-1945 meets your criteria although its difficult (but not impossible) to get hold of as its out of print. Its shorter than the other two, incredibly beautiful to look at and doesnt have any fog of war element so easier to play solol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fire in the Sky really didn't hold my interest. Any thoughts on how either game plays solo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig Goodfellow
Canada
Allanburg
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Have not played AE but agree that it looks cool. The Blocks are always a good play feature FTF. Have played EOTS 5 or 6 times through but only solo while initially learning. The games excellence comes from many pluses, one of which is the cards to drive play. I think you would have to be extremely multi-person to forget what was in other factions hand while playing cards. Now the game plays very well via Vassal and is supported in ACTS so why play solo mostly? Join the crowd and play live opponents again. War-gamed for years and a lot of it solo. found Vassal about 7 months ago and got to play 8 of the games in my collection that had never even got punched out before live!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig Goodfellow
Canada
Allanburg
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If you are liking the block system , solo adaptability, Pacific, have a look at Pacific Victory by Columbia. Cane be played quickly, strategic /operational. a pretty good game that fits the hole some people are looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Hansey
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Get both. I did. I like Empire of the sun more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote to Empire of the Sun but it is just my vote. I didn't play Asia Engulfed but I played Europe Engulfed, which I found it too bland to my taste. I generally don't like blocks game though, not to mention how to play blocks game solitaire. EotS might be too heavy to your taste as it is a deep game, in a sense that if you want to find a perfect strategy on how, where and when to attack, the no. of options in front of you is overwhelming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stanoch
United States
Bradenton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both but have played neither. However, after reading the rules for Wahsington's War (my first ever CDG), I am quite motivated to try EoTS. I had FITS but sold it as it was simply impossible for me to get my head around it (It seemed more like an abstract OIL resource management game than a wargame!).yuk

I am curious as to what the forum thinks: are CDG better for solo play than other designs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.