Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Dungeon Lords» Forums » Rules

Subject: General magic question and Magic Shield spell... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Corzo
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. How do the spells in the 3rd- 4th round of combat ever get cast? I just don't see them ever being cast because by the time we get to them, there's never enough magic as any sensible player will get rid of the magicians first.

It takes 1 MP in round 1, then 2 MP's in round 2, 3 MP's in round 3, and 4 MP's in round 4, right? You count up the magic icons on the magicians(and paladins) in the party and if they don't have enough collectively the spell isn't cast correct?

Shouldn't it be the other way around? 4MP's in round 1 , 3MP's in round 2, etc...that way even the 4th round combat card might have an effect on the game?

2.So if I have no magicians in my adventuring party, I can ignore the combat cards (spells) completely?


3. Does Magic Shield retroactively prevent 1 pt of damage from a trap card or does it only prevent damage from monsters etc...

We found it strange that we resolved the trap then the spell goes off after the trap resolved and now it prevents the trap damage??? Doesn't make thematic sense so we didn't allow it. I mean the magician didn't get his spell off till after the trap was triggered and resolved. The other way around the magician would always be walking around with a magic shield spell up to prevent trap damage.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Blustar wrote:
1. How do the spells in the 3rd- 4th round of combat ever get cast?

It's rare, true, but it CAN happen. I've seen it happen when a Dungeon Lord, faced with the Paladin, was surprised by the "Metamorphosis" spell, lost a big monster, and was unable to get rid of the 2nd year Paladin and a 3-Magic symbol Magic user.

Blustar wrote:

Shouldn't it be the other way around? 4MP's in round 1 , 3MP's in round 2, etc...that way even the 4th round combat card might have an effect on the game?

No, it shouldn't. Trust me.

Blustar wrote:

2.So if I have no magicians in my adventuring party, I can ignore the combat cards (spells) completely?

You shouldn't ignore them. Those cards have the Fatigue levels for each round. However, you are correct that Dungeon Lords who are not faced with Magic Users in their party of Adventurers will be unaffected by the Spells on the cards.

Blustar wrote:

3. Does Magic Shield retroactively prevent 1 pt of damage from a trap card or does it only prevent damage from monsters etc...

It prevents damage that has yet to occur. The damage from the trap happens BEFORE the spell is cast, and so cannot be affected by the spell.

This is a truly great game. Hope you enjoy it!
TK
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Blustar wrote:
any sensible player will get rid of the magicians first.


Maybe. But if you also have a rogue and a priest, then you have some decision making to do.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoo wrote:
Blustar wrote:
any sensible player will get rid of the magicians first.


Maybe. But if you also have a rogue and a priest, then you have some decision making to do.

If I have any traps, I usually go for the Thief first, depending on whether I've seen the cards or not and what year it is.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
Smoo wrote:
Blustar wrote:
any sensible player will get rid of the magicians first.


Maybe. But if you also have a rogue and a priest, then you have some decision making to do.

If I have any traps, I usually go for the Thief first, depending on whether I've seen the cards or not and what year it is.


Exactly my point. It's feasible for a wizard to survive into the later rounds if you have more important things to do. So let me ask you: if you had no knowledge of the cards, would you target the wizard before the thief?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Blustar wrote:

Shouldn't it be the other way around? 4MP's in round 1 , 3MP's in round 2, etc...that way even the 4th round combat card might have an effect on the game?


No. If it was, then wizards in the first year would be effectively useless. I've never had more than 2 MP in year 1 and have only once had a combat last to the third round. Having the MP required equal the round also tries to punish players who use delay tactics, and is something for them to consider.

Blustar wrote:

2.So if I have no magicians in my adventuring party, I can ignore the combat cards (spells) completely?


Yea, in that case you don't need to worry about the spells. Don't forget to keep an eye out for the fatigue on each card though.

Blustar wrote:

3. Does Magic Shield retroactively prevent 1 pt of damage from a trap card or does it only prevent damage from monsters etc...


Trap phase comes before fast spells. So, the Magic Shield doesn't do anything against the previous trap damage.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Champie
United States
Eureka
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, keep in mind that if you don't deal them any damage, the magic shield will actually prevent the first FATIGUE damage instead!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Corzo
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game rocks!

Just wanted to throw that out there...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.