Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zev Neumark-Gaudet
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

So far I've played 4 2 player games all of these with the Undead (see my microbadge... )

My question is just to check if I'm playing this right...

If I have 4 necromancers and draw 2 orbs during combat, do I add 4 Reanimates or only two? We've been playing 2 PER orb, but I've won 3 of these four games...

The undead seem slightly overpowered, at least with two players...

Anyway how have your games been with Undead so far?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 per Orb is correct, provided you have enough Necromancers to trigger the effect. (Seems like you do, from your example).
TK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Courtney
Canada
New Westminster
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've played the elves 4 times against the undead, and have been giving my opposition hell with my archers. Getting my orbs off and targeting the necros.Then finishing off the reanimates with the pegasis.
Had so much fun with this game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tcsparkie wrote:
Getting my orbs off...

This game seems to be getting a lot of gamers' "orbs" off.
TK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
tkelly wrote:
2 per Orb is correct, provided you have enough Necromancers to trigger the effect. (Seems like you do, from your example).
TK

You can always trigger the Necromancer's effect, even if they are killed by simultaneous Pegasus Riders or something. The Concurrent Attack rule guarantees this. All cards drawn are ALWAYS resolved.

The only time you won't be able to resolve the ability of an Orb that you draw is if the power on the Orb requires "standing units" that you don't have (like the Berserker's power). The Necromancer's power doesn't say you have to have any standing units at the time you resolve it, so any Orbs pulled WILL be resolved, per the Concurrent Attack rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zev Neumark-Gaudet
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
tkelly wrote:
TK

You can always trigger the Necromancer's effect, even if they are killed by simultaneous Pegasus Riders or something. The Concurrent Attack rule guarantees this. All cards drawn are ALWAYS resolved.

The only time you won't be able to resolve the ability of an Orb that you draw is if the power on the Orb requires "standing units" that you don't have (like the Berserker's power). The Necromancer's power doesn't say you have to have any standing units at the time you resolve it, so any Orbs pulled WILL be resolved, per the Concurrent Attack rule.

Yeah but as said above, the Elves' archers can pick off the necros before they get a chance to resolve their special.

Actually, the closest game we played so far has been my undead vs elves.

So far the undead just assassinated the humans...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, to answer the OP's question, while I've found the Undead to be powerful, I'm not convinced yet that they are OVERpowered. Here are the "detriments" of the Undead:

- Two types of Triangle units, one of which is VERY slow. Triangle units aren't great fighters. (The Humans have 2 Triangles also, though).
- The Necromancers, while fast, aren't very "powerful" by themselves - their main strength lies in creating Reanimates; They only do damage with 4 of the 30 cards, and only rout with 2 of the 30. IE, they don't "fight" well.
- Reanimates, while easy to swarm with, are SLOW; there's a good chance that they can be hit quite a bit by faster, harder-hitting units. And their special power is only useful if there are at least 2 of them standing when they resolve.
- Undead have NO Rectangle units; of the 4 units they have, only one, the Death Knight, really has high damage potential; the two Triangle units depend on swarms to be really effective.

They are potent, because swarming is somewhat "easy" for them, but they can be countered by races that have the ability to deal damage to Triangle units en masse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zev Neumark-Gaudet
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
For what it's worth, to answer the OP's question, while I've found the Undead to be powerful, I'm not convinced yet that they are OVERpowered. Here are the "detriments" of the Undead:

- Two types of Triangle units, one of which is VERY slow. Triangle units aren't great fighters. (The Humans have 2 Triangles also, though).
- The Necromancers, while fast, aren't very "powerful" by themselves - their main strength lies in creating Reanimates; They only do damage with 4 of the 30 cards, and only rout with 2 of the 30. IE, they don't "fight" well.
- Reanimates, while easy to swarm with, are SLOW; there's a good chance that they can be hit quite a bit by faster, harder-hitting units. And their special power is only useful if there are at least 2 of them standing when they resolve.
- Undead have NO Rectangle units; of the 4 units they have, only one, the Death Knight, really has high damage potential; the two Triangle units depend on swarms to be really effective.

They are potent, because swarming is somewhat "easy" for them, but they can be countered by races that have the ability to deal damage to Triangle units en masse.

Yeah I agree with this.

One of the games where I really crushed was when I controlled a city really close to my home realm that produced rectangle neutral units, i.e. Hellhounds.

With 2-3 of these in my army, I steamrolled the lousy humans...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Courtney
Canada
New Westminster
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
After you peg the Nercos off with the elven archers I would rout 2 triangle base reanimates with the Pegasus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.