Hide
17 Posts

Acquire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Are stock holdings of each player public knowledge? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Bullock
msg tools
In Acquire, are players required to show how many shares of each hotel they have to the other players (prior to an acquisition occurring)? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Kelley
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't remember if the rules say or not, but we just decide befere we start. Open usually plays quicker, but closed is more intense! Either way, this is one of my favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the original intent was that shares and cash are secret, but it was not stated in the rules. When Hasbro published the game, they specifically said in the rules that it is your choice.

If people want to play with everything open and they play quickly it's okay. It's the people who want to play with everything visible so that they can have analysis paralysis who bug me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeDowd wrote:
This is actually a commonly disputed house rule, ...

yup, why there are a ton of threads on this already in this game's forums
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a copy of the AH/WotC rules from the 1999 edition and an actual copy of the game in its most recent printing. The 1999 rules say to choose whether stocks and/or money are open and closed before playing whereas the new edition does not. Still one shoulddo so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played the game once with open holdings. I estimate that the playtime was double that of closed holdings. Never again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann SoFrankly
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found closed stock holdings make for a faster game, but I have found it less strategic. Basically, you are guessing what people have, rather than counting (or at least, I am). YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
I think the original intent was that shares and cash are secret, but it was not stated in the rules. When Hasbro published the game, they specifically said in the rules that it is your choice.

If people want to play with everything open and they play quickly it's okay. It's the people who want to play with everything visible so that they can have analysis paralysis who bug me.

Actually, if you're playing with my group, having stocks and money secret would be tantamount to even more rampant AP! The prevailing thought is that keeping secret what is already known can only benefit those who are best at memorizing, and the act of recollecting is much slower than that of seeing. So, it speeds things up to have everything open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trust me. Increased playing time due to people constantly saying "how many of X do you have? Ok. How many of X do you have? Ok. How many of X do you have?" is not enjoyable or irrelevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann SoFrankly
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, in the end, the answer is, "Whatever you agree to at the beginning of the game."

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Mercado
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At my group we like to have open stocks, but secret money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
dcorban wrote:
Trust me. Increased playing time due to people constantly saying "how many of X do you have? Ok. How many of X do you have? Ok. How many of X do you have?" is not enjoyable or irrelevant.

I'm thinking of replacing the paper stocks with colored discs, so everyone can count everyone's holdings from across the table.

I'll accept closed money. But stocks must be open or I'll sit out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
rmercado wrote:
At my group we like to have open stocks, but secret money.

Yes, we too. Stocks are clearly displayed, so there is no need to keep asking, everyone's stocks are evident, making decisions quick and easy. Money is hidden, so not until the end will the winner be known. (We play most games this way, unless the rules clearly state otherwise.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Grim
United States
Ukiah
California
flag msg tools
In the "real world," assuming these hotel chains would be public stocks, holdings would be transparent, while money, of course, would not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
grimstuffed wrote:
In the "real world," assuming these hotel chains would be public stocks, holdings would be transparent, while money, of course, would not.

Just played this for the first time tonight and I kept thinking exactly the same thing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crowe
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:

When we play (open stocks / closed money), we have everyone stack their stocks in an overlapping fashion with one edge sticking out, similar to how most people stack Monopoly deeds. Blocks of 5 are stacked solid and turned sideways. This makes it much easier to count them.

Admittedly, this may work better with some versions than others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Sauer
United States
Hamilton Square
NJ
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.shootagaingames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played easily a thousand or more games of Acquire over the last thirty years. The game was designed to have hidden stock, however I have always played with the house rule of open stock since you can perfectly track it which means it adds an element of memory which to me reduces strategy .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.