Popular Tags: [View All]
Game Heretics
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The last few weeks have seen an unfortunate drop of two regular members of The Guild of Losers; only really until May but I'm already being asked about 5-player variants for this excellent game. We've played A Game of Thrones-vanilla for 5-players but found some basic shortcomings as far as board position. The 1st expansion supposedly fixes this but I'm not if the fix 'sticks' with 5-players without having to graduate to the 6-player game.

So, back to Dip I am drawn. Looking at both the Ancient Med and South American 5-player game maps I can't see which is a potentially better playing experience.

Thoughts from those who are in the 'know'?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romain Jacques
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I dont know the two variants you are talking about but with five payers I suggest the Classical http://home.pacbell.net/andyhre/classicf.gif

After the death of Alexander his empire is split in three parts: Egypt, Persia and Macedonia with two increasing powers Roma and Carthage. All powers are in circle around the Mediterranean Sea and will be touching there two neighbours by land pretty soon. But the middle is too rich in supply centers to be ignored. And all powers that want to grow will have to deal with all players.

A very well balanced map, with an odd number of supply centers to avoid a 2-way draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Ancient Med, but I've played many games of South America, and I really enjoy it. I find it to be a very good substitute for the full game. There's plenty of interaction, and opportunities for shifting alliances. There's also the same feeling of sure-to-be-mine neutral SCs, mixed in with the this-one-will-be-contested SCs.

Well worth printing out big and nice. I mounted my print on an old gameboard from a thrift store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Mabie
United States
Oxford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to confuse the situation even more, but...

A third possible option, one that actually is considered to be the "most balanced variant possible," is Chromatic.

A summary can be found here.

I've played all 3 of the Variants mentioned via PBEM, and to be perfectly honest enjoy all three of them quite well. Chromatic is obviously balanced; the other two maps are well-balanced as well (I've won as each power in South America, and seen each power in Ancient Med win as well). IMO, whichever you choose, you can't lose.

BTW, South America also has a 4-player version available (somewhat different map), just in case someone doesn't show up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend Machiavelli

Seriously, I wouldn't play Diplomacy with 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Jeremiah_Lee wrote:
I haven't played Ancient Med, but I've played many games of South America, and I really enjoy it. I find it to be a very good substitute for the full game. There's plenty of interaction, and opportunities for shifting alliances. There's also the same feeling of sure-to-be-mine neutral SCs, mixed in with the this-one-will-be-contested SCs.

I'll second this recommendation. This map is balanced and available for free in the files section via an ms powerpoint.

As to the shortcomings on the board position in Game of Thrones - how is that any different than starting as Austria-Hungary in vanilla Dip? (Also, if you're referring to the weak starting position of Lannister, you know there is an official "fix" involving adjusting Greyjoy's position on one of the tracks, right?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.