Jan-Willem Schmidt
Netherlands
Biddinghuizen
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Trying to hit that arrow!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Germans need to clear out Farm 158, where Soviet-troops are hiding.
Soviets only reveal themselves when Germans get within a three-hex range. The Soviet-spots are marked with coins, and a dice roll is made to determine what kind of unit it will be (this worked really nice!).

Knowing that the Soviets only show themselves within a three-hex range made the Germans move carefully one at a time, the Soviets passing (well, time is on their side). So at the end of round one it looked like this:

OK, round two and time to get in some action. The Germans move cautiously forward, and the first Soviets revealing themselves are two rifle units. They get to fire for free before their turn begins, and they hit one of the German units. The Germans rally succesfully. Because of the fact that all German units have LOS, they all can fire at the Soviets. The first two units are thus killed. The next units that are revealed also are two rifle units. The fact that it are two units will be crucial at the end, because the Germans get one point for each Soviet unit killled.

At the end of round two it looked like this.

In round three it's essential for the Germans to get to the control markers, because at the end of each roound from now on, a control marker means a victory point. The Soviets really had some bad shooting, while the last unit at the farm turned out to be a sniper.
The Germans kept firing hard, eliminating all Soviets hiding in the farm.
They even got some APs left to move into the farm, controlling it and move some units towards the woods.

Now it againg was time to move cautiously towards the woods, getting all intact German forces together within LOS of the woods.

The next round really got messy, with lots of firing between the Germans, a Soviet sniper and yet again two Soviet rifle units. The Germans got hit but did some serious damage, gaining again two victory points.

Round six continued with lots of shooting. One German unit moved into the woods to get control, allowing the Soviets to get in close combat. Bad choice for the Germans. Every killled German unit menas two points for the Soviets.

The Final Round was a bit of a let down. The Germans had the most points, so instead of trying to get final control, it meant staying alive for the last remaining German unit. When all APs and CAPs ran out, it was a close 16-12 victory for the Germans.

Final thoughts
Well, the solo rules work really well and this FF was a lot of fun. Like I mentioned, the fact that there were a lot of two Soviet rifle units, proved crucial because it ment two German points instead of one.
And allthough the game ends after seven rounds with a victory for the Germans, it's a bit unsatisfying, because the mission was to get control, and they didn't. Now we will never know if the last German unit did survive, escape or get control of the woods.........

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Beaver
United Kingdom
Newcatle/Gateshead
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the great description. One point though; looking at the photos it looks like your German forces are not within 3 hexes of the Soviets i.e. one out! This could make a big difference to the outcome.

If that is the case, I have to admit I made the same mistakeblush

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan-Willem Schmidt
Netherlands
Biddinghuizen
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well what I did was moving all germans just out the three hex-range and than moving one unit within 3 hexes. This means the soviet reveals himself and firing for free, but after that all german units can fire at the soviet unit. At the last picture the german unit that was within 3-hex range is destroyed, but the last unit that was four hexes away, still can shoot at the soviets.

So I assume I did it right :what:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Beaver
United Kingdom
Newcatle/Gateshead
flag msg tools
mb
That sounds right to me. A very clear and helpful report.

The "within 3 hex rule" could do with an example of what that means exactly. My interpretation is that there would be 1 blank hex between the forces i.e. 1(German) 2 (blank hex) 3(Soviets), or is it 1(German) 2 (blank hex) 3 (blank hex) 4 (Soviets)? I know it sounds a bit nitpicking, but it would make a big difference.

Another thing is to make sure that a revealed troop is within 3 hexes and has LOS i.e. not in the woods behind another unit in woods in LOS.

Perhaps we can have clarification on the 3 hex point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan-Willem Schmidt
Netherlands
Biddinghuizen
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say the latter, at least that's how I played it, Reading the rules it also makes the most sense to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thirdeye333 wrote:
I would say the latter, at least that's how I played it, Reading the rules it also makes the most sense to me.

I think so, too. For easier understanding I always translate "within 3 hexes" to mean "the unit would have to move 3 hexes to reach the other hex".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Beaver
United Kingdom
Newcatle/Gateshead
flag msg tools
mb
ashman wrote:
thirdeye333 wrote:

I think so, too. For easier understanding I always translate "within 3 hexes" to mean "the unit would have to move 3 hexes to reach the other hex".

That makes sense too, but I'm still divided on this one.
This is why; one of the hidden units is a SMG with a range of 2. Rule 7.6 says range "...is the number of hexes away the unit may fire... To me that is subtly different to "unit is within ... hexes"

This would mean that in this situation:
1 (German) 2 (hex) 3 (Soviet SMG) the Germans could be fired upon.

However, with 1 (German) 2 (hex) 3 (hex) 4 (Soviet SMG) the Soviets would be out of range for normal SMG fire and remain hidden.

Broadened out to a real situation (if a hex represents 40-50m), the Soviets would have to decide whether a shot at around 100-150m with small machine gun fire range would be worthwhile to reveal themselves? At around 50-100m it may be worth it. There are plenty of experts on WWII that could give us an informed opinion on this - aside from the actual rule.

I hope we don't hijack this thread which should be about a very good report. Apologies if I've started that. Perhaps we should start a new one about this rule - if we don't get a definitive answer soon.

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there,
Great report. I've done this one a couple of times now. The first one I approached the farm in a similar way you did, but was torn apart by the time I had eliminated the Soviets holding it. It was a loss for me.

The second attempt, I swung out and did a hook around the trees, took those reds, then did probing approaches to the farm house. I also won an points with this one as I was not able to clear the house, too many double unit draws.

I'm actually thinking about setting it up for another run while the Girlfriend watches Biggest Loser. Probably will set it up as the basic version, as I've tried it twice as well with the optional Mortar squads, and I was totally annihilated before the 3rd round was out both times.

The Soviet mortar teams can hit anywhere on the map, and if placed correctly, will be very hard to even get seen, let alone taken out. This doesn't mean I'm not going to try the optional setups again, I will, it's just I can't seem to figure out how to do it.

Well thanks again on the report.
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,
Trying not to hijack the thread either, but the "within" discussion has got me thinking.
Overall, the spotting issue that is being discussed for this FF, is based on the Germans moving through the country side trying to clear it of Soviet ambushers, not the Soviets truing to ambush this small squad coming down their road, they've got bigger fish to fry.
The rule to go by for this FF is the Germans are the ones spotting the hidden troops when they get within 3 hexes of a hidden square, so it wouldn't matter if the SMG squad was revealed at a disadvantage to them, it's the Germans that rousted them from their hiding spot against their will.

Now the debate about the within term is what needs to be sorted I guess. I'm not too sure. I don't think it is a "range" of three. It's more like a range of two. Although I initially played it as Range, so I think it may have thrown my game off a bit. If it's looked as being a range of 2, then the SMGs will be effective, and not just a bunch of guys caught with their pants down.

So, in my opinion, it should be listed listed as a "spotting range of two" which might be a little easier to understand.

Unless I'm wrong, then it should be a "spotting range of three", which would be better for the Grenadiers,
"Hey, look at those tools hiding it the bushes, let's show 'em we can see 'em."

Anyway,
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,
Well I'm playing another round of FF4 during the commercial breaks in Republic of Doyle, and I think I was wrong in my earlier comment. I was reading the example in the firefight for the spotting rule, and based on the I13 location, it would indicate that it is a spotting range of 3.

I think.

For now.

Help.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that I can help here. Range of 3 means 3 hexes away from a Soviet unit. The previous example is correct, it is as if moving 3 hexes.
Uwe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan-Willem Schmidt
Netherlands
Biddinghuizen
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Uwe!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Beaver
United Kingdom
Newcatle/Gateshead
flag msg tools
mb
That's sorted that one out.
Seems I played it right - even though I thought I was wrong

Thanks Uwe, Chris & Jan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
cool,
Thanks Uwe.
And thanks guys, I gotta say I am enjoying this FF. but had horrible luck with a run last night. three Soviet attacks in a row produced a skull chit each time. Rough.
Thanks again
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there,
Well I ran this one solo again this evening and didn't lose a unit. Now I wasn't using the variable APs option, I'll try it again with that and see how it comes out. I'm going to go on to FF5, since after looking at the setup again with the optional mortars it looks to be impossible for the Germans, unless the Soviets roll poorly.
I really enjoyed this FF, and I can see myself coming back to it time and again.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Try giving the Soviets only one mortar. It may work better for you. Our play testing showed that it was balanced, but in the German firefights, we lowered the Soviet setup to only one mortar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Beaver
United Kingdom
Newcatle/Gateshead
flag msg tools
mb
Just finished a solo session variant 1 with extra mortars.

Turned into a fascinating engagement. One soviet mortar unit was firing from behind the building control paying one more to fire as indirect. The dice rolls were fair and initiative went both ways. The Soviets drew some poor cards e.g. "Mark as Spent" and later extra CAPs which they were unable to take due to excess losses.

Anyway, the Germans won 14-8 with both control points taken and held. The building was taken at the end of the 3rd round. Only one, stunned Soviet unit was left at the end and the Germans had 3 units left with one a HMG unit a bit battered.

My tactic was to probe with the first Pnz gren unit and bring in the mortars or HMG when Soviets spotted (it was a major loss when the mortars were killed in the 3rd round). The other tactic is to keep the HMG at the rear. With their 2 to shoot and huge range they are deadly to any revealed Soviets. One unit swung round the building and took out the Soviet mortar unit in short range fire and a lucky throw against the remaining unit in the building meant they were quickly overcome.

The HMG swung round the wood just out of range while another unit probed and uncovered more Soviets. The wood control was easily taken, but the Soviets defended stoutly in the woods and the turns began to run out for the Germans to wipe out all defenders.

A nice session.

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan-Willem Schmidt
Netherlands
Biddinghuizen
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will give your tactics a try this weekend!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Beaver
United Kingdom
Newcatle/Gateshead
flag msg tools
mb
ca_squires wrote:
had horrible luck with a run last night. three Soviet attacks in a row produced a skull chit each time. Rough.
Chris

Wow. How unlucky is that!

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Beaver
United Kingdom
Newcatle/Gateshead
flag msg tools
mb
One question I have about this FF is the use of the demolition charge. I've never actually used it. Am I alone in this?

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan-Willem Schmidt
Netherlands
Biddinghuizen
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David B wrote:
One question I have about this FF is the use of the demolition charge. I've never actually used it. Am I alone in this?

David

No, I never seem to get close enough to use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,
The only times I got into range to use the charge was when I was sending pzrgrn into the woods to reveal soviets, trying to expose them to flanking fire from the HMG that was hanging out in the field. I got into close combat, and didn't even think to use the charge, just wailed away in close combat.
I still haven't gone back to try this one with variable AP's or the other mortar option that Uwe suggested. I went onto FF5 and I'm suddenly very discouraged with this game. I can't get the LOS figured out in relation to Balkas and my research here and in the book, I feel like i'm going in circles. But I'm already posting about it elsewhere., though if you feel like you can help, I'd love to hear it.
I might go back and try the mortar option, then the variable AP.
Thanks guys,
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Beaver
United Kingdom
Newcatle/Gateshead
flag msg tools
mb
I was going to reply and try to help, but I think Uwe has done it for me.
Don't let this LOS/Balka problem put you off. I find the best thing if I'm really stuck and can't find a solution here is to try and put CoH problems into real life situations and you can usually make sense of it i.e. what would they do if under fire from x in position y, etc.

By the way, I really enjoyed FF6 solo. Deceptive and throws up surprises.

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey David,
Thanks, but yeah I think Uwe confirmed what I finally figured out. I'm not done with this beast yet, I'm going after FF5 tomorrow, today's snow day wound up being rain only, so I thought about taking those hills while laying hardwood floor. Not the same, but still gotta keep line of sight in mind.
ba-zinga.
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So is it a given that you can't use normal rules regarding hidden units--i.e. firing from range into the hexes to see if you hit something--and you instead are required to close the range? Because if not, the Germans could simply blast away from their initial positions for the better part of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.